Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #15

Good Sams worked well for us. I pay $2,400/year on a 16 Anthem 44B, a 15 Lincoln MKS and a 13 Lincoln MKX with the highest coverages they write (it did up up about $300 from previous year). I also got a 2 million dollar umbrella from Good Sams them for $330/year. They have been the best so far and the policy is from National General with full replacement coverage. I had a hail damage claim several years ago on the 13 Aspire and 08 Honda CRV and they handled it well - only one deductible since they were attached at the time of the storm. Their prices were so good I moved from USAA and Progressive with all my insurance including our home. USAA is a great company but their prices got out of hand in my opinion.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I have both auto and homeowners through Allstate, but when I wanted coach insurance my agent came back and said Allstate's replacement coverage tops out at $250K. I'll check again - one of us is getting bad information.
Hi Victory,
I would check again because we currently have just under 400 k replacement cost on our allstate policy out of florida. (For 1 year now) I think we pay around 2,200 a year. +/-
2016 Cornerstone
Old 04-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprkbr View Post
Hi Victory,
I would check again because we currently have just under 400 k replacement cost on our allstate policy out of florida. (For 1 year now) I think we pay around 2,200 a year. +/-
2016 Cornerstone
Thanks. Could be a Tennessee thing but, on the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time an insurance agent got something wrong. I'll let you know what I find out.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
And remember, the best policies are what are call "full replacement" policies which mean that if you have a total loss of coach during the policy period, and for 5 years from new, they will replace the coach with a brand spanking new equivalent model, not a 2 or 3 year old equivalent model. Those full replacement policies are getting harder to find but they are still there.
You are paying extra for full replacement coverage. Ask them to quote prices with and without full replacement coverage so you will know what is is costing you. In my case, I decided the slim probability of needing it wasn't worth the upcharge to me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #19

Thank you all for such great advice and validating there are better options. I'll be busy shopping the next few days and will update what we're able to find. We just went full-time end of November. Curious is any of you are full-time as well and if you tell insurance company you are. Certainly learning a lot
txdebbielong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdebbielong View Post
Thank you all for such great advice and validating there are better options. I'll be busy shopping the next few days and will update what we're able to find. We just went full-time end of November. Curious is any of you are full-time as well and if you tell insurance company you are. Certainly learning a lot
I bolded this comment because it's key to the quotes you are getting.

Make sure you are looking at full-timer insurance, not just "rv insurance". Not all companies write full-timer policies in all states. Some might not write them at all. Full-timer coverage is much different than part-timer coverage so be sure you are clear with the company and in comparing quotes.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
I bolded this comment because it's key to the quotes you are getting.

Make sure you are looking at full-timer insurance, not just "rv insurance". Not all companies write full-timer policies in all states. Some might not write them at all. Full-timer coverage is much different than part-timer coverage so be sure you are clear with the company and in comparing quotes.

Michelle
Definitely get full-timer quotes. Not being upfront in the beginning is what can cause claims to not be paid. It is not worth the few dollars in savings to risk coverage.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had Allied Nationwide for our previous coach, but when we moved up to the Cornerstone, we topped their ceiling and had to shop elsewhere. The obstacle we found was not so much the price, but the ceiling limit. Full 5 year replacement is expensive twist to the search. We ended up with Progressive with the USAA member discount. Not overly happy with the cost, but the coverage and the company are great.

PS - Don't forget about Umbrella Insurance. Cheap for the additional coverage. Scary when you see TV ads, "Have you been in an accident with an RV......".
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #23

If you are full time, you need to tell them you are full time. Most companies that I have dealt with actually have a number of days the coach is in use criterion, both for where the coach is "resident" and how heavily it is used. if you are full time, you have no real residence..... you might be calling south Dakota your residence or Montana or one of the states that caters to motorcoach owners. However, your rates are going to be very different across the various states and sometimes the states often claimed by full-timers are higher than some other states. Since I am not full time, then the issue is "Do you travel in your coach more than XXX number of days a year?" and my rates are based on my assurance that I don't travel more than that number.

My policy is that I don't ever mislead my insurance company knowingly..... although I just discovered that the main reason I bought an umbrella policy last year was to cover me if I might have an accident and I just discovered at the renewal that the coach was not covered on the policy..... only my cars that they insured. I thought that I was clear to my agent that I also owned a coach, but she only put down the two cars..... so my coverage was wrong all year, and if there had been a problem, they probably could have weaseled out of the whole thing because my policy did not cover all of my vehicles (everything was not listed on the policy)(not my fault).

Every time I get insurance, I swear that I will read each and every word of the policy as that is the only way to really know that you have what you think you bought.... I was lazy and didn't do it last year (they wear you down with 50 pages of "legaleze"), and thankfully, I had no accidents, but paid money for a umbrella that would not have touched what I intended to be buying. Be careful!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You are paying extra for full replacement coverage. Ask them to quote prices with and without full replacement coverage so you will know what is is costing you. In my case, I decided the slim probability of needing it wasn't worth the upcharge to me.
Full replacement on my policy is $113, a small part of my total premium.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 04-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Full replacement on my policy is $113, a small part of my total premium.
That's a lot less than I was quoted. Who is your insurer?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Marc, Good Sam's had better prices with full replacement cost than what other were quoting without it. Progressive I think was $1,100 more and their basic policy was still higher than GS with replacement. It pays to call daily, I had 3 different prices from GS within a 10 day period.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
My insurance is with National Interstate. I'm no insurance expert but I wouldn't expect replacement coverage to be expensive since the likelihood of a complete loss is small.

The biggest part of my premium goes to comprehensive and collision, almost $2K, and more than 70% of my premium. After that the next biggest premium amount is liability at $340 for $1M CSL. I also have a liability umbrella policy through another company because I own a small business.

I priced insurance through other agencies, including a couple mentioned in this thread, and couldn't beat National Interstate's premium.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
If you are full time, you need to tell them you are full time. Most companies that I have dealt with actually have a number of days the coach is in use criterion, both for where the coach is "resident" and how heavily it is used. if you are full time, you have no real residence..... you might be calling south Dakota your residence or Montana or one of the states that caters to motorcoach owners. However, your rates are going to be very different across the various states and sometimes the states often claimed by full-timers are higher than some other states. Since I am not full time, then the issue is "Do you travel in your coach more than XXX number of days a year?" and my rates are based on my assurance that I don't travel more than that number.

My policy is that I don't ever mislead my insurance company knowingly..... although I just discovered that the main reason I bought an umbrella policy last year was to cover me if I might have an accident and I just discovered at the renewal that the coach was not covered on the policy..... only my cars that they insured. I thought that I was clear to my agent that I also owned a coach, but she only put down the two cars..... so my coverage was wrong all year, and if there had been a problem, they probably could have weaseled out of the whole thing because my policy did not cover all of my vehicles (everything was not listed on the policy)(not my fault).

Every time I get insurance, I swear that I will read each and every word of the policy as that is the only way to really know that you have what you think you bought.... I was lazy and didn't do it last year (they wear you down with 50 pages of "legaleze"), and thankfully, I had no accidents, but paid money for a umbrella that would not have touched what I intended to be buying. Be careful!!

Gary
Most agents carry E&O (Errors and Omissions) insurance. Had you needed the Umbrella the carrier would most likely have paid the claim then went against the agents E&O for recovery since she failed to add the motor home. I carry a large E&O limit policy plus a large Umbrella.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, insurance