Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #1

How long should the batteries last in an Anthem when not connected to shore power?

Guys,
I'm having an issue with our batteries on our 2014 Anthem. After only 5-6 hours on battery power the volts drop down to 10.5 and there's not enough power to start the generator. Entegra thought they found the problem when they checked the inverters and found them programmed for an Aspire, only 1-1/2 hours of charging. So they programmed it to Anthem specs, 2 1/2 hours of charging. Also the auto gen start was set to come on at 10.2 volts, which is way to low and batteries would not be able to start generator at that voltage. They reprogrammed auto gen start to 12.2.
We had the issue just happen again, batteries were down to 10.4, auto gen never started and I had to use battery boost again to start generator. My question is how long should the batteries last with just the fridge, TV, and a few lights on? I can't get more than 5-6 hours. I'm wondering if my batteries have been drawn down so many times that they can't get fully charged now. Entegra said the AGM batteries can come back fine but I'm not seeing it. Can you guys let me know how long your batteries last when not plugged in to shore power?
Thanks
Wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #2

You have a battery or battery charger problem. What kind of charger do you have that they are setting the charge time? Although initial bulk charge can be set on some chargers, they are generally just configured for battery type. After that most chargers have the intelligence to knows how long to charge at bulk and absorption stages before going to float charge. If it is really only charging for 2 1/2 hours, then it can't fully charge a fair sized battery bank that is fully depleted, as yours are.

Fully charge your house batteries and then turn off all DC loads and the charger. Let the batteries rest for a few hours. Then measure the bank voltage. It should be about 12.7V. Also measure the voltage st each battery. Each battery should be nearly the same.

AGMs don't like be fully discharged. It will shorten their life.

Your AGS is broke or not programmed correctly. It could be set for quiet hours. Why didn't it start the generator. Hopefully, it's a unit that integrates with your charger. These use the intelligence of the charger to know when to run and for how long.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
George, by accident, I went from late afternoon until the next morning with just the refrigerator running. I had tripped the circuit breaker in the hanger and the batteries were just about dead in the morning.

I would be concerned why the AGS is not working. Did it ever work at Entegra when they reprogrammed it? I am wondering if the AGS is good?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
George, another thought came to mind...is the AGS being turned on? It goes off after the key has been turned on. Once the ignition has been truned off the AGS has to be turned on again. I hope it is that simple.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
George, another thought came to mind...is the AGS being turned on? It goes off after the key has been turned on. Once the ignition has been truned off the AGS has to be turned on again. I hope it is that simple.

I think it also has to be turned on after a manual generator start. I suppose these are good safety features.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Mine can last from the evening (8 pm.) with some TV watching lights fridge ceiling fan in bedroom to the next morning (8am.) and by then the battery voltage shows 12.4-12.5.

The "2.5 hour of battery charging" setting is for the bulk stage only.

As mentioned previously either the charging is not working properly or the batteries are shot.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I wonder why Entegra bothered putting in the Onan AGS, when the Magnum Inverter is already setup for AGS, AND has intelligent circuits for charging the battery bank based on the state of charge rather than time. On the face of it, it appears they've replaced a sophisticated system with something a bit more primitive.

On the other hand, the Magnum might be too complicated for us dummies to operate.....just sayin'

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

I do not have the same battery system that you have. I have 4 house batteries and it takes about 24 hours on shore power for the batteries to fully charge and go into battery maintainer mode. Also my AGS run time for boon docking is 4 hours. That will still deplete the batteries overnight with the fridge on inverter. On my last trip I learned that some people turn the fridge off overnight while boon docking. I tried that on my last trip and it worked great. Frige still cold in the morning and batteries fully charged. Now I can run the heat all night.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
I wonder why Entegra bothered putting in the Onan AGS, when the Magnum Inverter is already setup for AGS, AND has intelligent circuits for charging the battery bank based on the state of charge rather than time. On the face of it, it appears they've replaced a sophisticated system with something a bit more primitive.

On the other hand, the Magnum might be too complicated for us dummies to operate.....just sayin'

Wmpbauer
Pat,

The battery charge IS controlled by the inverter(s) but as you say the AGS could have been handled by the Magnum as well.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The AGS option on the Magnum (not currently wired for, but could be) looks at battery voltage and temperature (using a probe in the coach) for start requirements. The Onan will use batter voltage on chassis and coach (two separate inputs) or a call signal from the thermostat. So the Onan is more 'reliable' as it will wait for the thermostat to call for A/C or heat then the Magnum version (waits until temperature is above or below X) but either could do the trick.

My anthem batteries do not last too long either. I converted the entire coach to LED lights and that helped, but not totally. I can get from 5-12 hours before the inverters kick off at their low voltage thresholds. I think it may have been battery abuse by previous owners.
jbreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

How many batteries of what size do you have? Five hours just isn't enough. Many dry camping events have quiet hours that exceed that. It would really suck if you are forced to draw your batteries down to 10.5V just to keep from having your generator start before you wake up in the morning. Your batteries sure aren't going to last long being drawn down to 10.5V.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

Make sure the electric heat in the Aqua Hot is turned off on batteries
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
Make sure the electric heat in the Aqua Hot is turned off on batteries
That should not be part of the problem as the electric Aqua hot is not powered by the inverters.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
That should not be part of the problem as the electric Aqua hot is not powered by the inverters.

Unless the burner and electric are both turned off I believe the 12v pumps will circulate fluid? if the thermostats go on or hot water is needed?
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power, shore power