Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #15

Dont understand why people would stay when there was a 5 day warning. I lived in Pasadena 10 yrs if hevy rains were in the forcast i got my famly out of harms way. Didnt wate for the goverment to tell me to leave. It's a sad thing that people in nursing homes had to be evaluate after they were flooded.
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #16

We live just west of Houston in Katy, TX, which has been hit hard by Harvey. We store our RV on I-10 not far from Camping World, for those familiar with the area. On Saturday morning, a tornado hit the storage facility damaging the office and spreading debris over the entrance. I've tried to attach some photos of the damage. Fortunately, the building where our Anthem is stored was spared, and we suffered no damage.

As if that weren't enough drama, on Sunday I received a text from the property owner telling all tenants that "the facility is under several feet of water." We weren't able to get there immediately to check due to area wide flooding, but eventually we learned that our building was not flooded. So we are feeling fortunate that we had no storm related damage to the RV, and we are equally fortunate that our home was not flooded. Our concern now is how soon the entrance can be cleared. As it is now, we are trapped at the storage facility.
Tim McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
Dont understand why people would stay when there was a 5 day warning.
I think I know why. I live in a hurricane area, and I can tell you that for every storm that hits where it is forecast to be in 5 days, there are ten or twenty that miss the forecast, either going somewhere else or being much weaker than forecast. Anybody who leaves every time there is a 5 day warning will do a lot of responding to "false alarms".

On the other hand, if you wait until a day or two before the storm to leave, it is often too late. Roads are clogged, gas not available, etc. The Houston authorities have been criticised for not evacuating everybody, but do you understand what it takes to evacuate millions of people? The roads cannot handle it and there are massive traffic jams. The authorities stated wisely that people are safer to stay in their homes than be stuck in traffic in their cars when the floods hit.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
Dont understand why people would stay when there was a 5 day warning. I lived in Pasadena 10 yrs if hevy rains were in the forcast i got my famly out of harms way. Didnt wate for the goverment to tell me to leave. It's a sad thing that people in nursing homes had to be evaluate after they were flooded.
Living in a Hurricane zone with too much experience in these situations....the Mayor of Houston told people not to evacuate. Not enough roads to handle millions at a time. More people would have drowned on gridlocked roads. The problem with a hurricane is you do not know where it is going to hit until maybe a day before. When Charlie hit my house, it turned and we had a 45 minute warning, no time to evacuate. My DW parents were from Pasadena, I know the area well, it is low and prone to flooding.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #19

Here in Athens TN, the wife and I have friends in Houston and have watched and prayed for those in the area. We're feeling the winds and have had a good bit of rain but thankful it's not been worse here. Lived there in '82-83 in a 31' Argosy before fleeing a hurricane (Ivan ?) for Mississippi. Must be lots of salvage stories coming out of there in the future. Hope you and the others recover from these disasters.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to go to help as I have friends in Spring and Friendswood that I haven't been able to contact....

but I know going there without a plan or group with a plan will be more issues than not...

prayers though go daily !
Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #21

Royals 1212: I don't think Magnolia got hurt too badly. I'm certain there is some localized flooding in low lying areas, but we haven't seen much going on up there on a massed scale.

If you take a look at a good map, find Lake Conroe and connect it to the San Jacinto River. Next, go at least 1/2 mile and frequently 1 mile outside of it's normal banks, on either side. That is a basic idea of what areas are affected.

Where the San Jack crosses 59/69, it is way outside the normal banks.

Inside 610 continues to be a horror show. I believe the Omni hotel has 20' of water inside the lower levels.

The Addicks Reservoir releases are causing a lot of flooding, and will continue to do so for the next 10-15 days. We have a friend who had 3" from Harvey, but the Addicks releases put 4' in their home, and is expected to keep it inundated for up to 2 weeks.

I haven't worked since before Harvey, so I don't have the aerial perspective. My viewpoint is quite narrow and based upon my personal observations or those of people who can be trusted.

The amount of debris and scrapped cars from this are going to stagger the mind and tax the landfills. In the neighborhood I was in yesterday, there were at least 2-300 cars in the water. Only a few will ever run again.

I'm off to Kingwood again today.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

It's a shame! All the destruction and personal losses that people will experience through these flood waters. Most people don't plan on this type of distruction and they haven't documented their belongings so even if they do have insurance, they'll still lose some money.

The used car market will be filled with hustlers trying to sell cars and RVs that have been flooded but cleaned up.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane