Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Hydraulic Drip

I have a hydraulic drip from the "T" connector shown in the image. I am not sure if this can be tightened or a sealer put on the threads. Anyone have any experience in this area and how to tackle getting this fixed. Looks like the whole back tank area would need to be drained, take all the connections loose, check the fittings, put a sealer on the threads (carefully) and put everything back together, and refill. Not sure if this is something better left to the shop, and could NIRVC in the Dallas area work on this, or is it going to take a Spartan shop?

In addition, the oil fill tube to the engine appears to be leaking - looks like a hose and clamp issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_100135_resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	215688 This is where is dripping, from the "T".

Name:	20180819_090801_resized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	215689 Hose and Clamp may also need attention. (the white rag was attached because I thought the leak was from the hose and clamp)

Name:	20180819_090804_resized.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	215690 Image of the oil fill tube where it attaches to the engine
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had a similar problem on my 2013 Aspire. The tank itself had a bad weld and needed to be replaced. Hope it's not that. Likely to be a messy job in any case. I had a local diesel shop swap out my tank and they did a proper job. Good luck!
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I did take an image of the bottom of my tank, and there was evidence of a leak there - it could have started there, and run down to the "T" connection. I wish I would have cleaned it, then drive some and cycle the jacks, and see if it is from the bottom on the tank - would make more sense.

Name:	20180819_100152_resized.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	215701
Old 08-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, that reservoir is for the engine hydraulics. The jack reservoir is forward of the battery compartment behind a sheet of ABS plastic.

I would de-grease and pressure wash everything, then trace the leak down.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW I found the pictures I sent to Spartan back in 2014;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JeY2TFH1wLhcv9D6

In the top photo if you look close you can see a drop of oil coming from what appears to be a crack or rust spot in the weld. As I recall, while it was very slow, it leaked all the time not just when the engine was running.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

Mark, is there any hydraulic fluid on the top of the reservoir?

I ask because we had an issue a year ago with the cooling fan for the hydraulic system. The fan itself fell off the shaft from the motor and as a result the hydraulic system was getting very hot and expelling hydraulic fluid from the fill cap.

If this isnt the case, try to tighten the line and hose clamp 1/4 turn at a time and test drive.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for the images Rob - my tank is not that clean..lol, but shows evidence of a possible leak from the tank, on the bottom.

Matt, there is not any fluid on top of the tank, I believe the leak is either in the bottom of the tank, or one of the fittings has lost it's seal, or the hose clamps you referred to. The fluid is dripping slowly, and the tank has some fluid traces on the side toward the engine, probably from the wind blowing when driving.

I received a PM on here last evening, (many thanks Brett) and plan to set up a service visit at NIRVC in Lewisville (DFW area) sometime tomorrow to take the coach in. I hate to clean it up before I take it in so they can diagnose. Once I talk to them tomorrow, I may try some of these tips. I will post the final outcome here.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #8

Brett and his gang will fix you up.

They have some great people working there.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Dropped off the MH yesterday at NIRVC in Lewisville, and sure enough, the tank is leaking from one of the welds on the bottom of the tank, like Rob's. Going to have them replace the tank, and see if Spartan will help cover the tank (labor more than the tank), but understood.

The other issue on the Oil fill tube leaking was easy as they were able to remove, cut off a little, and attach and re-position.

Very thankful, and impressed that NIRVC could get me in so soon. Thanks to Sean for keeping me in the loop.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

Hydraulic Drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Dropped off the MH yesterday at NIRVC in Lewisville, and sure enough, the tank is leaking from one of the welds on the bottom of the tank, like Rob's. Going to have them replace the tank, and see if Spartan will help cover the tank (labor more than the tank), but understood.

The other issue on the Oil fill tube leaking was easy as they were able to remove, cut off a little, and attach and re-position.

Very thankful, and impressed that NIRVC could get me in so soon. Thanks to Sean for keeping me in the loop.

Mark, I believe I have the same issue. Was the weak weld attaching one of the nipple fittings to the bottom of the tank?
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallencollin View Post
Mark, I believe I have the same issue. Was the weak weld attaching one of the nipple fittings to the bottom of the tank?
Peter, I believe it was. I have not seen the tank since they diagnosed the leak, but will see if I can get the detail from Sean, he did tell me it was leaking from a weld spot on the bottom of the tank, and sounds like it is the same area as yours, and Robs.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Peter, I believe it was. I have not seen the tank since they diagnosed the leak, but will see if I can get the detail from Sean, he did tell me it was leaking from a weld spot on the bottom of the tank, and sounds like it is the same area as yours, and Robs.
Sounds like the same thing, mine was a leaky weld on the larger fitting on the tank bottom.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A lot of weight hanging off the bottom of that reservoir. Spartan has redesigned that area so the hydraulic filter is hanging off a cross member below the tank. All that weigh and vibration can cause metal fatigue and weld failure. You might want to ask if they can reconfigure that area to the new hydraulic layout. I have spoken to other owners who have the hydraulic filter hanging off the bottom of the hydraulic tank with the same issue.

If you made a complain to Spartan while under warranty and it is documented Spartan might do the repair under “goodwill”.

I have an issue currently and Spartan engineering has not found a solution. However, I was told even if I am out of warrenty Spartan Warranty will cover it.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Have not thought about that Ray, good point. I can see where the weight from all the connectors and hoses supported by the bottom tank connection.

Tags
hydraulic