Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

House batteries discharging while on 30A shore power

Last night I looked at the inverter status and my batteries were down to 11.7 V while still plugged in to 30A service. I verified that we were set to 30A and had not blown the breaker. While on 30A I turn off the breaker to Inverter 1 in the left box above driver seat. I was set to restrict shore power to 5A to avoid battery charging taking too much of the available power. I was under the impression that when connected to 30A that 5A should be sufficient to keep batteries topped off. Overnight, the batteries still only returned to 12.6 V and the inverter was reading as Bulk Charging. This morning I turned Inverter 1 back on and set shore to 10A max on each. Currently I’m up to display showing 13.6 on both but #1 says Float Charging while #2 says Bulk Charging. I wanted to equalize (I know controversial) but I can’t equalize until #2 is no longer in Bulk mode.

Questions
1) Why did my batteries discharge with no problem with the 30A shore power?

2) Is my assumption that I just need to wait to equalize until it has charged longer and switches to Float? Can I equalize from just 1 inverter or should I wait until both can switch to equalize mode? Why are the inverters in different modes?

3) Is this a sign that my batteries are failing? After I equalize, I plan to try to do a battery test to see how quickly the voltage is falling. I was in the shop for service a couple weeks ago and the tech had forgotten to turn my inverters back on and I found the voltage at only 11.8 after just an hour of driving when we realized our charging outlets were not working. I shrugged this off as not knowing how long they had the inverters off while they were doing the maintenance. Will the alternator not charge the batteries while driving if the inverters are off?

4) Any other advice?

May be the excuse I need to decide between Lithium and Lifeline AGM.
tahoexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoexc View Post
Last night I looked at the inverter status and my batteries were down to 11.7 V while still plugged in to 30A service. I verified that we were set to 30A and had not blown the breaker. While on 30A I turn off the breaker to Inverter 1 in the left box above driver seat. I was set to restrict shore power to 5A to avoid battery charging taking too much of the available power. I was under the impression that when connected to 30A that 5A should be sufficient to keep batteries topped off. Overnight, the batteries still only returned to 12.6 V and the inverter was reading as Bulk Charging. This morning I turned Inverter 1 back on and set shore to 10A max on each. Currently I’m up to display showing 13.6 on both but #1 says Float Charging while #2 says Bulk Charging. I wanted to equalize (I know controversial) but I can’t equalize until #2 is no longer in Bulk mode.

Questions
1) Why did my batteries discharge with no problem with the 30A shore power?

2) Is my assumption that I just need to wait to equalize until it has charged longer and switches to Float? Can I equalize from just 1 inverter or should I wait until both can switch to equalize mode? Why are the inverters in different modes?

3) Is this a sign that my batteries are failing? After I equalize, I plan to try to do a battery test to see how quickly the voltage is falling. I was in the shop for service a couple weeks ago and the tech had forgotten to turn my inverters back on and I found the voltage at only 11.8 after just an hour of driving when we realized our charging outlets were not working. I shrugged this off as not knowing how long they had the inverters off while they were doing the maintenance. Will the alternator not charge the batteries while driving if the inverters are off?

4) Any other advice?

May be the excuse I need to decide between Lithium and Lifeline AGM.
Mike,

1. When connected to shore power there is no need to turn off any inverter breakers. When you turned off the #1 breaker in the left box (main AC power) you forced that inverter to invert and use battery power. If the other inverter was set to shore power of 5 amps then the batteries were probably being discharged more than they were getting charged.

While connected to 30 amp shore power you should not need to dial back the shore power setting any lower than the rating for the incoming shore power. If connected to 30 amp shore power set the shore power setting to 30 amp. The only exception to this would be when plugged into a 15 amp residential outlet, then dial shore power back to 5 amps.

2. Yes, you need to wait until your batteries are fully charged (either float or Full) before you can equalize ( not recommended, but the choice is yours). Yes, you can equalize from just one charger or both chargers. If you just use 1 charger then the amount of current is roughly 1/2 of the total. All batteries will get an equalize charge with just 1 charger because the two inverter/chargers are tied together at the back wall behind your batteries so it sees the two trays as one large bank of 8 batteries. If equalizing the lower current of one charger is less damaging that the full current of both chargers. When power was restored to both chargers the key is what voltage was displayed on the Magnum remote panels. If the voltage was lower than approximately 12.6v the charger will go into Bulk then Absorb then Float. If above approximately 12.6v then the charger will go straight to Float charge. I suspect that one was above 12.6v and the other below 12.6v that is why you are seeing what you have.

3. No, your batteries are not necessarily failing. Discharging them to 11.8v will not harm the batteries as long as they are not left in that discharged state for an extended period of time. While driving or using your coach there is usually no need to turn off your inverters. The only exception to this would be if you are dry camping and then turn off the inverter that is not hooked to the fridge circuit and turn it off at the Magnum remote panel not the breaker. This will help to conserve battery power overnight. Your house batteries will charge while driving but not as much as one would think. Through your BIM (battery isolation manager) IF your chassis batteries are above 13.1v AND your house batteries are below 12.6v the alternator through the BIM will charge your house batteries for 1 hour and then switch off. Once the house batteries drop below 12.6v again the cycle will repeat. The inverters being on or off has nothing to do with charging while driving.

4. Stop turning off the inverters when it is not necessary and when you do turn off 1 use the button on the Magnum remote panel. If you use the breaker above the drivers seat while connected to shore or generator power you defeat that charger on that inverter/charger and force it to invert.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
For sure Don is the authority on this subject, but I don't think you can equalize on 30 amp shore power. Maybe, with your coach being a 16 and without the Vegatouch, but I am fairly sure that on my 17 equalization is locked out on 30 amp.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you choose to equalize AGM batteries you are greatly reducing their life. When you equalize an AGM battery you are taking the chance that the pressure in a sealed battery will overcome the pressure valve and vent hydrogen and oxygen. This will dry out the battery and shorten its life.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
For sure Don is the authority on this subject, but I don't think you can equalize on 30 amp shore power. Maybe, with your coach being a 16 and without the Vegatouch, but I am fairly sure that on my 17 equalization is locked out on 30 amp.
Jim,

You are correct on a 2017 (and later) equipped with Vegatouch the system will not allow you to equalize on 30 amp shore power.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
If you choose to equalize AGM batteries you are greatly reducing their life. When you equalize an AGM battery you are taking the chance that the pressure in a sealed battery will overcome the pressure valve and vent hydrogen and oxygen. This will dry out the battery and shorten its life.
Agree 100%. The only exception to the rule is Lifeline AGM batteries, they allow and promote equalizing.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

My 2014 Anthem spent it's stored life plugged into a 15 amp circuit dialed back to 5 amps and did just fine.

When I tried to do the same using the Vegatouch on the 2017 Cornerstone, the batteries discharged over a period of 8-10 days. I've found 5 amps with the refrigerator running is just not enough. I now dial it back to 10 amps on the VT and that works fine. Doesn't really affect the OP per se, but interesting to note for the sake of the thread.

John
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
John,

Interesting point, good to know.

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, power, shore power