Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

KY Bourbon Trail

Good morning all,
I am headed down to KY in October to check out some of the KY Bourbon Tour. Of most interest is the Makers Mark tour. Can anyone give me suggestions for a good RV Park?
Thanks in advance!
RVsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Makers Mark RV Park

There is only one rv park in Bardstown that we are aware of. It's White Acres on the West side of town. Nice park, trees and quiet. Light on amenities but very nice staff and close to lots of sight seeing!

Cheers! John
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
There are a couple of campgrounds in the Elizabethtown area. It is a little ways away, but we used one of the campgrounds as a base when we did part of the Bourbon Trail.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were in the area in mid July. Stayed at Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown. Nice, newer park. Road coming in to park is a short 1/2 mile or so but very narrow; barely enough room to pass another vehicle so use caution. Full hookup pull through site right across from the pool and bathhouse/laundry. All gravel sites, most of the pull through's were pretty level but some of the others in back of park were very out of level. Premium sites had concrete patios and were also very level. They were near the road but there wasn't much traffic.
It was very dry when we were there so it was very dusty as all the roads are gravel. Overall a decent place to spend a few days in the area. We choose it as it was between the places we wanted to visit; Arc Encounter to the north and Wild Turkey and Woodford Reserve to the south which were all a 30 minute of so drive.

Very nice area and worth a visit. Lots of horse things to see and do in the area as well. If you have specific questions let me know.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

We have stayed several times at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. Big lots with 50 amp and water. The only draw back is no sewer but we only stay a max of 3 days so that's not an issue with us. But it's about an hour drive to Loretta but very nice scenery.
A fellow Ambassador.
Neighbors08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
For the Lexington area I second the recommendation for the KY Horse Park CG. South of Louisville I would stay in Shepherdsville at the Louisville South KOA. Very close to Jim Beam and othe distilleries in Louisville. Not a bad drive to Makers.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We stayed at a White Acres camp ground in April. As stated above, very light on amenities, but long level sites w full hookups. We took the Makers Mark VIP tour...definitely worth the extra money. It was a smaller group, saw more of the distillery, tasting & two MM glasses included.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

KY Horse Park campground can be nice, but it's laid out as all back-in at almost a 90 degree angle to the loop roads and actual paved lengths aren't really great for a 45 footer plus toad (which I assume this Entegra is). It also gets VERY crowded during horse shows at the horse park itself. with loose dogs, zooming golf carts, and extra vehicles everywhere so check the park calendar first.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Can't help you on a campground, we didn't own a camper when we were there a few years ago, but if you are in the Georgetown area, the Buffalo Trace Distillery was a fun and interesting tour. If I'm not mistaken, one of the oldest Distillleries around. Check it out if you have time.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Bourbon Trail

Not sure how long you will be in area, White Acres is a good local owned campground and close to Haven Hill Distillery, not real far from Makers Mark, there are smaller Distillery in the Bardstown area, also a Bourbon Musem, In Frankfort is Buffalo Trace Distillery, they have several tours and there is a good campground in Frankfort, Forks of the Elkhorn.

Lexington has the Pepper Distillery, a good campground is KY Horse Park, there is also four Roses Distillery in the Tyrone area, there are many small batch Distillerys in the bourbon trail area. We have stayed in the campgrounds that I have mentioned and have been satisfied. I prefer the Buffalo Trace tours, they continued to bottle bourbon during probation, you with a dr script could purchase 1 bottle a month, most distillerys were shut down during that era. Almost forgot Woodford Reserve is in the Frankfort area.

Hope you enjoy your visit, I am sure you will want to come back.
maych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

Make sure you visit “Willet” distillery. It’s now my favorite after we toured.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Warning warning warning

Avoid Buffalo Trace Distillery at all cost!

Otherwise plan on a lifetime of visiting liquor store after liquor store trying to find the rare bottle. Some stores limit your purchase if they have any at all!

I visited when we went to the 142nd Kentucky Derby with Fantasy Tours.

Now
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
And don't forget to visit a cooperage (barrel maker) while in the area. The barrels have a huge impact on the end product and learning about this old world art is fascinating. Independent Stave Co in Lebanon gives free tours.

We have several blog posts on the bourbon trail including some campground reviews in the area.

Search Results for “Cooperage” – My Quantum Discovery

The Best of the Bourbon Trail – My Quantum Discovery
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #14

May not be what you want to do, but Makers Mark & Buffalo Trace both have parking lots big enough where you could park your coach & tow while taking the tour.

As previous post says, once you go to Buffalo Trace, you'll be on scavenger hunt for the rest of your trips. Although I find searching for bottles of Weller to be a fun hobby as we travel.

Lastly, whatever you plan, be sure to stop by Barton's Distillery. That's where the barrel crash was last month, but more importantly their "Very Old Barton" is an inexpensive bottle that I put on the same level as Makers & Weller.

And I'm a "lifetime" Ambassador too.

Cheers....
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote