Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Kudos to Girard Awnings

I want to share a great experience we recently had at Girard facility in San Clemente, Ca. I had called to see if adjusting my back awning to be level with the front one was a "do it yourself" project. Jason called me back, explained the procedure while emailing me the manual and then suggested that since they were only 90 minutes from my campground, that I bring the coach in and they'd do the work anf check both awnings and motion sensors! So, enroute to Joshua Tree KOA we dropped by Girard.

I won't bore you with the details but it was way more that just adjusting. Chuck the service Mgr, his tech Steve and Jason worked together to fix the back awning (it was way more than adjusting it), fixed loose motion sensor on back awning and discovered forward awning motion sensor was wired wrong and redid wiring!

These guys were amazing! They explained everything they found, what they were going to do to correct the problem and then they did it. They were personable, professional, and very customer oriented.

Girard has a tremendous team ready to help! Jason, Chuck and Steve have earning my utmost respect and eternal thanks for a job well done!

Would you believe when I put out the awning in Joshua Tree KOA the wind came up while we were inside and BOTH awnings automatically retracted!
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had an experience with them on my classic about 3 years ago. Awnings were out wind sensor didn't pull them in and the large one ended up on my roof. Since then I am very cautious about when I open them. I also went to Girard and set across from the president who told me the issue I had was just a freak of nature

2 weeks later a service bulletin came in the mail that said there are faulty wind sensors that won't let the awnings come in

Girard did not tell me that when I was there and they completely denied the issue was due to faulty sensors

I love the awnings but would not trust them

Jmho
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Personally, the Girard awnings are the most disappointing major component on my coach. Can't use them in wind or rain. Both of mine are currently disabled.

The rear awning failed when the forward corner of the leading edge stuck in the housing while the rear corner came out. At least one arm is bent and the trim piece that runs the length of the awning (and "closes" the housing when the awning is retracted) is bowed.

In our front awning the cord in the channel that keeps the centering rod in place broke, so to extend and retract this awning I have to get on a ladder and move the rod into position while the awning is moving in or out.

Both of our awnings have been deployed well under 100 times so the failures aren't from usage, just poor design and poor build quality.

BTW, when I called Girard tech support about the cord breaking the tech said it could be from lack of lubrication. I said I didn't know we are supposed to lube the awning and heard back from him "it's called maintenance". So on top of a junk product, I'm not impressed with their attitude.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
BTW, when I called Girard tech support about the cord breaking the tech said it could be from lack of lubrication. I said I didn't know we are supposed to lube the awning and heard back from him "it's called maintenance". So on top of a junk product, I'm not impressed with their attitude.
Is lubing the cable in the awning owners manual?
I have the Carefree Apex awnings which are a forerunner of the Girard. My manuals says nothing about the cables needing lubing, in fact they don't show or mention any cables so it must be something added later.
It does warn about wind or rain damage and to retract the awnings if you're going to be gone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Is lubing the cable in the awning owners manual?
I have the Carefree Apex awnings which are a forerunner of the Girard. My manuals says nothing about the cables needing lubing, in fact they don't show or mention any cables so it must be something added later.
It does warn about wind or rain damage and to retract the awnings if you're going to be gone.
There is no PM information in the Girard manual. There is a procedure for how to re-string the cord in the crossbar if it breaks and that was discussed in an earlier thread. My contention is that it shouldn't break, probably ever, but certainly not after light usage. I doubt any lubrication would have prevented the break.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #6

My experience with Girard has been the same. Once spent nearly two hours on the phone fixing a problem created by a dealer. Great customer service!
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
If only great customer service made up for a lousy product. It doesn't.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #8

Just took delivery of 2018 Anthem and the rear awing is 12 inches or more below front. I tried to adjust but didn't make a difference. Will put that on the list for NIRVC
Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Last week prior to embarking on a long trip, I did a intensive check of my Girard awnings. I discovered extreme wear at the elbow connections on both the front & rear awning arms even though each awning had little use during the last 4 years. I took pictures and sent the pics to Chuck Singleton at Girard. Long story short---Girard is sending me new redesigned awning arms for both front and rear under warranty. I will have to pay for shipping to me and labor for the repair locally. I just made the 5 year warranty rule for my 2013 Anthem DEQ. Whew !!
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

I don't know what the exact criteria is for the Girard awnings for the 5 year warranty for replacement of parts. However you might contact Chuck Singleton at Girard phone 949-259-4000 for clarification. On this post, others have good experience with the Girard California location.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #11

The more I read about these 'high-end' Girard awnings, the more my awnings seem positively ... carefree!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Geez! Last time I post a nice thing about an experience I had. It only draws the negativity out of forum posters.

Maybe next time I'll pretend I had crappy service and see what happens

Originally I naively thought that it was well worth posting about my great experience, not to draw positive posts but to compliment Girard people who helped me! All you Moriarity's. Hope you have a better day tomorrow!
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:43 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taj View Post
Geez! Last time I post a nice thing about an experience I had. It only draws the negativity out of forum posters.

Maybe next time I'll pretend I had crappy service and see what happens

Originally I naively thought that it was well worth posting about my great experience, not to draw positive posts but to compliment Girard people who helped me! All you Moriarity's. Hope you have a better day tomorrow!
Rick, you're right and I apologize. I should have started my own thread, not taken yours in a different direction.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 08-18-2017, 04:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Girard Service

Hi Rick,

I have to agree with you on the Girard Service experience. I was hesitant to postt with the negativity, but here goes. I had Tech Support on the phone with me for over an hour to resolve an issue I had. In addition, I had a phone call on a Sunday to say someone would be in touch the first thing on Monday to assist me. That is great service in my book.

Fred w/ SOB
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning