Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Impressive Letter from Newmar President Matt Miller

Today (1/23/2020), I received an e-mail from Newmar Corporation, inviting me to download a magazine they publish (I think once a year) called “The Difference.” I did the download, but haven’t had a chance to read the entire magazine as yet. What I did read was the “President’s Letter” from Matt Miller on the opening page. An image of his letter is provided below, but here are the lines that got my attention:

“…we can’t ever rest on our laurels or stop improving. We must continue to change and grow so that you, our customers, are receiving not only the best products, but also the best experience. And to that end, we have begun working to redefine what the Newmar customer experience looks like.

We’re talking and thinking about how to make every aspect of the ownership experience the best it can possibly be—from your very first contact with us to the day you choose your coach to the day you take delivery, and every service appointment, phone call, or touchpoint you have with us after that.

It’s my hope that one day, Newmar will be among the brands people talk about when they’re talking about an unmatched customer experience.”

To be clear, I’ve never owned a Newmar motorhome. I also realize words are cheap, while actions are more expensive (and more difficult). I have, however, seen some evidence that Newmar is serious about achieving what Matt described. If you’re in the area, drive to Nappanee and check out their new service center and adjacent customer campground. To say you’ll be impressed would be putting it mildly.

Before anyone gets up in arms, I don’t mean to imply that the people who run the RV companies that compete with Newmar (Entegra, Tiffin, et al) aren’t equally serious about customer satisfaction. My intent is simply to indicate I was impressed with Matt’s letter and wish Newmar all the best as they work to achieve his stated vision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Making the Best Even Better.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	273067  
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for sharing Larry. That type of statement hopefully will be contagious among other manufactures.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Let's hope so Chuck!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

I think Newmar makes a a good coach. They were our second choice when we bought last time. Sounds like he understands he has an area that needs improvement. I hope he follows through. It can only help all of us.

If I were him, The first thing I would do if I was him, would be put someone who knows the product line, and is enthusiastic about the product and company to lead the factory tours.

Our Newmar factory tour was led by a young lady who didn't know the product or the manufacturing floor. Plus she seemed less than enthused to leading us around (kind of a I got the short straw today vibe). End result our tour was 30-45 minutes total with 30 second to 1 minute stops at each station. Where she gave a couple obvious talking points, and then couldn't answer any questions. With 15 or more people in the tour group things got confusing and disruptive from there. I don't blame her! I blame her boss for putting her in that position.

The next day we go Entegra. We go on a four person tour led by one of the senior designer/engineers. We spent more time than we did at Newmar total, standing outside the building talking about the Chassis. 2-1/2+ hours later he was able to answer just about every question any of us had, and the few he could not he noted and got back to us about via email. I got the feeling he would have stay in the factory as long as we wanted to.

That was the start of us believing what people posted here on IRV2 about Entegra's customer service.

I realize that not every person who takes a tour is going to buy a coach, but I would guess that a large percentage are serious about buying a coach or they wouldn't have traveled to northern Indiana for the tours.

Since it was the first personal contact with the company it can make a lasting impression. It did for us.

Steve
Old 01-24-2020, 04:29 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice letter and much better than what Bob Tiffin is writing in the Tiffin magazine bragging about all his antique cars. However it would have been much better if accompanied by some significant action to support the words, such as a two year warranty.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

Good point about first contact and impressions. We had a senior sales person. Half in our group of 10 were buyers. Michelle made sure there was going to be follow up with those folks. You can find another dealership, but if the manufacturer rubs you the wrong way......
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Nice letter - but wonder where they are going to find another Joyce? Joyce and Entegra’s customer service have my loyalty.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Nice letter - but wonder where they are going to find another Joyce? Joyce and Entegra’s customer service have my loyalty.
Tiffin owners ask the same question about Bob and have similar loyalty to Tiffin's customer service.

Big shoes to fill in both cases, but I believe Joyce and Bob are both mindful of that and will do all they can to ensure continuity.

I'm not familiar enough with Newmar to know who their "Bob" or "Joyce" may be.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #9

What follows is a story I thought about including in my post that initiated this thread. I chose not to in the interest of brevity, but if you’ve read this far maybe you’ll find it of interest.

In late 1994, authors Jim Collins and Jerry Porras published a book called “Built to Last,” subtitled “Successful Habits of Visionary Companies.” Collins went on to write another book, “Good to Great,” subtitled “Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t.”

In “Built to Last” Collins and Porras identified a number of characteristics of visionary companies. Any of you who remember the book will almost certainly remember one of them: “Big Hairy Audacious Goals,” abbreviated “BHAGs.” The short definition of BHAGs was “think big, aim high,” but the best illustration is a story I was privileged to hear from Jim Collins himself. A transcript of the story is available on his web site; I’ll post a slightly abbreviated version here:

[Executives from] Starbucks Coffee came to my lab. They said, “Well, Jim, we’re proud to say we have a BHAG.”

“Great. What is it?”

“Two thousand stores by the year 2000.”

“Interesting. Tell me, what makes you think that you can achieve this?”

“Oh, we’re pretty much right on track, and it’s about a 100% chance we’ll get it done.”

“What do you need to do differently from what you’re doing now to make it happen?”

“Oh, nothing.”

“So, what makes you think this is a Big Hairy Audacious Goal? Why don’t you go back to Seattle, drink some double espresso, and bounce off the walls?”

So, they go off to Seattle and they bounce off the walls. They come back and they say, “We have a BHAG now.” Because, I asked them to set a goal that would truly be audacious from a twenty- to twenty-five-year perspective.

“What is it?”

“To turn the Starbucks brand into the most recognized and respected consumer brand in the world, a position that’s currently held by Coca-Cola.”

“Now, that’s a BHAG!”

So what does any of that have to do with Matt Miller’s letter?

When I read, “It’s my hope that one day, Newmar will be among the brands people talk about when they’re talking about an unmatched customer experience” my first thought was…

You know what, that sounds almost like a BHAG!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #10

After two Entegras, we bought another brand, because I just wanted somethings different. The most important difference that I am missing is Entegra Customer Service.
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
After two Entegras, we bought another brand, because I just wanted somethings different. The most important difference that I am missing is Entegra Customer Service.
Easily remedied Hank. National Indoor RV Centers (NIRVC) carries both brands (Entegra and Newmar). I'm sure they'll be happy to put you into a new Entegra and take your London Aire in trade!
Old 01-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #12

Don’t get me wrong, I love my coach, just miss Joyce and her crew. I actually talked to Joyce when my LA broke down, and she offered to help. Talk about special..
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Yup, Newmars are great but 2 years of Joyce and company is great piece of mind!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I've been part of the "Entegra Family" since the latter part of 2014. My coach has been out of warranty now for a couple of years. However, whenever I have a problem, I can call Entegra customer service and get answers. Joyce has remained a friend this whole time and will continue to be a special person in our lives. Warranty or not .... still same wonderful service. I would never consider a different brand of motorhome now. Entegra and Joyce have spoiled me!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar