Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
If you're scheduled for PDI, good time to update the AGS to 4.0

If your scheduled for a PDI, Cummns/Onan is 12 miles from Entegra. If your command 30 AGS does not have the 4.0 update, they will do it on site in less than 10 minute.

Highly advised to have this update done...it does two things that are needed.

I had my batteries fail on the way to Entegra. The voltage dropped so fast the AGS would not start the generator to charge the batteries. The new update senses rapid voltage drop and will start the generator before it's to late. The update also allows the generator to make a couple of attempts to start the generator instead of the current one try. Very helpfully in colder weather, or a generator that has not been run in awhile.

It was posted here a month or so ago about the update and how to check which software version you have. It is 2 screws and a plug to remove the command 30 and take it to Onan while Entegra has your MH in the shop. I wish I had the update before my batteries failed. The CO detector will go off in the middle of the night because of low voltage.

To remove the Command 30....fingernail to remove the magnetic cover, 2 phillips screws then unplug the unit. My software was 2.4

Contact info:
Grover Simpson
Cummins Power Generation
5125 Beck Dr
Elkhart IN 46516
574-262-8000

Thanks to the person that made the original post.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Actually, contact Grover Simpson at the Elkhart Cummins-Onan shop. This is the only place they do the update (according to him). You can undo two screws, and rotate the clips on the plug in the back of the Command 30 module,put it in a mailer to Grover, and he'll do the update. I mailed Priority, and I had mine back on Wed the next week.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good point Dave, the command 30 can also be mailed. This Onan center is the main one in the county for RV generators as they supply all the all of RV manufacture in the area.

I learned the hard way, the update is a good one to have. Also something to do while waiting around all day during the PDI.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the good info - I'll get around to it. I do not use my AGS very much. Too bad there wasn't a way to upgrade it with a USB and file from the interwebs.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Thanks for the good info - I'll get around to it. I do not use my AGS very much. Too bad there wasn't a way to upgrade it with a USB and file from the interwebs.
I never used mine much either....until I needed it. This was actually only the second time I needed the AGS and it failed because of not having the update. We rarely Walmart, but had to over the 4th weekend heading to Entegra as all the RV parks were full over the holiday weekend.

Good thing we did as I discovered my batteries were bad.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, been there and had some issues with generator non-start...primarily when the temps are cool in a dry camping environment. I felt like the Command 30 was not allowing the generator sufficient time to fire the generator (when tips are cool) as it takes more amperage and deep charge to start the generator. When i discussed this issue with Mr. Simpson, that is when he indicated I needed the updated software on the module. he suggested that the situation was not a first for him, bit pretty common.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Chuck

Tell us more about your battery failures. What batteries (house, engine start), and why. You coach is a '14 I believe and am a bit amazed that your batteries (whichever one you are talking about) would short across plates/cells or whatever catastrophy happened quickly. What gives?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Chuck

Tell us more about your battery failures. What batteries (house, engine start), and why. You coach is a '14 I believe and am a bit amazed that your batteries (whichever one you are talking about) would short across plates/cells or whatever catastrophy happened quickly. What gives?

Gary
It was my house batteries and this is just my educated opinion. My coach sat in the ready lot at 30 below waiting for the weather and roads to clear for delivery for three weeks not plugged in. My coach was returned to Entegra/Spartan/Precision Paint from Feb until May. I doubt it was always plugged in during that period of time. My guess is the severe weather and sitting did a number on the batteries.

I had charging problems last summer and CS said my inverter/chargers were not set correctly so we reset them over the phone. Just my opinion, but I think the damage was already done. On the way up here, my batteries would only last 1.5 hours and the AGS would not even attempt to start the generator.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Correct phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If your scheduled for a PDI, Cummns/Onan is 12 miles from Entegra. If your command 30 AGS does not have the 4.0 update, they will do it on site in less than 10 minute.

Highly advised to have this update done...it does two things that are needed.

I had my batteries fail on the way to Entegra. The voltage dropped so fast the AGS would not start the generator to charge the batteries. The new update senses rapid voltage drop and will start the generator before it's to late. The update also allows the generator to make a couple of attempts to start the generator instead of the current one try. Very helpfully in colder weather, or a generator that has not been run in awhile.

It was posted here a month or so ago about the update and how to check which software version you have. It is 2 screws and a plug to remove the command 30 and take it to Onan while Entegra has your MH in the shop. I wish I had the update before my batteries failed. The CO detector will go off in the middle of the night because of low voltage.

To remove the Command 30....fingernail to remove the magnetic cover, 2 phillips screws then unplug the unit. My software was 2.4

Contact info:
Grover Simpson
Cummins Power Generation
5125 Beck Dr
Elkhart IN 46516
574-262-8000

Thanks to the person that made the original post.

The phone number posted for Grover is actually for a guy named Jeff Moore at a private residence.....I called repeatedly so he finally picked up in the middle of the message I was leaving and demanded to know "Who is Grover Simpson and what did he do???"

Soooooo.....to make a long story short Grover's number is actually

(574)262-4611
Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Can someone provide GROVER's email address?

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have Grover's card in my hand and his direct # is 574-262-4611 ext 106
email: Grover.C.Simpson@cummins.com

The previous information was from a generic Cummins card in the wasting room, sorry if it was incorrect.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #12

Question

While on the subject of AGS. There was a post a while back on upgrading the system to start when shore power is lost. Anyone have any info on that? Or a link to that post? Thx, GrAndy
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #13

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ags-...ed-253965.html

That should get you started and in the general time frame of the other posts.
The problem is the AGS module is missing the wires to it that sense shore power so you have to provide that. The simplest workaround is described. The left breaker panel above the driver's head is powered by shore power so you want to add an extra breaker to the left end where there is a blank slot. Run the romex from that breaker around the front cap to the backside of the panel above the entry door. Terminate with a receptacle and plug in a 12V DC transformer of some sort to provide + and - DC signal to the AGS module. Details are described in the post referenced and/or several others if you search for AGS Shore power.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #14

I am just completing my first week of being at Camp Entegra after returning to the mothership for my early 2 year PDI. I followed the advice of those who came before me and had the AGS removed and took the scenic drive to Elkhart to meet Grover and have my AGS software updated to at least 4.0. Nice fellow and as others have said, in about 10 minutes, I was on my way out the door with the reprogrammed AGS. However as I was thanking him, he also said "Make sure that you remove resistor number 37 for the new program to work". That stopped me as I had not read that before, and apparently, you also have to take the back off the unit and ensure that resistor 37 is not soldered into place. It is clearly marked on the board, but it is a very small, resistor soldered directly onto the board.

Now, here is my understanding. When I gave it to Entegra to reinstall and remove the resistor, they told me on my board, resistor 37 was either already gone or never installed. When we talked about this, the collective wisdom is that early versions of the AGS-30 had an actual resistor installed on the board that had to be removed. Later versions of the board never had it installed at the factory. So....... a logical deduction is that units installed roughly after my unit ("2015" coach built in late 2014) should have the resistor removed (never installed), and older coaches (but I have no idea when the change was made at the factory) might still need to have it removed. I would think that an owner with a pre-15 might simply need to remove the circuit board cover and see if R37 is installed or removed before reinstalling.

Another minor clarification. People mention a magnetic cover that is removed first. I interpreted it to be the black plastic front display and cover of the AGS-30. I was wrong. The cover is simply the surface that the words and labels is printed on.... you just remove that with a fingernail, and once gone, it reveals, 2 screws which you unscrew to remove the whole unit. Wiring on the back will disconnect and hang out of the panel while you work on the unit.

Just an additional bit of information that would appear to be important or some people.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led