Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess we need a forum for tips and maintenance

Something other than reviewing accessories and options when ordering.

Here's a tip for those Entegras down South that utilize DEF.
If you haven't already experienced tank mis-readings ....you probably will. DEF will crystalize when temps are in the 90's and the fluid isn't being used, as in being stored or used infrequently.
I have been advised to filled the tank, drive it, and maybe the float will free itself. If not, it's into the dealer. I now carry a 1/4" wood dowel rod to check my tank.
Hats off to the engineers, and especially EPA for this dumb program.
Next tip
If your slide won't move in/out, first likely culprit is the slide controller. Go to the outside electronic compartment under the driver seat. Locate the applicable marked slide controller, remove the 2 plugs and use the closest plugs from another controller and plug them into the problem slide. If it works you have a bad controller and will have to replace it and use the swapping arrangement to move your slides.
If the slide doesn't move after the plug swap you probably have a bad motor and the same type of corrective action is needed...swap motors instead of plugs.

You can guess how I learned all this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The DEF issue is a new one to me. My last coach didn't have it. Typically how many gallons does the tank hold and how many miles can be driven before you have to top it off? I've heard that most truck lanes have DEF pumps but they are located on the DS of the island. Is the hose long enough to stretch under the rear of the coach to the DEF tank on the PS rear?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd
The DEF issue is a new one to me. My last coach didn't have it. Typically how many gallons does the tank hold and how many miles can be driven before you have to top it off? I've heard that most truck lanes have DEF pumps but they are located on the DS of the island. Is the hose long enough to stretch under the rear of the coach to the DEF tank on the PS rear?
Nope! I use a 5 gallon gas can and then fill the DEF tank from it later.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

The Entegra DEF tank is 10 gallons and you will likely use between 1% and 2% of the fuel that you use. Manufacture claims 2% but in our first 12 thousand miles it has been considerable less than that, down close to 1%, not sure why the difference or if it will change. I have not had problems with it yet and have been in over 100 degree temps for several weeks. All just my experience.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Nope! I use a 5 gallon gas can and then fill the DEF tank from it later.
Not to beat this to death but you are saying the DEF hose isn't long enough to stretch under and behind the rear of the coach to reach the DEF tank located behind the tag? I can understand it not reaching from the front of the coach when fueling but how about if you pull forward a little first? My assumption here is that you are fueling in the truck lanes. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Not to beat this to death but you are saying the DEF hose isn't long enough to stretch under and behind the rear of the coach to reach the DEF tank located behind the tag? I can understand it not reaching from the front of the coach when fueling but how about if you pull forward a little first? My assumption here is that you are fueling in the truck lanes. Thanks for the info.
our experiences are that the hoses will not extend anywhere near enough to reach the DEF tanks on the PS. We, too, have to use a 5 gallon can to fill the DEF tank. also, we have noticed a white film that forms on the 5 gallon can caused by DEF drying on the 5 gallon can and funnel we use to fill the DEF tank... I see how it may be possible for this white film to form on the inside of the tank if left unfilled during long storage. fortunately, we haven't experienced a problem with our gauge at this time.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We buy DEF at Walmart 2 1/2 gal. at a time. The container is sealed until used and it comes with a long hose to aid in pouring. In most cases it is also cheaper per gallon than truckstops. The 2 1/2 gal. will last us about 1000 miles.
Gary
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

we've been buying DEF at the pump for $2.79 to 2.99 a gallon.. about 1/2 the cost verus the 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart and the truck stops.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the great info on DEF. I should have it all figured out by the time our coach comes in next January.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While at the Entegra dinner in Louisville Tadd mentioned he hopes to have tips & maintenance videos on their website...no timeline was mentioned but I am sure when they get it done we will all be hearing about it...I think that is a great idea that we will all appreciate....
texaspenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Something other than reviewing accessories and options when ordering.
As we all know, iRV2 isn't going to give us our own Entegra forum and we must post things here in Jayco. So might I suggest, we continue using this location for everything Entegra. Perhaps the person originating the post can make the subject a bit more descriptive and ALWAYS use the word "Entegra" in the subject.

For instance, this thread could have been posted as "Entegra - DEF tip".
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
As we all know, iRV2 isn't going to give us our own Entegra forum and we must post things here in Jayco. So might I suggest, we continue using this location for everything Entegra. Perhaps the person originating the post can make the subject a bit more descriptive and ALWAYS use the word "Entegra" in the subject.

For instance, this thread could have been posted as "Entegra - DEF tip".
Tom,

That kinda makes sense! I don't like it
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
Tom,

That kinda makes sense! I don't like it
..and why do you not like it?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #14

I don't like it because it makes sense...(sarcasm)

Tags
forum, maintenance