Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post

I don't know how old your tow bar is but, in general, do your own inspection of the tow bar periodically. look carefully for cracked welds, sloppy pins, etc. Is everything working fine?
There is nothing wrong with Blue Ox or any of the other manufacturers. They all need routine maintenance.
Clean it up, do a careful inspection and make sure you have it level when operating and you should be fine until you can get it rebuilt.
I will check it over today....as soon as the garage heats up. Should I spray some silicone on the arms?
Thanks for helping with my confidence.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Yes the plus or minus 3" from level is very important. Not as much about the stress it places on the tow bar but the stress it places on the tow plates and the frame of the toad. You can easily inspect the tow bar but it's much more difficult to inspect the tow plates and frame so it doesn't get done. I have seen some totally insane angles on tow bars.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenster View Post
Looks like I need a drop for the receiver. Now I am concerned about my BO Aladdin , I have never had it serviced. I wonder how long that takes as we hope to get the new rig by the 10th and take right off for Fl.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it Dave.
Tom
If you have the Aladdin that the piece where mine broke is still Aluminum, it does need to be upgraded to the new steel piece. Aluminum does not show any signs of metal fatigue, it just snaps. If a magnet will not stick to it, that part needs to be replaced. BO no longer sells that tow bar with that coupling in aluminum, too many failures. If a magnet sticks to that U shaped piece, it is the newer model and much stronger.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

If you have the Aladdin that the piece where mine broke is still Aluminum, it does need to be upgraded to the new steel piece. Aluminum does not show any signs of metal fatigue, it just snaps. If a magnet will not stick to it, that part needs to be replaced. BO no longer sells that tow bar with that coupling in aluminum, too many failures. If a magnet sticks to that U shaped piece, it is the newer model and much stronger.
Chuck, are you talking about the ends where the pins go through?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck, are you talking about the ends where the pins go through?
Tom, this piece right here. In the owners manual it is called a "hitch mount" It is the U shaped piece at the end where the straight square bar slides in the the MH towing receiver.

If you look on the left side of the photo you will see my towing arm has a scuff on it. That is where the towing arm had hit the hitch mount in tight turns weakening it.

Double click the photo to enlarge it to see the ding on the towing arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_13-02-19_907.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	50654  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #62

Quote:

Tom, this piece right here. In the owners manual it is called a "hitch mount" It is the U shaped piece at the end where the straight square bar slides in the the MH towing receiver.

If you look on the left side of the photo you will see my towing arm has a scuff on it. That is where the towing arm had hit the hitch mount in tight turns weakening it.

I will check mine shortly, thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
You are welcome Tom. At least I am kind of staying on subject, this happened on the OH turnpike 200 miles from the Entegra factory where we were headed to take the tour.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #64

Quote:
You are welcome Tom. At least I am kind of staying on subject, this happened on the OH turnpike 200 miles from the Entegra factory where we were headed to take the tour.
What kind of damage did you receive?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
What kind of damage did you receive?
Very fortunate, none. We were just pulling away from a fuel stop when I heard the "pop". Turned to the DW and said we just snapped the tow bar. Looked in the backup screen and saw the toad rolling off to the side while I was stopped. Thankfully the toad rolled to the DS and the cables held it.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
If you go to a rally, Roadmaster and Blue Ox usually have inspection/repair stations. We had our 11 year old Roadmaster done that way. Much of the work was complementary BTW.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #67

Quote:
Very fortunate, none. We were just pulling away from a fuel stop when I heard the "pop". Turned to the DW and said we just snapped the tow bar. Looked in the backup screen and saw the toad rolling off to the side while I was stopped. Thankfully the toad rolled to the DS and the cables held it.
I bet you had a cocktail that night and thanked the big guy.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #68

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I bet you had a cocktail that night and thanked the big guy.
Amen! to both
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #69

Quote:

Just checked our BO tow bar. All those parts you pictured are metal. Used a magnet on everything. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it very much.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #70

In my earlier comment relative to a drop hitch, I ordered a 6" drop hitch from Roadmaster ( from; e-trailer.com). Our toad is a 07 Ford Explorer; Eddie Bauer. I was considering a 4" drop hitch, but the angle would have been too severe. The connection is completely level with the 6". Obviously, this will vary with the respective height of the toad. dd..
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase