Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

I happened to check my coach today at the storage garage I keep it at and noticed an oil leak coming from the hydraulic oil cylinder by the engine. It's clearly coming from there, drip by drip from the bottom where the large pipe comes in. Obviously I need to get this fixed, but is it worth trying to tighten it myself before incurring a large bill at the mechanic's? It doesn't take a lot of oil to make it look like a big leak, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for any advice.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Stuart, it's ok to try to tighten it, just do not get too superman with it. There is an I ring under it and it needs to be tight but not to the point it breaks.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks Ann and Gene for the response - sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was just at the coach and it's still leaking and has apparently leaked enough to bring the hydraulic fluid/oil level down to just short of zero! I bought some AW 46 hydraulic fluid and will fill it before driving to a Spartan certified shop about 60 miles from here. When I tried to tighten it, no joy... I'm thinking there's a hairline crack somewhere on the tank just about the pipe attachment...

For a coach this new (less than two years) I would not expect something like this to happen, but "excrement occurs" Fluid is not gushing out, but there is a slow and steady drip occurring.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
It might be worth mentioning...while it won't make you feel any better, but the chassis might have been built as much as six months prior to the build of your coach. That plus the 2-3 months for a coach build, paint, and delivery could make that chassis almost three years old, depending on when you bought you 2012. Your right, stuff happens...main thing is you caught the leak and got it fixed before a failure on the road.

For what it is worth, on the chassis/engine side, I've had a front and a lower engine seal oil leak, tag leaks on both tag wheels, and a rear axle seal leak. I'm out of the Entegra factory for 9 months, but my chassis might be early 2012. Don't like it, but at least it is warrantee work.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
Thanks Ann and Gene for the response - sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was just at the coach and it's still leaking and has apparently leaked enough to bring the hydraulic fluid/oil level down to just short of zero! I bought some AW 46 hydraulic fluid and will fill it before driving to a Spartan certified shop about 60 miles from here. When I tried to tighten it, no joy... I'm thinking there's a hairline crack somewhere on the tank just about the pipe attachment...

For a coach this new (less than two years) I would not expect something like this to happen, but "excrement occurs" Fluid is not gushing out, but there is a slow and steady drip occurring.
What ever happened to the hydraulic leak? I have a 2014 Aspire and mine is leaking in the same area. I am going to try tightening first. Mine is not leaking as fast so hopefully no crack. This is for the leveling system, correct?
FrankJ1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ1962 View Post
What ever happened to the hydraulic leak? I have a 2014 Aspire and mine is leaking in the same area. I am going to try tightening first. Mine is not leaking as fast so hopefully no crack. This is for the leveling system, correct?
Frank, no the hydraulic system he's talking about is for the hydraulic fan and power steering and takes AW46 oil. The hydraulic leveling takes dexron auto transmission fluid and is located on the drivers side first door, at least on the 2013 & 14. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Noel...thanks for the insight! It does take AW46 because the reservoir was down about a quart and now I know it's more important to get that sealed since it is more than just leveling. I am going to try to tighten it next time I go to the rig. Frank J.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

It may just need to be removed re pipe doped and reinstalled If its leaking from the tee. Like mine was messy job because the fill tank has to be removed.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tried to tighten it myself and you need a big wrench, which I have, but you have to take some brackets off to even get leverage. Since the coach has only 500 miles on it I decided to take it to the Spartan service center. Good thing that I did because they took it apart and found the O-ring was missing! No wonder it was leaking. Spartan is shipping the whole assembly and it should be back together today.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Nice glad you got it stopped
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Frank, thanks for that update. I am sure it will help someone else in the future.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote