Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Rob, I tried upgrading the paint job on the Anthem and was turned down, the iPad thing might be workable if I stay with the Anthem. Fortunately I have a little over a week to think about it, that K3 chassis keeps calling me :-) I already have several email questions I'm waiting on Tadd to respond to already, I'll add this to my next batch. Thanks...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
What worries me about the Anthem is a 61,600# coach powered by a Cummins ISL 8.9L eng

Actually, what worries me about the Anthem is a 61,600# coach powered by a Cummins ISL 8.9L engine. Entegra uses the uprated 450HP ISL, but the torque is the same as the std ISL 400HP, 1250 ft lbs. Remember, the ISL is just a factory warmed over ISC 8.3L engine with a slightly longer stroke.

I have 1100 ft lbs torque in my current coach with half that weight. I can't imagine trying to pull one of the steep grades out west in 100+ degree heat with only 1250 ft lbs of torque in a 61,000 pound vehicle.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #17

Vito, I understand your concern, I had a Travel supreme Alante with the ISM 500hp and big torque and was really concerned about the ISL 1250 lb ft of torque. HOWEVER, I am happy to report there are no worries. I have had my coach in the rockies and can tell you it is more than adequate and up to the job of the western states mountains. We ours pretty well loaded, travel with full fresh water tanks etc and at that time were pulling a Lincoln MKX, all with no problems and it did not pull down appreciable more than my ISM did. I do not know what they have done to the ISL but it really performs far better than the traditional specs would lead you to believe it could. I am NOT telling you it would pass or even stay with the ISM going up the rockies but it does not pull down a lot and put you in the slow lane like I was all but positive that it would. It really is more than adequate and gets a LOT better fuel mileage to boot. I do not know how Cummins has done it but believe me they have and you will not be disappointed. Just my experience.

PS on edit. On the other hand, if you don't mind spending the extra $100K for the Cornerstone, I am POSITIVE that you would love the upgrades including the 600 hp ISX AND the K3 chassis. The suspension is better, the girard awning is a better, higher quality awning and of course that good looking chrome down the side. All in all, a great coach, just have to write a bigger check. lol Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #18

I live in Colorado... And, in short, agree with Gene's post above. I won't win a drag race but I certainly make it up the mtn faster than the OTR guys.
BTW- The 2 stage jake break is a HUGE peace of mind when you get to the top and start your way down!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #19

I climbed Black Mountain in NC today; 6% grade with cruise set in 53 mph. Never struggled, never turned over 1700 RPM, and absolutely left the truckers in the right-hand lane. Used 1st and 2nd stages of braking down the other side. Never used 3rd stage, never touched brakes. Towing a Yukon XL. The the 600HP is wonderful!
Home safely...
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I currently have a 43' coach with the 400 ISL at 1200 ft-lbs of torque pulling a 5K toad and pull mountains out west all the time with ease. I like the Anthem 44SL and one of my concerns was the ability to pull a 45' coach with the 450 ISL. I recently tested an American Eagle 45T, which was slightly heavier than the Anthem. It had the 450 ISL on a MMGT chassis. I was pleased to find that it handled it very well so my concerns about the 450 being too light for the 44SL are now over.

I have driven the 600HP Cornerstone, which was a real treat, but if the Cornerstone is out of anyone's price range I see no reason that they won't be satisfied with a 450HP 45' Anthem. It'll do just fine.

That "61,600 lb coach" is a bit misleading though. The GCWR is 61,600 but the GVWR is 46,600, which allows for a 15K hitch rating. In reality, you'll never reach the generous CCC of an Anthem unless you are hauling lead ingots in the basement. You'll most likely be around 42K fully loaded. Add in a typical toadat 5K and the maximum that most owners will ever be hauling up a mountain gade is 47,000 lbs. If you are one of the rare circumstances that does travel with a 15K trailer and basement full of heavy tools I would give the Cornerstone a serious look.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #21

Cruzer, could not agree more except for one statement:
unless you are hauling lead ingots in the basement. In your case I suspect that would be GOLD ingots. lol On another subject, can not wait to see the pics of the new Aspires supposed to be coming next week.
We kinda like the 44SL but thing we are partial to the 44 QLD or whatever last letter they are using now, can't remember, anyway we REALLY like the linen cabinet in the bathroom and the hamper below it. Plus we like the twin sinks but miss the medicine cabinets the SL has. Choices.....choices........choices, always decisions.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

One thing to consider when looking at the 44DLQ (or 42DLQ). When the slides are in it is very difficult to access the bedroom. You need to be very skinny to fit through the narrow slot once the bedroom curbside slideout is in. Normally you look at these coaches when the slides are out but try looking at them when the slide is in and you might be in for a shock. The 44SL and 42RBQ don't have those issues. If you can't see a coach in person, take a look at the floorplans ion the Entegra website and imagine that slideout fully retracted and you'll see what I mean. If you are parked at a rest area, WalMart, or any area where you cannot extend your slideouts this could be a real issue, even if you just had to go grab a raincoat from the wardrobe.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #23

Cruzer is right on, our 42 DL is tight with any slide in the back in so if the weather is iffy we put a couple of jackets or whatever on the bed before closing the slides so we do not have to crawl across the bed to get them. Still.......love that pantry and big linen closet in the 44 DLQ and it is currently our top choice when and if we trade. All, obviously, just our opinion.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #24

We slide out the vanity slide to get into the bedroom. It's only our 17", haven't had an issue yet. Stay in rest areas and walmart,.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #25

Dana, we do likewise when spending an evening Wal-docking, has worked fine for us also.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #26

Sounds correct. I order a Cornerstone in April and it should be delivered in mid August. I did order the Ipad center only because were sort of tech freaks and think it should be a fun option.
Goodwin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomeguy View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've managed to learn a little about the iPad System, the distributor has some information here - 2011 RVIA Show | Firefly Integrations
It's kind of neat, just not sure if it's worth all that much and how problematic it might be after time. Concerning production, we ordered the Anthem in early March and it is due to begin production in May. I was told I would have to change the order by the first of May if I plan on switching to a Cornerstone. I was told if I switched, the Cornerstone delivery is estimated to be September...

I ordered a Cornerstone in March, I'm being told that I should have it in about mid August. May to Sept should be about right. You'll notice a change or two with the products after august.... Better, I think!!
Goodwin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwin21 View Post
May to Sept should be about right.
But, I hate this wait-wait-wait. Four months to go.... Yuck!