Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hydraulic filter change - has anyone tried this technique?

On a different thread (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/wabc...nt-437845.html) there was some discussion regarding removal/replacement of the spin on hydraulic filter that suggests it's a messy job.

Rather than hijack that thread, I'll pose my question here.

Since I'm looking forward to my first attempt to remove/replace mine later this week, I thought I'd ask if anyone has successfully used a technique that, if I recall correctly, was suggested at the Spartan Academy. That is, to use a rubber plug/stopper to seal the dipstick hole in the reservoir before removing the spin on filter? As I understand the concept, by sealing the reservoir, only a minimal amount of the AW 46 fluid will dribble out before replacing the filter.

Amazon will deliver an assortment of rubber stoppers tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be one that fits the hole. My plan is to plug the reservoir hole, fill the replacement filter with fresh AW 46 and have it ready to spin on as soon as I remove the old filter. Hopefully, I'll be able to avoid a hydraulic shower during that process.

What's your guess? Will it work? Or, should I bring an umbrella?

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Interesting, IMO it should at least slow the flow enough to change the filter without losing much oil if you have everything ready and work quickly. I have read of another technique that involves using an old sweeper to pull a partial vacuum on the (in that instance crankcase) while installing a fumoto valve. I doubt that would work in your instance, but thought I'd mention the old post.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
On a different thread (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/wabc...nt-437845.html) there was some discussion regarding removal/replacement of the spin on hydraulic filter that suggests it's a messy job.

Since I'm looking forward to my first attempt to remove/replace mine later this week, I thought I'd ask if anyone has successfully used a technique that, if I recall correctly, was suggested at the Spartan Academy. That is, to use a rubber plug/stopper to seal the dipstick hole in the reservoir before removing the spin on filter? As I understand the concept, by sealing the reservoir, only a minimal amount of the AW 46 fluid will dribble out before replacing the filter.

Amazon will deliver an assortment of rubber stoppers tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be one that fits the hole. My plan is to plug the reservoir hole, fill the replacement filter with fresh AW 46 and have it ready to spin on as soon as I remove the old filter. Hopefully, I'll be able to avoid a hydraulic shower during that process.

Take care,
Stu
I think that I'd test the theory first by plugging the reservoir first then punching a hole in the old filter so you can control the flood if there is one.... you'll know soon enough if it's gonna work. Let us know!
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
...test the theory first by...punching a hole in the old filter...
Thanks, John.

Good idea!

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:

Take care,
Stu
Stu, I saw that posted on here sometime ago and best I recall it worked fairly well.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, John.

Good idea!

Take care,
Stu
Oh oh! Now you've got me thinking about this and I think the idea of draining the filter probably won't tell you much....the filter on my coach is BEFORE the reservoir so draining mine would not necessarily drain the reservoir as the filter will restrict /prevent back flow in the system....you may still get a bath so be prepared!

Also, I see that my reservoir dip stick cap is already a plug as it tightens and expands to seal the reservoir...if it didn't, you would have fluid squirting out the top when operating... maybe yours is different then mine?
Good luck!
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Also, I see that my reservoir dip stick cap is already a plug as it tightens and expands to seal the reservoir...if it didn't, you would have fluid squirting out the top when operating... maybe yours is different then mine?
Good luck!
Nope. Reservoir is not under pressure.

I'm surprised entegra didn't mount your spin on filter higher than the reservoir.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
....the filter on my coach is BEFORE the reservoir...I see that my reservoir dip stick cap is already a plug as it tightens and expands to seal the reservoir...maybe yours is different then mine?
I'm not sure, but, I think that Spartan has moved the location of the filter. On my '18, the filter is well below the reservoir, about even with the receiver hitch. So, in that regard mine may be different from yours. However, as I think about it, I think you're right about the dip stick cap. Rubber plug which expands when tightened to seal the opening. Hmmm...I'll have to look that over more closely when I get back to the coach. It's in storage about 30 miles away.

I may use a strategy that worked well when I removed the fuel filter for the AquaHot. I broke that filter loose and then held a doubled zip lock gallon bag around the filter to catch any spillage. Spun it the rest of the way by hand and just dropped the filter into the bags and sealed for disposal. Not a drop spilled.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've finished the job later this week.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

Stu, I will share a somewhat related story.

When we first bought our coach, it was not equipped with a Fumoto drain valve.

I installed one before changing the oil the first time myself.

Yes, before the oil change.

I taped my shop vacuum to the oil filler tube and turned it on.

I then went under the coach and removed the old drain plug and installed the Fumoto, without spilling a single drop.

I don’t know it the same would work on the hydraulic system, but I think based on the sheer mess involved, that is worth experimenting a little.

I think If I were to try it, I would use a long section of clear tubing to join the vacuum to the reservoir dipstick opening. This way, you could see visually if you began to draw the hydraulic fluid up into the vacuum, which would be bad.

I hope this inspires a solution.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

Hi Matt,

Lots more head space in the crankcase than the hydraulic reservoir. Your clear tube suggestion should give enough warning if it starts sucking out fluid.

I'm thinking that if I plug the reservoir opening and then crack the spin on filter loose so its seal is broken, I should be able to guage fluid seep from the reservoir. IF there's too much flow, I should be able to just re-tighten the filter and regroup. Probably try your shop vac remedy at that point. If that doesn't work...well...I guess it's drip pan and rags time.

Whatever happens, I'll be happy to share the outcome.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

This is what I used to pull hydraulic oil out of reservoir ----less mess
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:

I then went under the coach and removed the old drain plug and installed the Fumoto, without spilling a single drop.

I don’t know it the same would work on the hydraulic system, but I think based on the sheer mess involved, that is worth experimenting a little.

I think If I were to try it, I would use a long section of clear tubing to join the vacuum to the reservoir dipstick opening. This way, you could see visually if you began to draw the hydraulic fluid up into the vacuum, which would be bad.

-Matt
Your method is the one I remembered and put in my reply. Thanks for joining the discussion about the hyd filter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

-Matt
Matt, it works on the big Cummins, but don't try in on the generator. I did on the 19 to change the drain valve, what a mess it made of the shop vac, it filled it full of oil. But I did not loose a drop changing the drain plug. A BIG X2 on the clear tubing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
We used a rubber surgical glove and a rubber band...worked just fine.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic