Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How cold is too cold for electric AH?

How cold is too cold for aqua hot electric to keep the warm air running from registers?

Last night I had electric only turned on the AH with zones 1&3 selected for gas heat with temp set for 57 degrees. This morning temps in both areas were below 50. Electric element still seems to work as hot water was available from faucets.

So is there some point where diesel is required to produce enough heat for the registers?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Not sure which model AH you have, or how cold the outside temps were, but I know my AH has an electric element equivalent to a small space heater set on high (1500 Watts). Because I am parked in Breckenridge Colorado, my electric side can only keep up during the day in ambient temps above 25 to 30. I keep our inside temps around 67-68. With overnight lows around 7 or so, I have only used about 12-15 gallons of diesel over a 5 week period.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
How cold is too cold for aqua hot electric to keep the warm air running from registers?

Last night I had electric only turned on the AH with zones 1&3 selected for gas heat with temp set for 57 degrees. This morning temps in both areas were below 50. Electric element still seems to work as hot water was available from faucets.

So is there some point where diesel is required to produce enough heat for the registers?
Not to be a smart a$$ but without knowing the Temps No One will be able to give you any meaningful info.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgchampagne View Post
Not sure which model AH you have, or how cold the outside temps were, but I know my AH has an electric element equivalent to a small space heater set on high (1500 Watts). Because I am parked in Breckenridge Colorado, my electric side can only keep up during the day in ambient temps above 25 to 30. I keep our inside temps around 67-68. With overnight lows around 7 or so, I have only used about 12-15 gallons of diesel over a 5 week period.
Thanks, good info. It is an AH 400D
Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Not to be a smart a$$ but without knowing the Temps No One will be able to give you any meaningful info.

Arnold,
Thanks for trying not to be a ...

But I'm not sure how knowing the temps will answer the basic question of How Cold is TOO Cold....unless the answer would be, well those temps are too cold.

The low inside temp was 46 after a high yesterday of 68.
The low basement temp was 46 after a high yesterday of 55.
The low outside temp was 30 after a high yesterday of 55.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Arnold,
Thanks for trying not to be a ...

But I'm not sure how knowing the temps will answer the basic question of How Cold is TOO Cold....unless the answer would be, well those temps are too cold.

The low inside temp was 46 after a high yesterday of 68.
The low basement temp was 46 after a high yesterday of 55.
The low outside temp was 30 after a high yesterday of 55.
Sorry but I live in Arnold, MD -(Maryland) - certainly not an MD, named Arnold.

I would guess something is not Right with your Unit - As kgchampagne - is able to keep his unit warm in much lower temps - as I have also - generally with a little Insulation in the front Windshield - Reflexit - I have been able to keep the Coach at around 70 with just the electric - with outside temps in the upper 20's to 32 -

With only a 16 degree differential between the lows outside and inside I would look for an issue in either the AH or the Insulation/air leaks/seals/vents - as it would appear to mean your unit is not very efficient on electric.

I would think that a minimum of 35 degrees but more likely 40-50 degrees is what the differential should be.

I have kept my Coach above 42 degrees with a 250 watt light in the Basement and one in the Interior of the Coach when I store it.

So I'd guess something might be wrong...............

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

YMMV - I like to be warm. If it is cold enough to need heat in the coach, it is cold enough for me to fire up the Aquahot diesel furnace. If it is not quite that cold, the fireplace will do.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Nothing wrong with your unit. Below about 40-45F the electric side of the Aquahot will not keep up with the thermostat demand especially with zone 1 having to go through all that floor loop before it gets to the registers.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I️ think the 400D has a coolant capacity of 5 gallons. My older unit has 15 gallons of heated coolant, so it stands to reason I️ can store more heat energy, but I️ think your electric side is better than mine (more watts). Either way, turn the burner on!!! 50 degrees is too cold. ...push the button, you won’t regret it.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
48 outside temperature was too cold for my electric to keep up on the AH. Below 50, I turn the burner or fireplace on. I tried electric heat once, woke up to 51 degrees, that was the last time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No idea with my 600D even with it's two 2000 watt elements going. I just turn the burner switch on and let it do it's thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with Don, Chuck and the others that below 50 is the point where you want to turn on the burner if you need it to be comfy thruout the coach. Sometimes we'll go down to the mid 40's before activating the burner if the fireplace is chugging away, but it often starts to get drafty near the front of the coach with all that glass.

Also note turning on the floor heat zone with electric only in outside temps below 50 will likely just result in no heat or hot water. If the floor was already warm (takes many hours with the burner on to get it there) the electric might be able to hold it for a while.

We sometimes turn on the floor heat and the burner in the evening and let it run til bedtime, but turn off the floor heat overnight because for us it gets way too hot. If temps are predicted to stay above 40 we also turn off the burner overnight and set the tstat temps to the mid 60's. If I hear the heat exchangers running continuously I'll turn the burner back on.

The burner then goes on first thing in the morning for showers and to take out any chill, then goes off again when the showers are done unless it is really cold and cloudy out.

Note that the burner puts out 65000 BTU's but the 1650 watts from the electric is equivalent to only 5630 BTU's.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Sorry but I live in Arnold, MD -(Maryland) - certainly not an MD, named Arnold.

JMHO,
Busskipper,
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry about the mixup. I was looking for a name to personalize my response and saw Arnold in your profile.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
48 outside temperature was too cold for my electric to keep up on the AH. Below 50, I turn the burner or fireplace on. I tried electric heat once, woke up to 51 degrees, that was the last time.
Thanks, just what I needed to know.

Tags
electric