Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

How to remove the dryer from a 2017 Anthem 44B

I finally got my dryer out so that I could get the dryer hose connected to the vent outlet on the back of the dryer. This is an attempt to summarize how for those who may have to go through that process.

First remove:
1. Washer/Dryer doors
2. Ceiling light that is right in front of the dryer
3. valence around the bathroom window

Picture 0: here is a picture taken from the side access panel of the back in the closet.

You have some access here but the space is narrow and filled with the water supply to the dryer. in my case these water pipes were in the way of my dryer vent exit.

Next remove the screws holding the wood trim piece that goes across the top of the dryer.
Removing this top wood trim piece is one of the two difficult parts of a generally difficult process.

Picture 1: Wood trim across the top of dryer

This piece of wood has a larger piece behind it. This larger piece prevents it from being removed and the two parts are very securely attached. So per my discussion with Entegra CS I cut the left side of this wood so I could remove it. Note I tried a variety of things including removing the knobs on the dryer to remove this piece, to no avail.
The next step is the second difficult part of this process. There is a metal plate which is screwed into a piece of wood (behind the plate). The metal plate is glued (solidly) to the top of the dryer and the wood behind it is screwed into the ceiling with very long (2.5 inches I think) screws.
So first unscrew the metal plate and then use a putty knife to remove the metal plate (and some paint) from the top of the dryer.

Picture 4: Metal plate still installed side view

Picture 5: Metal plate removed

Picture 6: Wood piece attached to ceiling

Picture 7: Wood piece removed showing size of screws

After you have removed the plate you must remove the wood piece. The screws are driven at an angle but not at a sufficient angle that you can access. In my case one side was loose and we were able to pull it around such that we could get a driver on it and then unscrew it. We tried sawing through the other screw to no avail, it's a very solid screw. So after much tugging and pulling on it (to basically partially pull the screw out of the ceiling) (this is all a 2 person job) we were able to get a driver on it, but it was quite difficult.
After all of that effort all we had to do was pull the dryer out and over the front bracket (up and over in a very tight space - 2 strong people, 1 underneath, 1 holding it from the side). Make sure to have a rug on your tile floor for when you set it down as you will be tired......

Picture 8: Back wall of dryer closet.

Picture 9: Back wall of dryer closet close up.

If you note closely in this close up picture you will note a crudely drawn black "circle" that approximates the location of the dryer vent exit. You will see the water lines (and to a lesser degree the washer drain hose) in the way of the outlet. This is little doubt why my dryer vent was not attached. I am not sure if these lines are the same in every coach or just mine.

Picture 10: Showing how water lines were moved

So we moved the lines down and to the left as shown in this picture
Note that we put in a solid metal exhaust pipe in place of the flexible soft pipe put in originally feeling that this would be a more robust solution.

Picture 12: Side access panel view after dryer was mostly back in showing the revised fit as well as the bracket you have to slide the dryer into.

To finish our reinstall here is what we did.

First we got a piece of wood about 1 foot long that fit snugly (but removable) in the space above the dryer. We put it in, running front to back along the coach, so it reached maybe 1/2 way back along the dryer.
Next we mounted a backing piece (like came on the original wood trim but not glued to that trim). We screwed through that to hold the piece we had just installed above the dryer. Finally we plan to attach a wood trim piece that we expect to get from Entegra CS that matches the original so it should all look like it originally did but can be removed if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	150822   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	150823  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	150824   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	150825  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	150826   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	150827  

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	150828   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	150829  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	150830  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Doesn't the dealer connect those?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:12 AM   #3

Presumably they are connected when the dryer is first installed.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you reach the hot/cold water shut off valves once the dryer is back in place?

It seems every manufacturer, even those who seem to build nice coaches, have at least something where you get the impression no logical thought was given to design (in terms of service access, etc.). Mine is how/where they placed the inverter.

I had my Aqua Hot serviced recently and the tech was telling me of some coaches where you had to disconnect, disassemble, remove items blocking access to the unit just for annual service.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
WOW! what a job. That is one I would have left for warranty service. Lucky for me, there are a lot of mobile ones in my area.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #6

Van

Well, that is a job that I hope that I never need to tackle, but cant thank you enough for the pictorial essay on how to do this task.... That is fantastic and this thread now goes into my "Just In Case I Ever Need to Do That Process" file for future reference.

Lots of work for a small problem, but that washer and dryer really get a work out in our coach...... hate laundromats!!!!!!!!!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Picture number 8

Is that an AAV (air admittance vent) in the corner? I was told by the service tech that there wasn't one there. I believe that is the source of the smell everyone complains about. Now after seeing how complicated it would be to get to it I can understand why he didn't want to tackle the job. Very poor design by Entegra. Any parts that are possible to need replacing should be put out of reach. I could have easily been put on the access panel side IMHO.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

Yeah, that's a hot mess. Glad I didn't have to tackle that. Thanks for the excellent step by step and pictorial, I'll be saving it.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Picture number 8

Is that an AAV (air admittance vent) in the corner? I was told by the service tech that there wasn't one there. I believe that is the source of the smell everyone complains about. Now after seeing how complicated it would be to get to it I can understand why he didn't want to tackle the job. Very poor design by Entegra. Any parts that are possible to need replacing should be put out of reach. I could have easily been put on the access panel side IMHO.
don't think its a aav the odor comes from where the drain hose goes in that pipe just putty around it, if you get odor there is 2 under the rest room sinks takes a whole 5 minutes to change them if u are getting odor they are 3 bucks at home depot or there are higher priced ones too. If it is that would be a piece of cake as high as it stands. Especially if that's the closet next to it the closet walls are 1/4 inch you can cut a hole the size of your hand with a razor knife. And cover it for the next guy to get at I would do it now if that's the case.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #10

Note: I did have a RV tech working with me (really me working with him). But I had done the work ahead of time to get most of the top obstacles out of the way. But from the getting that piece of wood out of the top through the rest of the process its a 2 man job.

SMIranger - yes, you can still reach the cut off valves

DoggleDaddy - the RV tech working with me said that was a "vent" from the grey tank, so I had the same question you had. its on the far side, away from the access port from the closet so you couldn't reach it unless you had really long skinny arms.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #11

Vslayer add a aav valve on there while it out I would get a good one too. Better while its out. just pvc a male to that pipe with male threaded I think a screw on 1.5 inch better measure I forgot the exact size. put Teflon tape on the aav valve. your good then. Prolly should have a aav there any way. the grey tank vent other places too. So not much to worry bout but you wont get odor. with that and putty on the discharge hose drain pipe, That's done then fo sheezyy
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Wonder why Entegra didn't route the AAV out the back wall and vent inside the engine cap like the lint vent?
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Venting explosive vapors into the engine bay? Better not eat any beans!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
Note: I did have a RV tech working with me (really me working with him). But I had done the work ahead of time to get most of the top obstacles out of the way. But from the getting that piece of wood out of the top through the rest of the process its a 2 man job.

SMIranger - yes, you can still reach the cut off valves

DoggleDaddy - the RV tech working with me said that was a "vent" from the grey tank, so I had the same question you had. its on the far side, away from the access port from the closet so you couldn't reach it unless you had really long skinny arms.
Could a person do part of the dryer removal process and slide the dryer to the left without removing it? And would that possibly give you enough room to reach that vent to replace it with a Studor vent? Where I have replaced them elsewhere in the coach the old vent and the Studor vent screwed right on the current threading with no issue. You'd only need get your hand around it.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote