Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #29

If the batteries are dropping from 12.6 (or so) to 12.4 during a couple hours of driving I would look at the alternator charging circuit.

First other than the microwave what else is running off the house batteries while you are driving? Is it just the frig, or do you have a other high loads drawing from the batteries as well?

I once heard of someone using a space heater while they drove, and wondered by the alternator couldn't keep the batteries charged.

Assuming you aren't doing that, I would look to see if the isolator circuit that allows the alternator to charge the house and chassis batteries without them being drained by each other.

Steve
photraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Ditto,

Your inverters may not be set up correctly to properly charge your batteries. Your reading of 12.4v without the microwave on (and I am assuming just an average load on the batteries) is only about 75% charged.

Also check your LBCO (low battery cut out) setting on your inverters it should be set around 10.5v for this exact case of a large temporary load such as the microwave.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post

However, my initial statement of the discharge curve being shorter still stands.

I'll use the T105's that you used: from Trojan's own website:
20hr discharge capacity is: 225AH, 10hr capacity is 207AH, 5hr capacity is 185AH.

If we are discharging the 8 battery bank at 160A, then each battery is discharging at 40A (160 divided by the 4 parallel groups of 2).

Thru some research, I have come to understand that it is not per 12 volt pair, but per battery.

So with 8 batteries at the 20 hour rate the 160 amps each battery is being discharged at 20 amps.

My findings make sense otherwise 4, 12 volt 120 AH batteries would be the same as 8, 6 volts, as far as the 20 hour rate.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Resolution! Thank you all for your imput! We were finally able to get in contact with Magnum today...3 days to do it. First they had the tech reset the inverters, than Ck the settings. The LBCO, as 757 driver indicated was also to high, reset to 11 volts. Like Brobox says," check the simple stuff first"
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Resolution! Thank you all for your imput! We were finally able to get in contact with Magnum today...3 days to do it. First they had the tech reset the inverters, than Ck the settings. The LBCO, as 757 driver indicated was also to high, reset to 11 volts. Like Brobox says," check the simple stuff first"
Glad it was a simple fix. Once you did the reset did the inverter settings get changed back to AGM2? Or better yet send me a PM and I can give you some improved settings for proper battery charging.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #34

I'm glad it was simple solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Thru some research, I have come to understand that it is not per 12 volt pair, but per battery.

So with 8 batteries at the 20 hour rate the 160 amps each battery is being discharged at 20 amps.

My findings make sense otherwise 4, 12 volt 120 AH batteries would be the same as 8, 6 volts, as far as the 20 hour rate.
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here, but in a 4 x 2 battery arrangement all things being equal, every battery will be discharging at 40A given a 160A load. If there are 2 batteries in series they must discharge at the same current rate and since their branch of the circuit make up 1/4 of the total that current would be 40A thru both batteries.

Two 6-volt batteries in series does not add to the AH rating. You only add to the AH rating by adding parallel branches.

Yes, 2 batteries doubled the W-Hr capacity but not the AH rating. They doubled the voltage but not the discharge current capacity

A 12V 225AH rated battery would be equal to 2 6V 225AH batteries in series.

Does that help?

Steve
photraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #35

I love a happy ending.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
I'm glad it was simple solution.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here, but in a 4 x 2 battery arrangement all things being equal, every battery will be discharging at 40A given a 160A load. If there are 2 batteries in series they must discharge at the same current rate and since their branch of the circuit make up 1/4 of the total that current would be 40A thru both batteries.

Two 6-volt batteries in series does not add to the AH rating. You only add to the AH rating by adding parallel branches.

Yes, 2 batteries doubled the W-Hr capacity but not the AH rating. They doubled the voltage but not the discharge current capacity

A 12V 225AH rated battery would be equal to 2 6V 225AH batteries in series.

Does that help?

Steve
What I am saying is 2 batteries in series doubles the 20 hr rate.

I understand it does not double the the AH capacity.

If each battery is rated to deliver 225 AH@ the 20 HR rate, each will deliver 225 AH@ the 20 HR rate, in series or parallel.

The 20 HR rate is calculated for the battery, at whatever the voltage it is built to supply.

Does this help ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Great News ! So obviuosly I better check my settings. Sounds like either Entegra or the dealers need to put inverter settings on the delivery QC checklist.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:42 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I guess the same person that installed and setup mine is still at Entegra.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter