Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #1

Is the onboard surge protection

from the pedestal, sufficient on these new coaches?
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
from the pedestal, sufficient on these new coaches?
In the few parks I've been to so far I have NOT seen any that had on board surge protection at the pedestal. Most do have breakers but these will offer little to no protection for your RV. I would suggest you purchase one of the units from TRC (SurgeGuard) or Progressive. These come in both 30amp and 50amp and are also available as hardwired or portable units.They do cost from two to three hundred dollars but a surge in the line that fries your RV electronics will cost you thousands to replace.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
In the few parks I've been to so far I have NOT seen any that had on board surge protection at the pedestal. Most do have breakers but these will offer little to no protection for your RV. I would suggest you purchase one of the units from TRC (SurgeGuard) or Progressive. These come in both 30amp and 50amp and are also available as hardwired or portable units.They do cost from two to three hundred dollars but a surge in the line that fries your RV electronics will cost you thousands to replace.
Todd
X2
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #4

Sorry for wording my question so poorly..

What I meant to say, is that I know these coaches come with some electrical "protection" built in them.

Should I be adding another layer of electrical protection, in terms of a SurgeGuard, ort other branded unit, to protect the coach from spikes from the pedestal or low voltage?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Todd
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would and do use a surge protector at the pedastal. Whether you use one at the pedastal or one hardwired at the coach end of the external power cord, I suggest you invest in one. Not only do they project from voltage spikes but some also protect from improper wiring.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have a 50 amp surge protector for the pedastal....have too many friends who have lost TV's, computers and microwaves to power surges in parks. We also bought a lock for the surge protector...just in case.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Robert, Unless it's a real top-end coach, most don't come from the factory with surge protection.

Many come with some form of EMS (Energy Management System) which will balance and shed loads as needed, but few of those have surge built in.

Not saying the one you looking at doesn't, you didn't specify, but unless it specifically says it does (and how many amps/joules etc) then you really should consider getting one. Better still, get a mid-range unit that offers low-voltage and mis-wired protection too.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Recently I purchased a 2007 Jayco Melbourne Class C model RV. I have purchesed a surge protector (not the portable one) from Progressive Energy (30 amp ) service. Not only does it protect against surges, but also reverse polarity, too little voltage and a number of different power problems. The protector just doesn't let the power thru until the correct amps, wattage and voltage is correct. I have heard way to many war stories about different power poblems and costing lots of money. I decided its great and cheap insurance against power problems.
Bob O'Conor
Rbocwkbs is offline   Reply With Quote