Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Koni shocks on Entegra

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask on, but has anyone with an Entegra non-tag (or tag) coach felt the Biltstein shocks were less than desireable? Before we bought our Aspire 40DRQ we had a National Dolphin (2002) 5355 on the W-22 chassis and added Koni shocks to it. It made a HUGE difference to our ride quality by eliminating porpoising and other poor ride conditions. Our Entegra's ride, while a big upgrade from our W-22 chassis, still has porpoising and is somewhat sensitive to pavement strips. I've read some reports that even on DPs, upgrading to Koni shocks makes a big difference. We're on the standard Mountain Master chassis for our 2012 Aspire.

I'm assuming the shock choice was Spartan's, not Entegra's...
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

There are a number of threads here exhaulting the improvement in ride with Konis on the MM and K2 chassis'. Spartan has been quite helpful with this issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Thanks. Yes, I agree there seem to be many positive reports on this. I've yet to see anyone with an Entegra doing this. With so many Entegra tags out there perhaps not many people have complained about the ride (?).

I'm wondering/hoping if Spartan might consider swapping out my Biltsteins for Konis since I'm well within the warranty period on the chassis...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

My guess is they will swap them out for you. Call Chris at Spartan Customer Service and discuss it with him.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll give him a call.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

Will do... As much as I love the Entegra ride, I'm convinced the Konis would improve it. It was night and day on the W-22. From what I've read it's also significant with the Spartan chassis.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Tiffin owners with Spartan chassis have done the same with exellent results. There should be no reason that it won't work on an Entegra. Spartan is Spartan regardless of the box on top of it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #9

Thanks! I'm psyched to try it.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #10

Here's an update... We had our coach at Spartan yesterday in hopes of swapping shocks and just a general checkup. Because our chassis is the MM with a straight axle, we ended up being told they did not have the correct Konis for our rig. Surprisingly they also would not commit to doing a shock swap for free labor. Given the reports I've read on here I was surprised. Chris said they have changed their policy regarding the labor (turns out it did not matter since they did not have the shocks!). At first Chris was skeptical about our claims of excessive porpoising but after a test ride he changed his mind. He was most surprised by the inability of the coach to dampen out quickly after the porpoising motion starts.

The next surprise is that Koni apparently does not make an adjustable shock for our front axle (straight axle MM). They DO make the FSDs though but I'm having trouble finding any ride reports on the FSDs. I spoke to Dick at Precision Frame who told me the FSDs should work great on our chassis... We leave on a big trip in a week and are hoping to get the Konis on the coach before then... It looks like we have to hope for the best with the FSDs and find someone locally to put them on at a fair price. CW's price was a JOKE! $121/hour labor plus added fees to remove the Bilsteins on the front!

If anyone reads this and has experience with Koni FSDs (non-adjustable) on the front axle of a Spartan MM chassis please let me know how they worked out.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
Here's an update... We had our coach at Spartan yesterday in hopes of swapping shocks and just a general checkup. Because our chassis is the MM with a straight axle, we ended up being told they did not have the correct Konis for our rig. Surprisingly they also would not commit to doing a shock swap for free labor. Given the reports I've read on here I was surprised. Chris said they have changed their policy regarding the labor (turns out it did not matter since they did not have the shocks!). At first Chris was skeptical about our claims of excessive porpoising but after a test ride he changed his mind. He was most surprised by the inability of the coach to dampen out quickly after the porpoising motion starts.

The next surprise is that Koni apparently does not make an adjustable shock for our front axle (straight axle MM). They DO make the FSDs though but I'm having trouble finding any ride reports on the FSDs. I spoke to Dick at Precision Frame who told me the FSDs should work great on our chassis... We leave on a big trip in a week and are hoping to get the Konis on the coach before then... It looks like we have to hope for the best with the FSDs and find someone locally to put them on at a fair price. CW's price was a JOKE! $121/hour labor plus added fees to remove the Bilsteins on the front!

If anyone reads this and has experience with Koni FSDs (non-adjustable) on the front axle of a Spartan MM chassis please let me know how they worked out.
I have a 2007 TS Alante. I contacted Koni and they suggested the adjustable in the front and FSD in the rear and the tag. I put adjustable in front and my porpoising is gone and the pavement joints are reduced substantially. I love them.
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Thanks. Koni apparently does not make adjustables for the front axle of my MM chassis with an I-beam.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #13

SHOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer View Post
yes, tiffin owners with spartan chassis have done the same with exellent results. There should be no reason that it won't work on an entegra. Spartan is spartan regardless of the box on top of it.
when you tested the 2013 cornerstone, did you think the koni shocks would have made a difference?
KKRONOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks