Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Speedco does mine. Oil, filter, fuel filter for about $50. I watched the process. No way I wanna do that.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
I didn't know they would service the generator. For $50 I will let them do mine next time also. Camping World charges $99 for just Oil and Oil Filter. They wanted another $80 for the fuel filter change. Filter is $14 at Advance Auto, and it should take about 5 to 10 minutes depending on familiarity.
rv40072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv40072 View Post
I have been dreading this filter change, so I looked on iRV2 to see if there was a simple way to do this and was about to order special wrenches to allow me to work in the tight spot where the filter is located. I kept thinking there had to be a better way. There is!!

Onan left us a lot of extra hose for a reason.

1. Remove the center nut that holds the filter to the bracket. A standard ratchet works fine for this.
2. After the nut is removed, Push the filter toward the rear of the generator about 2-3 inches. This is why the hoses were left so long!
3. Swing the lower hose toward the engine so it will clear the bracket, and then raise it up and rest it on the top of the bracket.
4. Now that both hoses are on top of the bracket, simply pull the filter back to the front and hang it outside the enclosure were you can easily work on it.
5. From there, just follow your normal procedure for swapping the filter and then reverse the instructions to re-install.

It took about 60 seconds to get the filter out of the enclosure.

I hope this helps as you guys have helped me on numerous occasions.

Dennis
I agree with the long hose comment Dennis however I changed my filter recently and went about it in a little different manner which worked great for me. I didn't find this a difficult process at all. I used standard open end wrenches:
1. Remove the rigid metal fuel line closest to the engine block from the filter.
2. loosen the center mounting nut
3. rotate the fuel filter 45 degrees or so towards the engine thus exposing the other fuel filter fitting with the attached flexible rubber fuel line.
4. Remove the rubber fuel line from the fuel filter fitting.
5. Remove the fuel filter center mounting nut and remove the old filter.
5. Reverse the process for installation

I also thought replacing the air filter was pretty easy. Just remove the three screws in the generator top housing panel and move the coolant reservoir assembly to the side to access the air filter.
macraekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
I have been dreading this filter change, so I looked on iRV2 to see if there was a simple way to do this and was about to order special wrenches to allow me to work in the tight spot where the filter is located. I kept thinking there had to be a better way. There is!!

1. Remove the center nut that holds the filter to the bracket. A standard ratchet works fine for this.
2. After the nut is removed, Push the filter toward the rear of the generator about 2-3 inches. This is why the hoses were left so long!
3. Swing the lower hose toward the engine so it will clear the bracket, and then raise it up and rest it on the top of the bracket.
4. Now that both hoses are on top of the bracket, simply pull the filter back to the front and hang it outside the enclosure were you can easily work on it.
5. From there, just follow your normal procedure for swapping the filter and then reverse the instructions to re-install.

Dennis
I published my take on Dennis' method in another thread a little while back...I believe this is the best method. No special tools, minimal fuel spillage occurs, all of it outside of the cabinet (no messy fuel inside to mop up, just put a pan under it once the filter is outboard) and it takes about five minutes.

edit: pull the dipstick out before you try to remove the filter from the cabinet, makes it easier...
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
I agree with the long hose comment Dennis however I changed my filter recently and went about it in a little different manner which worked great for me. I didn't find this a difficult process at all. I used standard open end wrenches:
1. Remove the rigid metal fuel line closest to the engine block from the filter.
2. loosen the center mounting nut
3. rotate the fuel filter 45 degrees or so towards the engine thus exposing the other fuel filter fitting with the attached flexible rubber fuel line.
4. Remove the rubber fuel line from the fuel filter fitting.
5. Remove the fuel filter center mounting nut and remove the old filter.
5. Reverse the process for installation

I also thought replacing the air filter was pretty easy. Just remove the three screws in the generator top housing panel and move the coolant reservoir assembly to the side to access the air filter.
I agree on the air filter. A lot of people have commented that getting to the air filter was difficult or required removal of brackets, and then was still difficult. Just as you did, I just removed the three bolts that hold the reservoir, slipped it out the side and let it hang, then reached right in for the air filter. No problem.

Dennis
rv40072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree on the air filter. A lot of people have commented that getting to the air filter was difficult or required removal of brackets, and then was still difficult. Just as you did, I just removed the three bolts that hold the reservoir, slipped it out the side and let it hang, then reached right in for the air filter. No problem.

Dennis
DITTO on the air filter. Took all but 5 minutes to change once I read this post. NOW THE FUEL FILTER....DIFFERENT STORY. After cutting 2 knuckles and a few choice words, I decided to wait on my friend to get back from a long weekend to tackle that part. He works maintenance at one of the nearby plants and is good working in close quarters. I did find it though. Seems that there should be an access hatch to make job easier. But then again has any designer ever considered the consumer side of things. Thanks guys for all the knowledge shared on this site.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Speedco does mine. Oil, filter, fuel filter for about $50. I watched the process. No way I wanna do that.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Speedco , in Salt Lake City area would not change the fuel filter on my 2016 Aspire 10K Onan. They did all other filters, oil change etc. $60. They started on the fuel and then they claimed because of having to remove the panel for access they were not authorized to continue with the fuel filter change. ? I then called Cummins while it was still on the rack and they said many shops will not do that one and suggested to take it to a Cummins shop. It didn't look like something I wanted to do.

Are we all talking about the fuel filter on the same gen. RV QD. HDKCA 10K ? If so, I'll take a closer look.Thank's
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #21

I had the HDKCA in an 07 Monaco Exec. There are two bolts on the outside of the compartment or case right next to where the filter is located. Remove both (10mm I think). Pull the filter outside of the door-the lines are long enough. Change the filter, slip it back inside and re install the bracket bolts. It's MUCH easier to do it outside the case. Good luck.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
I have a question which is not fuel filter related. Wy question where is the location of the spar arrestor plug? An shouldn't that be pulled and the genny run under a load for about 15 minutes to clean the soot out? I will be servicing mine in a couple of weeks. Thanks
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Found the answer for the clean spark arrestor, every 250 hours. The location on the HDKCA(10k) and the HDKCB (12.5k) is under the top cover. The 11/16 inch hex head plug is located on the opposite side from the servicing door.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #24

QD 10000 Fuel Filter Change

This is the way.

Fuel filter change takes about 15 minutes including leak check and reassembly. Will be faster with practice and knowing which tools to have ready.

Fuel filter retaining nut: 1/2” socket at ratchet. Just move the flexible lines up and out of the way to get clear access to the nut.

Large fuel line: 5/8” and 11/16” standard wrenches
Small fuel line: 7/16” and 9/16” standard wrenches

Oil plug (in case you’re doing that too): 7/8” standard socket

Prime the new filter for 30 seconds, then proceed with regular start. I primed and ran the genie for a couple minutes to check for leaks before reinstalling inside the cabinet. Then ran it again to make sure the lines didn’t get loose during reassembly.

Quote:

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D267C70-6095-4828-B257-832A7162DC6F.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	323264  
jhartrva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Picture is worth a 1000 words.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #26

I know this is a old thread......................

Thanks everyone! They sure did bury that filter. I looked right at it and didn't see it behind the bracket.

Used the "Dennis" proceedure, took about 20 mins.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I know this is a old thread......................

Thanks everyone! They sure did bury that filter. I looked right at it and didn't see it behind the bracket.

Used the "Dennis" proceedure, took about 20 mins.

Thanks again!
Just hope that you never have to change the fuel pump. The Onan provided cover plate is blocked by the tray slides which means removal of the generator.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Just hope that you never have to change the fuel pump. The Onan provided cover plate is blocked by the tray slides which means removal of the generator.
Ugh!!!!

Tags
fuel, onan