Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

ISL-Check Engine Light

Headed to National Indoor RV Center and the check engine light just came on. Any suggestions as to how to determine the problem will be appreciated. ISL engine. I do not see any indication of fluid leaks. Engine temp is 203 and trans temp is 206. Oil pressure is 50-60 psi. DEF level is 3/4.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your Freightliner or Spartan manual to see if you can retrieve codes thru the console display. Then call them with the codes and they'll tell you what system is affected.

The Cummins ISL uses a software suite called "Insite"...which is a subscription service from Cummins. It runs on a laptop with a 9-pin data link connector to connect to your coach. It reads the codes and supplies troubleshooting guidance to the technician.

We've had occurrences twice...and I just called Freightliner. They had it towed to the nearest Freightliner shop for service, since it was under warranty.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Keith, I would suggest contacting either Spartan, or Cummins and ask them to walk you through this process the first time.

The codes can typically be retrieved by using the control arrows to navigate through the DIC (Driver Information Center) menus. The DIC is that thing that indicated temps, MOG, etc.

The means to retrieve these codes involve having the brake set, trans in neutral, then (IIRC) RT. ARROW to scroll through the menu choices until you locate DIAGNOSTICS, then DN. ARROW to the menu titled FAULT CODES.

If the above doesn't work, try it the other way around. I typically have to do this a couple of times to get what I need.

I typically take a picture, then open the Entegra App, which has a Cummins Fault Code decoder. This will translate your code into the Cummins code which can then help in deciding what to do.

Ordinarily a CEL will clear itself if the problem is transient, after a certain number of key ON cycles. If the problem is significant enough, and affects things like emissions, it can derate and make driving very difficult if ignored.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Keith, I would suggest contacting either Spartan, or Cummins and ask them to walk you through this process the first time.

The codes can typically be retrieved by using the control arrows to navigate through the DIC (Driver Information Center) menus. The DIC is that thing that indicated temps, MOG, etc.

The means to retrieve these codes involve having the brake set, trans in neutral, then (IIRC) RT. ARROW to scroll through the menu choices until you locate DIAGNOSTICS, then DN. ARROW to the menu titled FAULT CODES.

If the above doesn't work, try it the other way around. I typically have to do this a couple of times to get what I need.

I typically take a picture, then open the Entegra App, which has a Cummins Fault Code decoder. This will translate your code into the Cummins code which can then help in deciding what to do.

Ordinarily a CEL will clear itself if the problem is transient, after a certain number of key ON cycles. If the problem is significant enough, and affects things like emissions, it can derate and make driving very difficult if ignored.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

-Matt
Matt, where do I find the app? I got the codes. Both were from the engine. SPN 4364 FMI 18 & SPN 4094 FMI 31. Can you give me some insight?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

Keith let me get home and I'll look those up.

-Matt
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Matt, Found the codes on the forum. DEF system issues. Will limp to service in the morning. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #7

Keith, I found the SCR Efficiency code, but not the other one.

A couple of easy things you can do as you journey to NIRVC..

-When starting, let the Wait To Start and amber CEL light extinguish before attempting a start. The CEL may take 45-60 seconds to extinguish. If your codes are still active, the CEL may not extinguish at all. In that case, I'd fire it up after a minute regardless.

-Avoid idling for any time more than necessary. Don't "warm up" or "cool down" any more than absolutely necessary.

-Ensure you have a fresh load of DEF.

NIRVC can get a Cummins guy to visit your coach, but it may prove logistically easier to get service at Cummins.

Best Regards,

-Matt
Old 06-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan told me the color of lights have meaning.....

Yellow Check Engine light - Okay to run, drive to get fixed

Red check Engine light - Pullover, shutdown engine, call for help
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Finding the meaning of the code is important. If it is DEF issue, it will do as Dave said go into limp mode in so many miles. If it is a minor DEF issue just the yellow CEL. I would not try to continue on until the meaning of the code is confirmed. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #10

Keith, I think it would be prudent to contact Spartan or Cummins to determine exactly what is happening.

We recently had an amber CEL relating to emissions that would eventually lead to a derate and could ultimately result in a 5 MPH speed.

Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

-Matt
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #11

Made it to Georgia Welcome Station. "Red-Stop Engine" light came on just as I pulled in. Working with Coach Net to get mobile mechanic to come to me. All three codes indicate DEF system issue. Hopefully repairs can be done without towing as towing this big thing is a challenge. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi View Post
Made it to Georgia Welcome Station. "Red-Stop Engine" light came on just as I pulled in. Working with Coach Net to get mobile mechanic to come to me. All three codes indicate DEF system issue. Hopefully repairs can be done without towing as towing this big thing is a challenge. Thanks for all the responses.
Sorry to say, but from sharing with others that had that problem, it was a Cummins shop for repairs. One forum member had to wait a week for one of the parts, lucky the part came from Atlanta, he was in MT. Those DEF codes need immediate attention, they have a very short fuse. Hope yours is a simple fix
Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
IF you must be towed...from my experience..... make sure they tell tow company your size/weight and you want to be towed from the wheels, not the frame. After two trucks dispatched that were to small, we had to spend the night middle of nowhere! An e mail to Joyce, our angel, fixed that.. 8 am next morning a really big tow truck showed with literally white glove service. Again just my experience!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Any word from the mobile mechanic what the problem was? It might help the next person researching that CEL code.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light