Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Hehr window question

Tilt out vent window failed after the third "repair" with epoxy and such..... Ordered new replacement window. This is just the lower, movable part of the window. Replace was $$$ as described in other posts but at least it doesn't fit very well. After all the wiggling and pushing and pulling while at 90 degrees the window is installed correctly but the gap between the upper (fixed) pane and the new lower flip out pane is rather wide. at least an 1/8 of an inch wider than the original window. Not hard to understand as comparing them side by side it is clear the locking channel is located closer to the upper edge of the window by about 1 mm on the new window where it was recessed about 1mm on the old one. Walking around the coach this variance in gap seems to be within the "acceptable" tolerances observed from the other windows.

I was considering stuffing a closed cell foam filler rod or some such item into the gag as viewed from the outside of the coach. This would seem to help hide the gap and help with wind noise and water intrusion. Calling around this does not appear to be a novel idea as some reports that Hehr windows like this come from the factory with a filler foam rod stuffed into that gap...??? First I heard of this but a well known, experiened Entegra tech told me to take the filler rod out first before drilling out the rivets for the operator and removing the window. Since i could not find it i assume it was never there.

Have you guys replacing windows, especially just the tip out vent portion, noticed any sort of rubber or foam filler in the gap between the windows from the factory?

The filler seems like an obvious piece for reducing wind noise on the passenger vent window and water intrusion also but is it there and has anyone seen it?

I'm canvasing all the hardware stores for suitable closed cell foam black backer rod but haven't found the right stuff yet. Mean time the new window rode out the storm last night with a cut-to-length piece of rubber vavuum hose filling the void between the windows. No leak and quiet in the wind so it is still in there. Window operates fines without overly compressing the filler material.

Looking for other experiences and ideas on this from others who have replaced windows.

Thanks for the usual help and input!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

I replaced one and there was a piece of round foam that I removed before drilling and removing the window. I ruined the foam taking it out, so bought a new roll of it on the internet (couldn't find it anywhere else). Had to buy a couple before I got the right size. Can't remember the size for sure, but it came in small rolls (10 or 25'). The problem that I had with the window was that they started putting a mark inside the groove that the little wheels run inside, and that moved the window about 1/4" to the right when it was closed. I am looking for something to remove the bumps in the groove, but can't find anything to do it with (YET). I have traveled without the foam, and the window shifted to the right, but there isn't any wind noise, so might leave it as is for now, until I have to change the lower window again. I have used more than one per year, so it probably won't be too long to wait. Not sure the foam is necessary.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

Two thoughts, first, the 2017s have a one piece window with no tilt out. The tilt out doesn't do much except break, so maybe as a long term solution, ordering an entire window for a 2017 would be a good solution. Obviously Entegra has figured this out.

Second, I'm assuming the repair problem you're having is delamination between the inner and outer window. If that is the case, I've had good success using a commercial grade urethane based adhesive to glue the window halves together. Glued them one and done on several windows...much better than exercising the warranty to get another Hehr window that delaminates within a short time at the foam tape they use to put them together .

Try 3M 08693 or Sikaflex 220+
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra must have stopped putting the 2017 passenger tilt out window later in the production year because the two Anthems that were on display at Quartzsite one had the tilt out window and one did not.

With regards to replacing the window I drilled out the rivets and then removed the window without removing the small roll of foam at the top hinged part. To reinstall I found that the window would not lock in unless the foam was put in after the window was in place.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

guys, thanks for the replies and info.

From what I learned in the mean time, the window is supposed to have the foam insert in the gap as viewed from the outside , but, Entegra eliminated it for some reason for most of the 2013 model year production which explains why I could not find it.

I'm going to try and find some closed cell foam packing or backer rod or something? to put in the gap. Since finding out about this seal or packer or whatever it may help reduce the wind noise we get around the front passenger window. I'm going to give it a try, regardless.

I have found that windshield washer tubing will push into the joint quit nicely and has plenty of compressibility/flexibility to allow the window to open easily so I may just use that. At least I found out the seal was not a figment of someones imagination and that there is an explanation why our coach does not have it.

Thanks again! AWC
Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Two thoughts, first, the 2017s have a one piece window with no tilt out. The tilt out doesn't do much except break, so maybe as a long term solution, ordering an entire window for a 2017 would be a good solution. Obviously Entegra has figured this out.

Second, I'm assuming the repair problem you're having is delamination between the inner and outer window. If that is the case, I've had good success using a commercial grade urethane based adhesive to glue the window halves together. Glued them one and done on several windows...much better than exercising the warranty to get another Hehr window that delaminates within a short time at the foam tape they use to put them together .

Try 3M 08693 or Sikaflex 220+

Is it possible to glue these windows back together while they're attached to the motorhome or should they be removed and clamped? Please let me know thanks…
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

my few experiences with hehr windows leaves me to say there not top quality at all
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Is it possible to glue these windows back together while they're attached to the motorhome or should they be removed and clamped? Please let me know thanks…
Possible, but not optimal. I have also used hillbilly duct tape to get me home.

My best fix yet for the small PS window next to the front passenger seat, was to take the window out. Clean it, and mostly separate it. Then used the 3M sealant mentioned above and clamped it for 24 hours. That was the second replacement window and 3rd fix and has lasted a year (so far). I have also had the slider mechanism mounting rail detach from the glass and fixed it with gorrila glue and clamp for 24 hours. That has lasted.

Who new that the windows were such delicate flowers? Not quite as bad as the awnings, but close.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Bob is right, possible but not optimal. That urethane based glue/sealer is amazing in terms of "sticking power". I'd bet a fix with it would last a long time.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I used the 3M urethane adhesive to repair one and it held up well. But it fogged up from the moisture trapped inside, even though I wiped it down good before assembly. It was replaced by Entegra under warranty but now it too is separating. The problem is that the outer glass is huge in size compared to the inner glass so that it can match the angle on the entry door window. When driving the coach the airflow gets underneath the outer pane and tries to pry it away from the coach because the outer pane is above the coach sidewall. My next project will be to remove and reseal it with the urethane but this time I'll drill two small holes in the spacer steel between the two panes - one on each end of the window. I'll then use my nitrogen tank to shoot some nitrogen gas through the window and quickly seal the holes up. Hopefully that will prevent it from fogging later on.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I used the 3M urethane adhesive to repair one and it held up well. But it fogged up from the moisture trapped inside, even though I wiped it down good before assembly. It was replaced by Entegra under warranty but now it too is separating. The problem is that the outer glass is huge in size compared to the inner glass so that it can match the angle on the entry door window. When driving the coach the airflow gets underneath the outer pane and tries to pry it away from the coach because the outer pane is above the coach sidewall. My next project will be to remove and reseal it with the urethane but this time I'll drill two small holes in the spacer steel between the two panes - one on each end of the window. I'll then use my nitrogen tank to shoot some nitrogen gas through the window and quickly seal the holes up. Hopefully that will prevent it from fogging later on.
Mark,

My window showed the wind who was boss and broke the scissor mechanism that holds the window down - popped that rascal open at 70mph in sub 32 F temperatures. When I finally figured out what happened I taped the window down with 2" blue painters tape and went on my way. It sounds like this could be a recurring problem although I haven't noticed other posts about it beside your observation. Mine is under warranty - so, it will be fixed by Entegra this time. I can't tell from your fix how it helps solve the glass being lifted away from the sidewall of the coach.

Greg
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My fix won't eliminate the wind trying to lift the glass. It does prevent the glass from delaminating and I'm hoping the nitrogen eliminate any moisture from fogging. I haven't had any issue with the mechanisms ever failing. The 45A with desk has a large 30x60 one-piece awning style window over the desk. It gets the gaff from the wind too because it's the first window in line and on windy days it will lift and rattle when the cross breezes are from the curb-side and driving at 70 MPH or better. A temporary fix was done at NIRVC by placing a piece of black quarter-round trim (gutter molding if I recall) alongside the leading edge of the window. That acts as a spoiler or diverter of sorts and helps but that is still one large piece of glass and the single latch in the middle of that large window allows the corners to flex and pull away as the window actually bends when the heavy suction gets on that side of the coach. Two latches would correct that although I believe the newer 2018 coaches use a two piece window with only the lower fourth opening on the "A" floorplan.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I'll then use my nitrogen tank to shoot some nitrogen gas through the window and quickly seal the holes up.
Is there anything you DON'T have?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Yes - A window that doesn't leak

Tags
window