Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
in my 40 years of driving trucks, I can tell you that a light foot on the brake pedal or excessive use of brakes going down a hill creates heat and heat glazes the brake pads over,the correct way is use the jake whenever possible and when stopping, use a hard stabbing foot pressure on the brake pedal. I could bring a fully loaded truck to almost a stop just using the jake anticipating a stop and then hit the brake pedal to come to a stop and I never had brakes fail or had them replaced for a lot of miles, just my humble opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
We are ALL EARS eager to hear your 6 million mile opinion.......
Must of missed it.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Must of missed it.......
Didn't miss it, Define a "Fully Loaded Truck"......
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
I surrender.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Didn't miss it, Define a "Fully Loaded Truck"......
This might help Interesting Facts About Semi Trucks and Eighteen-Wheelers
and everything in between........
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Ok, that might meet the definition of a "Fully Loaded Truck"
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Imagine an overloaded truck with dozens of propane bottles hanging from it randomly. We've seen that in our overseas travels. Yes, we stayed waaay back from that one!
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This might help Interesting Facts About Semi Trucks and Eighteen-Wheelers
and everything in between........
Thanks for sharing the facts, I didn't know if he was referring to a full freight load (80,000lbs) or the close to full loads I haul around daily (pictured below) 150k-250k, I have never experienced hot or glazed brake issue in my 35 years in this Business, all though I do not have 6 million miles under my belt either, at a 40 year career that would be 150k a year? The best I have ever done is 102k in a 12 month period, I would have to say that his experience (mileage wise) is a lot greater than mine there for his opinion is one that should be respected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	859542_751874918178952_5912754012020952082_o.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	78024  
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #35

dmt I know you know what im talking about , the wanna be mh drivers well that's another story. all my hauling was heavy legally with permits. I hauled logs from the woods where you were on a cowpath for miles off a paved road , by the way my own trucks that grossed 140,000 lbs daily. I also hauled 60 ton 120 foot long pre stressed concreye bridge beams, I also pulled two 45 tandems on the ny thruway and mass pike. and I also hauled 80,000 lb loads so my experience is vast. so yeah I get upset when I hear if you don't use your service brakes they will glaze over or you have to heat your brake pads up to prevent glazing. I must have missed something in 40 years about if you don't lose them you lose them, once again heat are you brakes worse enemy. now I will keep my mouth shut and drive my way and they can drive their way sorry to ruffle anybodies feathers
Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
So, y'all ... for us just "rv drivers" that don't have y'all's experience, what is the answer to the OP's question? Is it ok to use the jake brake on low for general driving?

If the original question was answered .... I missed it and really would like to know!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Mine used To be when you took your foot off the accelerator, but I had the ECM programmed for jake brake coming on when I touch the brake pedal. Like you I like for the mh to coast without trying to feather the throttle. Noel

Who would do this kind of programming? I'd very much like to coast when needed and not have to keep flicking the engine brake off and on. Does that mean that you have to touch the brakes in order for the Jake to operate?

hmmm, that said, when I know I'm coming to a stop sign, I let the engine brake do all the work until the final 100' or so, then touch the brakes. I can't have it both ways, I guess.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #38

[QUOTE=DebbieMH;2293816]So, y'all ... for us just "rv drivers" that don't have y'all's experience, what is the answer to the OP's question? Is it ok to use the jake brake on low for general driving?

If the original question was answered .... I missed it and really would like to know![/QUOTE

JMO, Use your Engine Brake, Put your speed in check with minimal pedal pressure that's what works for me.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
![/QUOTE

JMO, Use your Engine Brake, Put your speed in check with minimal pedal pressure that's what works for me.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That is what I was hoping you would say. I have an exhaust brake now and do feel more comfortable driving with it on. I'm thinking I will really like the jake brake when I'm driving something about twice the weight I am now.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Who would do this kind of programming? I'd very much like to coast when needed and not have to keep flicking the engine brake off and on. Does that mean that you have to touch the brakes in order for the Jake to operate?

hmmm, that said, when I know I'm coming to a stop sign, I let the engine brake do all the work until the final 100' or so, then touch the brakes. I can't have it both ways, I guess.
Spartan programmed my ECM. Yes, it means you have to touch the brake for the jake brake to engage.
For what it's worth I never turn my jake brake off. If you need it in a crunch it will be too late to turn it on. As with anything you have to use a little common sense. I do cycle between high and low as needed if in the mountains, but it is never off.
I have driven a fair amount of miles and never glazed brakes on any mh I've had. Having said that even if it might possibly glaze the brakes I still wouldn't turn it off due to needing it in an emergency.
It is my mh and while I listen to what everyone says I am ultimately responsible for the operation. JMHO Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #41

Jakes in rain in mountains

I would like to hear from the experienced on how they use Jakes when it is raining in the mountains. I understand the reasons most everything I read says not to, but I would like to hear to hear from those who have done it.

Never? Sometimes? Often? Depending on conditions? If not, how do you safely negotiate the downhills with service brakes alone? Downshift and service brake? No overheating issues?

I learned to drive a car while living in the north, and I developed the habit of testing the braking conditions after new snows, etc. by progressively trying the brakes, adding pressure each time to see how easy it was to get the car to skid. Is there safe way to tell the road conditions for Jake use in a 40,000lb MH, or do I just pull over at the first sign of rain? I don't plan on driving after it snows! :-)

We are purchasing our first DP, with a two stage Jake, I have zero experience using a Jake, though I have driven a gas MH in the mountains for many years. We do plan on taking a full day course with an instructor before heading west this summer, and I will be sure to bring this topic up, but I would like to hear what others, with actual experience, have to say.
Lindamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #42

It is apparent that some are confusing a "Jake Brake" with an "exhaust brake".
(NOT the OP who apparently has a true Jake Brake).

A true "Jake, or "Jacobs Brake", is a "compression release brake"... (internal to the engine itself), which is considerably different than an "exhust brake", (like the PacBrake), which is a butterfly in the exhaust pipe added by the coach builder.

Although they acomplish the same thing they do it in a totally different way.
See: Compression release engine brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And: Exhaust brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake