Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Is one bathroom enough?

Probably debated here before but I am too lazy to search. We are debating a new 44B vs the DEQ. My wife insists the extra 1/2 bath is a big issue and I am thinking that we can get along just fine with a single bathroom. So, is the extra 1/2 bath overkill or something you can't imagine living without?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How many years have people lived with only one bath in an RV? In fact, how many people have lived with an RV that had no bath or very minimal?
The only reason for the bath and a half floorplan now is that you can't get to a rear bath with the slides in!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
That is a decision only you and the DW can make. We did fine for 20+ years with a single bath MH. We upgraded to a 1.5 bath RBQ and like it for our travel needs. Would I give up the 1/2 bath for a floor plan I couldn't live without......yes. I would trade the 1/2 bath for a nice computer desk.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One bath for us is enough but remember the old saying: "If the wife isn't happy nobody is happy".

In the seldom cases where 2 baths are needed there is usually the campground baths to use.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

My wife would not go for a coach with only one toilet, when the grandheathens are with us I wouldnt either.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Rear bath models typically have more room for vanity, double sinks, etc. That being said, we recently bought a 41' with single split bath. The large rear baths sacrifice room in other areas of the coach, and we liked the floor plan that had single bath. In over 40 years RVing, I've never had a problem with a single bath (even when we had the kids with us, we just sent them to the campground shower/toilets). Strictly a matter of choice - whatever floats your boat!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are going to have guests the 1/2 bath is nice - especially if you have a rear bath. Not being familiar with the floor plans it's hard to say. If you have a hallway and/or split bath - it probably is enough even with a guest. The one thing with ours is the rear toilet is a Tecma macerator unit and a failure there is more complex and expensive than a straight up gravity unit.

We like the half bath since it conserves water and the Tecma is a water hog. So if dry camping the 1/2 gets used as its right above the tank.

Compare the two - see what you're giving up to have the half bath - and then consider the above. Best I can do...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

If you are looking at a rear bath floor plan - all sleep over visitors will be walking through your bedroom for the late night visit to the john. The only time is see a need for more than one bath - consider your sleep over guests and floor plan.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whether it's kids, overnight guests or just a tailgate - we love our bath and a half. Our suite is pretty much off limits. As things stand now I can't see ever going back to a single bath.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
When we had our last MH - the toilet quit on us 3 times .. it was a macerator. Bad news, I don't want to get up in the middle of the night and go to a campground bathroom. We went with the 44B that has the other 1/2 bath that is gravity - so now, if the macerator quits - we can still use our own facilities until it's fixed.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #11

Hmmmmmmmmmm, at 37 years of age, I lost half my colon to cancer. My wife of 45 years has a problem that requires frequent use of a toilet and it gets worse with age.... We have had one bathroom for two years and it has been a major problem more than a couple of times. Our new coach has a bath and a half and we are really looking forward to it. Also, as others have said, with our 44B model, one would have to do a very snappy and nimble forward roll over the bed to get to the back bathroom with the slides in, or going down the road.

The half bath is going to be a very nice addition!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We had 1-1/2 baths in our 5th wheel and we never used the bath in the garage. It was on a 2nd holding tank and meant dumping a 2nd tank from a different discharge. It also did not have a flush line in it.

Now we have a rear bath in the MADP and we will probably use the 1/2 bath more than the master, especially when boonedocking. I have learned that all but the newest macerators will fill a holding tank in a hurry. The 1/2 bath does not have a macerator in ours, but I understand that it is in many of the newer models.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very much a personal decision.

Nice if one has guests. Also good if having kids traveling with you.

For us we would rather not give up the space to the added bath, or the additional size of RV needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
For us (and we had a DEQ; now have a 45J), it came down to where you live...bathroom or living area. For us the decision was easy...living area. But we full time.

The earlier poster hit the mark...you have to weigh how you want to live. JMHO, it makes a big difference whether you full time or not, as well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote