Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
La Porte/Kemah, TX Area RV Parks and route

We are planning our first potential trip in right at a year which will also be a little less than 4 weeks after my next surgery.

We have a family event at a Kemah, TX the first weekend of May. Others in the family will be staying in the La Porte area. So first question is recommended RV parks near either.

We will be coming from Niederwald, TX so ask for a recommended route also. Robin lived in Houston years ago and our youngest son went to med school on Houston. We can’t imagine driving the coach in that congestion, especially after not being out in it for a year. (I will post a PIREP to warn others when we get near Houston.)

Thanks in advance!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #2

Do a search for Marina Bay RV Resort.

We haven’t been there but it’s close to Kemah and not far from LaPorte.

IMHO, I’d drop down to I-10 and get on BW-8 (assuming you have an EZTag) follow BW-8 around to I-45S and you’re pretty close.

There isn’t much variety route wise, I’d simply avoid downtown and skirt the city as much as possible.

Timing matters too.. I’d aim to drive around Houston between 0900-1300 to avoid the worst traffic.

One thing to consider when thinking about the proximity to your surgery. Are you going to be on painkillers which might impair judgement? Are you going to stress any incisions that might be healing?

Depending upon your assessment of these issues, it might be prudent to simply drive and stay in a nice hotel on the water in Kemah.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We are planning our first potential trip in right at a year which will also be a little less than 4 weeks after my next surgery.

We have a family event at a Kemah, TX the first weekend of May. Others in the family will be staying in the La Porte area. So first question is recommended RV parks near either.

We will be coming from Niederwald, TX so ask for a recommended route also. Robin lived in Houston years ago and our youngest son went to med school on Houston. We can’t imagine driving the coach in that congestion, especially after not being out in it for a year. (I will post a PIREP to warn others when we get near Houston.)

Thanks in advance!
I live in the area so I have not stayed at any local parks but here are a couple new ones that look pretty nice not too far from Kemah....
USA RV Resorts Willow Lake
USA RV Resorts Lake Cove
USA RV Resorts Marina Bay
USA RV Resorts Houston
I AM NOT a USA Rv spokesperson but those parks are newer and look good. I would be cautious about some of the parks off FM 146 near or in San Leon.

As for route, take I-10 to Beltway 8 and go south on Beltway 8 around to 45 South which takes you toward NASA Rd 1 direction and Galveston direction. Expect traffic no matter what but middle of the day is your best bet.
(KEEP IN MIND that the overpass at 45 and FM 646 is under major construction, that is 1 exit passed one of the RV Parks I suggested.)

Good luck! Safe travels!
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

I have stayed at Marina Bay a number of times in the past. It looks like USA RV has bought a lot of the camp grounds in the area. Marian Bay is close to 146 and is good road to get to LaPorte

As Matt says take I-10 to Beltway 8 Beltway 8 is a toll road. If you have any of the tags in Texas it will work on Beltway 8. You can also pay at the toll booths. You will go thru I believe 3, maybe 4 toll booths. There are a few sections of BW8 that are under construction and are a little tight for a coach but by the time you have driven from your home you will be OK. There is also some construction on I45 once you get on it but when I drove down there a few months ago in my coach I do not remember doing a AaaaS&%$#@
Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
One thing to consider when thinking about the proximity to your surgery. Are you going to be on painkillers which might impair judgement? Are you going to stress any incisions that might be healing?

Matt,

Thanks for the info and the conscientious advice. I wouldn’t consider driving anything, let alone the coach, while taking painkillers. I’m having my right knee replaced so the concern will be whether or not I feel my right (brake) leg is mobile enough to properly react to an emergency. From others’ experience I doubt it will be.

But now I have some great info on navigating Houston! Thanks to all that responded!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote