Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

House Batteries Again..

well.. needing 8 new house batteries apparently again... went out for the weekend to moab and attempted to dry camp for a few days and found out instantly my batteries were dropping to the 11.8 volt range almost instantly.
4 hours later on generator and about the same voltage...

apparently you do get what you pay for as i tried the wet cell duracell 6 volt golf cart batteries from batteries plus bought new in january 2017 .. not even 2 years out of them..

between this fact and these batteries continuing to set my gas alarm in my coach
from the fumes and the continuing top offs of water.. I am done with wet cells.. lesson learned...

been doing my search for 8 new 6 volt agm sealed batteries... I have narrowed it down to 2 choices at this point

1- full river battery- 224 ah - web solar price 255.00 per battery all measurements to fit tray line up to match

or

v-max battery - on amazon 235 ah all measurements to fit tray line up to match.. about the same price.

web solar is saying a 7 year replacement warranty on the full rivers.. don't know If I believe that..

has anybody recently replaced there house batteries and might have other brand suggestions or have any experience with the 2 batteries I listed? classic anthem or cornerstone..

thanks in advance
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

House Batteries Again..

In April of this year (2018) we replaced the batteries in our ‘14 Anthem with Lifeline batteries. They are a direct replacement size. Very satisfied with the performance.$255 delivered to my home. Another positive with Lifeline. Made in the good old USA.
[ATTACH]217448
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	217448  
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

lowejug-

If I were you, I'd check the charging system. It sounds as if it isn't working correctly (for instance, charging should not release significant fumes). It'd be a shame to spend $2,000 on new batteries and ruin them.

By the way, our little coach has two of the LifeLine GPL-4CT AGMs, as did the last coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to buy vmaxtank batteries which I would recommend buy them directly from www.vmaxtank.com. They have free shipping and a 10% first order discount. It will be cheaper than ebay.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
lowejug-

If I were you, I'd check the charging system. It sounds as if it isn't working correctly (for instance, charging should not release significant fumes). It'd be a shame to spend $2,000 on new batteries and ruin them.

By the way, our little coach has two of the LifeLine GPL-4CT AGMs, as did the last coach.
whats there to check? I am pretty sure my settings are correct? my coach is always plugged into to 50 amp as thats whats at my home and we always are 50 amp at rv parks? am I missing something as I thought this was a automatic setting at least on entegra..
Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

Do you check the water ? If you smell sulfur your batteries are overcharging.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post #3 and #6 might have the answer. Have you checked the voltage while charging is on ? My guess is that your charger is set for Equalize.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallencollin View Post
In April of this year (2018) we replaced the batteries in our ‘14 Anthem with Lifeline batteries. They are a direct replacement size. Very satisfied with the performance.$255 delivered to my home. Another positive with Lifeline. Made in the good old USA.
[ATTACH]217448
these are a consideration... I know these batteries have a great reputation .. looks like there 310.00 per battery now from your 255.00.

less amp hour though then full river and vmax..

overall how are there performance in your anthem? do they sustain for a good period of time when your not plugged just using average components?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
whats there to check? I am pretty sure my settings are correct? my coach is always plugged into to 50 amp as thats whats at my home and we always are 50 amp at rv parks? am I missing something as I thought this was a automatic setting at least on entegra..

I just checked my settings on the magnum
Energy..
Charge rate is at 50%..
I was given the proper settings for these wet cell batteries by don when I first bought them and they are still right on every setting
That’s correct...
Old 09-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What is the gray stuff on the battery tray in the picture? If that is from the batteries there is a serious overcharging situation.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
What is the gray stuff on the battery tray in the picture? If that is from the batteries there is a serious overcharging situation.

I never posted a picture..
those are some one else’s
Mine are clean
Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

You should not be having an alarm go off when charging your batteries. I’m not sure which inverters you have, but I know they are three stage chargers. Each battery manufacturer has the ideal voltage for each stage of charging. Your inverters need to be set for correct voltage for the battery type. Undercharging or overcharging the batteries at any stage will decrease the life of your batteries. I would make sure the inverters are set appropriately and then check the actual voltage with a digital volt meter right at the battery terminal and at the positive / negative posts on the inverter.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just because the settings are correct does't mean the charger is working properly. What is the voltage when batteries are charging? When batteries are charged the charger should go to float at around 13.2 volts. It sounds like your charger is stuck in absorb mode which would be around 14.4 volts. Left at that high of voltage all the time would cook your batteries.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Just because the settings are correct does't mean the charger is working properly. What is the voltage when batteries are charging? When batteries are charged the charger should go to float at around 13.2 volts. It sounds like your charger is stuck in absorb mode which would be around 14.4 volts. Left at that high of voltage all the time would cook your batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	217479
Just took this photo..
Seems it’s right on then

Tags
batteries, house batteries