Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
2014 Entegra Cornerstone

Inverter Usage

I've found this forum to be a wealth of information and would have been using it more had my work schedule allowed me to use my new to me '14 Cornerstone which I bought in January.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning on a short 4 day trip to Paso Robles Wine Country.

Even though I've had three other RV's, I've NEVER used the Inverter. I know how to turn it on though.

DW just filled up the fridge. I turned on Inverter, fridge working fine. I'm parked in my neighborhood so turning the auto gen on is not an option.

Question: will my batteries get run down in the eight hours from now that I'm leaving and can start the generator?

Thanks,

Butch & Dana

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe....maybe not. How many house batteries and what type do you have?

Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #3

It should last at least 8 hours if the batteries haven't been abused.

Once on the road, the engine charging system should be charging your house batteries while also covering the fridge load.

If they are real low and you want to give them a charge from the generator, you should be able to use the boost switch, to get the generator started. That will let the inverter/charger recharge them.

Without knowing how many batteries or what size and condition they are in, you will just have to give it a try.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Butch, just my experience with the 2014 factory installed batteries. Making it 8 hours when new was a stretch. They shortened with age, but hopefully the refrigerator will be cold enough to leave and start the generator. If not, it is going to be a good test for the age of the batteries.

Checking the battery state of charge on the inverter panel every couple of hour should give a good indication of the batteries condition and how well they are holding a charge.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Buy/use a long extension cord to plug in?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
2014 Entegra Cornerstone

The batteries held on for eight hours but just barely. Had to use the aux switch to get the gen to start this morning after having Inverter on for 8 hours. The batteries appear to be original. I store the coach indoors and it's plugged in most of the time, so I think batteries are still good. Plugged in now so all is well. Thanks everyone
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
On my 14 Anthem, which has had two "drain the battery" episodes at Cummins and Entegra, I can go all night running the fridge off the inverter. The secret is turn EVERYTHING else off. There are lights, fans, radios, basement fridge, courtesy lights all over that pull a draw. I tried running the fridge all night once while running the floor heat, using the AH pumps, and it drained the battery too much. Maybe when I replace the batteries next year, and prevent them from being drained again, I will be able to run the AH pumps and the fridge.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchT View Post
The batteries held on for eight hours but just barely. Had to use he aux switch to get the gen to start this morning after having Inverter on for 8 hours. The batteries appear to be original. I store the coach indoors and it's plugged in most of the time, so I think batteries are still good. Plugged in now so all is well. Thanks everyone
All is not well. If you had to use the Aux switch to start the generator, it means that your batteries were drained flat or nearly so. This indicates that your batteries are dying. In order to achieve normal battery life, they should never be drained below 50% capacity (approx 12.0V) and yours are going well below that. In order to avoid over-depleting your batteries, your coach has an Auto Gen Start system (AGS), which will start and stop your generator automatically to prevent over-discharging the batteries which is a form of battery abuse leading to short battery life. You need to learn how to use the AGS. read your manuals as it is a little tricky to learn the AGS functions.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
All is not well. If you had to use the Aux switch to start the generator, it means that your batteries were drained flat or nearly so. This indicates that your batteries are dying. In order to achieve normal battery life, they should never be drained below 50% capacity (approx 12.0V) and yours are going well below that. In order to avoid over-depleting your batteries, your coach has an Auto Gen Start system (AGS), which will start and stop your generator automatically to prevent over-discharging the batteries which is a form of battery abuse leading to short battery life. You need to learn how to use the AGS. read your manuals as it is a little tricky to learn the AGS functions.

If its a 2014 than he will also probably have to have the EC30 from Magnum updated so that it will try to start more than once. Others will chime in here but I think there were a batch of EC30's with bad code.
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

He said its parked in his neighborhood which prevents him from Using the AGS to run the generator.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

Seems silly not to have a fridge that runs on both electricity and propane in a RV. Who thought this was a good idea?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Seems silly not to have a fridge that runs on both electricity and propane in a RV. Who thought this was a good idea?
It could have been someone whose propane refrigerator would not get cold, or broke down, or maybe someone whose propane fridge burned his coach to the ground.

I just got a check for $300 from from a class action lawsuit settlement over Norcold's miserable propane refrigerators.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
People that don't truly boondock, would be my guess. JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It could have been someone whose propane refrigerator would not get cold, or broke down, or maybe someone whose propane fridge burned his coach to the ground.

I just got a check for $300 from from a class action lawsuit settlement over Norcold's miserable propane refrigerators.
X at least a 1 million. What a sorry excuse for a cooling unit. That was the #1 reason for upgrading MH's. My check from NOclod did not even cover the food we had to throw out because it spoiled in 24 hours. Never again!!! I'd go back to my old camper with an ice box, at least it worked.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter