Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Instrument panel DIED TODAY

It appears after 23 months and 20,000 miles that the instrument panel died today.

Coach started just fine but I have no gauges, no tachometer, and no LED readout on the dash light bar....all dark. After troubleshooting for over two hours with both Spartan and Entegra, checking fuses and actually removing the instrument panel from the dash, it appears the lightbar module must be bad.

There were no blown fuses, none, zero, zilch.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Pat, I did have the light bar cluster replaced shortly after my coach was delivered. Mine had an error code indicating the cluster needed to be replaced, but it was only a "check engine" light followed by the code. I was told by Spartan that they had some bad clusters, but no dates were given. It was only a 30 minute plug and play replacement but the mileage had to be programmed by Spartan then shipped to the repair center. Sorry yours is worse than mine was and hope it will be an easy plug and play repair.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

So all of the other instruments are tied to the light bar?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

If you talked to Sean at Spartan he is aware of a fix. I had to go into the black box on the drivers side, find the 12v wire to the dash. If that is getting 12volts you have another problem. Once you find the wire and determine it is not getting 12 to power the dash (spartan knows all about the fix) you cut it and run a new wire to the 12v battery post right next to the black box. I did that over a year ago on my 13 and that fixed the problem.

You said you talked to spartan, so I assume they pointed you in that direction. Spartan knows the wire # and the volts, you just add about 1 foot of new wire with an inline fuse and you got power.

people don't realized with out power to the dash you have no way of knowing what is going on in the rig. it is like flying instruments in the clouds without instruments on the plane.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
So all of the other instruments are tied to the light bar?
Not on mine, it was just the digital readout. I think Dusty may have Pat pointed in the right direction.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Repair completed. According to Spartan there is a known issue with the power supply circuit on the fuse panel circuit board, that powers the dash light bar, which subsequently feeds all of the power needs of the other gauges. I did trace the problem to the point where the determination was that I had a faulty power supply circuit on that printed circuit board.

The repair is to provide an alternate 12 V power supply to power the light bar which subsequently powers all of the gauges on the dash. It's important to note that Entegra Coach is apparently unaware that there is an issue with the power supply circuit supplied by Spartan Chassis to power the light bar on the dash.

Basically cut the wire, install an in-line fuse, and provide a new power supply circuit attached to the battery terminal. At this time I cannot inform you as to whether there has been an upgrade to the printed circuit fuse board that failed in my coach....a 2013 era Entegra Aspire.

According to the tech at Spartan Chassis, this splice is their recommended solution.
I do not know if in fact a change has been made to that module since the 2013 model year.

Pat Bauer

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
Old 03-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Pat

Sorry to hear about your problem with the dash and glad that it sounds like with fairly minimal "fixing" and troubleshooting, you were able to get it going again.

Please do publish a followup if you hear if the problem continues to exist for newer coaches or if Entegra has incorporated the fix into new series of coaches.

Also, since others may read your post and thread, when I took possession of my coach, the PDI tech went into great detail to not start the diesel until the "yellow diesel engine light" on the dash extinguished. I usually waited for the engine heat "wait light" to go out but would not have worried about the engine icon to extinguish, but they explained that if you don't, you are short circuiting the self diagnostics process, and that you should let it run its course, even though it is much longer than the "wait" delay. Others follow that policy also?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Pat, I will keep that one stored in my memory bank since I also have a 2013, and am approaching 20K miles.

I need to see if I am looking at the correct lights after reading Gary's post. I believe my light reads "Please Wait", with the image of an engine, and when it goes out, I start the engine.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #9

Gary,When I picked up my 2014 Anthem the check engine light came on.I returned to the dealer who called spartan but could not get it to go out.They said if it was not blinking to not worry about it. This did not seem right to me,but I started on my way.The next day I noticed the light went out so I accepted it. A few days later it happened again.This time I took it into a truck dealer who hooked up a code scanner.It came up that the when starting the computer checks all circuits this takes up to 45 seconds the yellow engine will go out after the checks. Now I wait until it goes out and have not had any more check engine lights

2014 Anthem 44dlq
cewgcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
At the Spartan School we were told to wait for the engine icon to go out and at the same time to press the brake hard to reset (?) the brakes. DW does this and I confirmed she is turning the key one click, pressing the brake and hears 6 "poofs" (Technical term). The icon then goes out and she starts the engine.

FWIW - she does the inside stuff and has me do the sewer.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #11

Do wait for the engine's diagnostic start cycle to complete itself. Spartan "School" was very specific about that. It is usually complete in the time it takes for the ABS system to do its 6 poofs.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
At the Spartan School we were told to wait for the engine icon to go out and at the same time to press the brake hard to reset (?) the brakes. DW does this and I confirmed she is turning the key one click, pressing the brake and hears 6 "poofs" (Technical term). The icon then goes out and she starts the engine.

FWIW - she does the inside stuff and has me do the sewer.
The brake reset is interesting. Is there anymore they said about this?
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the info Pat. Sorry you had to suffer thru it. I will ask about this at the Spartan course later this summer.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #14

On my 11 Anthem you HAD to wait for the engine light to go out before trying to start. If you did not, the starter would not engage and you had to turn the key to off, back on and let the light go out, it would then fire right up. Wish they still had that feature(idiot proof starting&#128522. All just my experience and JMHO 🚌🚓

Tags
panel