Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Just a note regarding locking basement doors

Just a note regarding locking basement doors in general. On our way home from Middlebury,IN, we pulled off I-80 to fuel up, passing a toll booth. As we passed it we heard a “boom”, I looked in the right rear mirror and saw a basement door in the open position.
We stopped and surveyed the damage. The door has a vertical crease in it, almost in its center. The outer lip of the door is bent outward and two of the upper screws holding it to the coach were sheared off. Along that vertical crease, paint is flaked off, less than 10% of the crease.
I took the door off and am bringing it to a “high tech", well recommended, auto body shop on Monday. Not sure if they work on aluminum or not.
I will provide them the extra paint bottles that were given when we picked up the coach, for touch up, should they need them.
I know I checked all door before departure, though they were NOT locked. I imagine that during the locking process, I would have felt the key, perhaps, getting hung up and not moving as smooth as it should..
Note to owner, lock your doors

Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had unlocked basement doors pop open on me in the past on the drivers side due to the wind and road conditions. I still sometimes over look an unlocked door prior to moving out.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your experience - grateful for the advice. Best of luck getting your door repaired.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two of my doors don't even have locks. The generator door and the propane tank door. Should I try to secure them some way so they don't come open unexpectedly?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Just had three more bolts shear off to day from the def door upon opening today...pop,pop,pop....those bolts are a problem.
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I have had unlocked basement doors pop open on me in the past on the drivers side due to the wind and road conditions. I still sometimes over look an unlocked door prior to moving out.
That used to happen all the time on my Tiffin. Didn't take me long to put "bay doors locked" in my departure checklist. On my Entegra, I first lock them with the key and then gently pull from the bottom to make sure they really are locked. It's so routine that I don't even think about it and it adds only a minute or two to do.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just a side note. I carry a spare latch lock. My plunger is plastic and the last one broke while on a trip. Now how do you lock the bay doors? I had a spare one. Thank goodness. I right away purchased another spare.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Tom,

Even with your remote fob, you still lock them manually? Ron
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

I'm new to class A travel, Glad to hear this I've camped twice with it never thought about it coming open
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fortunately, on my Surf Side, the compartments all open to the side, except the two at the far rear. And yes, I have had one of those come open.

Help me understand what locking them does. Doesn't that just prevent the outside handle from moving? If they are not fully closed won't they still open? I usually have them locked anyway, but just wondering.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3Here View Post
Just a note regarding locking basement doors in general. On our way home from Middlebury,IN, we pulled off I-80 to fuel up, passing a toll booth. As we passed it we heard a “boom”, I looked in the right rear mirror and saw a basement door in the open position.
We stopped and surveyed the damage. The door has a vertical crease in it, almost in its center. The outer lip of the door is bent outward and two of the upper screws holding it to the coach were sheared off. Along that vertical crease, paint is flaked off, less than 10% of the crease.
I took the door off and am bringing it to a “high tech", well recommended, auto body shop on Monday. Not sure if they work on aluminum or not.
I will provide them the extra paint bottles that were given when we picked up the coach, for touch up, should they need them.
I know I checked all door before departure, though they were NOT locked. I imagine that during the locking process, I would have felt the key, perhaps, getting hung up and not moving as smooth as it should..
Note to owner, lock your doors
I was just wondering what caused the door to open in the first place? I did not have my slide tray latched one time and on a curve it started to slide and hit the basement door and blew it open and the tray came out the side, lost a couple of things but no damage to the door. Other than that I have never just had one come open but I check (give a pull) all my doors before hitting the road.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Locking Propane door

Just as a note to those reading this thread. I don't think I would put a lock on the propane cabinet door. What happens if you get an emergency fire and need to turn the propane off at the source? Those would be valuable minutes lost looking for a key. A better solution would be to run a chain through the handles of the propane bottles and then around the frame of the trailer.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUS4US View Post
Tom,

Even with your remote fob, you still lock them manually? Ron
Yep, a person with the right tool can pop the electronically locked locks open. To be honest, the only time I use the key fob is to unlock them after turning the master coach alarm off. ....and then I use the key to complete the process.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
HHg

Thanks for the info.....I ALWAYS lock my doors upon arrival at home base. I will start locking them prior to campground departure from now on!!

Hhg