Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Purchases Elkhart-Based Paint Facility

This may be old news but I spotted an article in RV Business today about Jayco acquiring Herremans Custom Paint & Graphics in Elkhart. Link to article here:

Jayco Purchases Elkhart-Based Paint Facility | RV Business

The company reported that the acquisition was done to meet the needs of Jayco and Entegra Coach motorhomes.

So long Precision???

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #2

Or is it in addition to Precision? My guess is it may be in addition to Precision but we'll have to see.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
After the paint job that was on my MH at delivery, that has got to be an improvement. Maybe Jayco has not been that pleased with the work the Precision has been putting out? I know I wasn't, but they can do nice work the second time around.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
After the paint job that was on my MH at delivery, that has got to be an improvement. Maybe Jayco has not been that pleased with the work the Precision has been putting out? I know I wasn't, but they can do nice work the second time around.
Did they actually repaint or remove orange peel?

Seems to me this is good news for Entegra since they will now have better control over the product. Probably also good news for Precision since it will take the pressure off them to expand. The challenge will be the "getting up to speed" time period.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
That's true...talked with one of the owners. The expansion and contraction of the RV business is tough on them. If I remember correctly, he said they were down to 12 people including the three tri-owners in 2008. Now they have a new plant late 2012 and they still are full bore.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I've seen plenty of comments here about paint issues with Precision. The issues must have gotten loud enough (e.g., expensive) that Jayco decided they needed to take action and Precision couldn't/wouldn't adapt.

Jayco has been through the ups and downs of several cycles and have managed to get through pretty well. Managing the quality and consistency of external venders through such periods puts additional stress on management, which is probably one of the reasons why manufacturers tend to produce so much of their own product internally. Cost is probably the major factor though.

Strategically, it makes sense for Jayco to take the painting internal -- if they can match the quality that once made Precision so attractive. They must believe that Herreman's can at least match the quality. Jayco can continue to use Precision while production climbs and Herreman's comes up to speed. But when the cycle starts to slump, Precision will be the first thing cut. If I was a member of the Precision team, I'd be worried that a major customer has put my business in a tight spot; even as I have everyone going full bore.

As an Entegra customer, I'm taking the acquisition to mean one additional commitment that Jayco has for the product line.

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Did they actually repaint or remove orange peel?
There were several areas that were repainted that was not orange peel. As for how they treated the orange peel, that I can't answer as I did not see the work preformed. At least my entry door doesn't look like it was was painted with a basketball anymore

I also think P&GD comment is right on. After having a third party paint job that was absolutely horrible, I am really pleased to see that Entegra has done something about it with a large investment. That really says a lot about the company and what they do to solve major problems.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Orange peel is wet sanded and machine buffed.

As for Precision, I think that Entegra continuing to increase production would be the hardest on the paint process. It takes up a fixed amount of time, qualified people and a vast amount of real estate with little economy of scale. All while Entegra is telling them I will only pay this much. It wouldn't surprise me if Precision is supportive of Entegra's decision. Hopefully it is a win win!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, paint, purchase