RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Ladders ?

A good point was brought up be Dave on another post. Not wanting to hijack that post I thought I would ask the question hear.

What ladders are you using on your Entegras that allows comfortable access to the roof and being able to get back down comfortably? I don't want to carry a heavy scaffolding type ladder if I don't have to. I do wash and mop & glo my roof so I am up there frequently.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
As indicated,I bought one of the Warner series of collapsible step ladders that also subs as a straight ladder when I need to get on the roof. Mine collapses to 5' X 1.5' X 6" and weighs about 30 lbs. It is bulky, but sturdy when I go to the roof. The on TV version of same has easier latches, but costs $300+. Mine cost about $200 at Home Depot. If you go that route, make sure you look closely at the extended length, so you can get on top. Works very well as 12 foot step ladder for washing coach sides.

Others have gotten the telescoping ladder. Takes a lot less room, costs the same or more. I don't think it would work as well washing the coach sides, but that is just my opinion...not my experience. Last, again JMHO, it does't look as stable.

You can go OEM and add a ladder to back; some have reported that the holes for the attachment are ID'd. Not sure the # of times on the roof justifies the cost. Doesn't help with washing. Have no idea what the cost is.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
7' fiber glass fits nicely in the bay and is stable to work off and won't mar anything unless you're really careless with it.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Dave,
I have the rear ladder on my TS and not sure if I want to give that up and may have one installed on the Anthem. I don't use a ladder for washing as I use an RV brush on an extension handle that works great for washing the MH. That is why I wanted to get a feel for what others were using and if the 12.5 foot collapsible ladders were tall enough for comfortably getting on and off the roof.

I was wondering if others were using this type of ladder and how it works.
Amazon.com: Portable 12.5' Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder: Home & Kitchen
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a convertable step/extension ladder from Sears that my Dad bought (he died in 1995 and I got the ladder, among other things) It is about 14 feet long extended (just long enough that the 3rd rung from the top is even with the roof line)

If I were recommending (Since I have never seen this one in stores, NOTE: I have looked in Sears) I would recommend the Little Giant.

NOTE, that I am over 300 pounds so I need a absolute minimum of 250 pound rating on the ladder I think the one I have is rated 275 without looking.

Also, If you have not had ladder safety training, Learn the proper way to set a ladder up.. I've seen them done many ways wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Do Entegra owners not get on their roofs? It looks like Dave and I might be the only ones.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #7

Not Entegra but I use one of these:

Werner 13 ft. Aluminum Telescoping Multi Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating-MT-13 at The Home Depot

I don't use it all the time (sometimes I just use the coach attached ladder). I use the Werner when doing repetitive roof tasks. It's not long enough to use for roof access by itself but I use it in conjunction with the attached ladder (leaned against the attached ladder so I can use the "loops" that are above the roof). I'm not a full-timer so I store it at home and bring it to the RV along with other tools when needed. I carry this onboard for chores like window washing, recaulking, awning maintenance, etc.

Werner 4 ft. Fiberglass Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating-NXT1A04 at The Home Depot
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Chuck,

Last week I bought the Werner MT-17 Telescoping Multi ladder from Lowe's for $159.00 plus tax.

MT-17 17' Type IA Telescoping MultiLadder

Shop Werner 17-ft Aluminum Multi-Position Ladder at Lowes.com

I got the 17' foot version as my Country Coach does not have a rear ladder and is 13'2" tall. I would rather have a few extra rungs above the coach to step onto the roof instead of sliding onto the roof over the top of a 13' ladder. It does fold up and store in the basement.

I also gave the "Telesteps" (model 1800) Telescoping ladder a closer look but the Werner won out

Chuck & Dawn
05 Country Coach
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Do Entegra owners not get on their roofs? It looks like Dave and I might be the only ones.

I do I do. I like having a ladder installed on the unit. I don't think it looks bad at all.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
I do I do. I like having a ladder installed on the unit. I don't think it looks bad at all.

JJ
I agree, I have the ladder on the TS and I am trying to decide if I will miss it or not. So far it sounds like I will without having to carry a large fold up ladder that takes up a lot of storage space. I will make a stop at Lowes and look at the ladder that has been suggested to see how much space it does take.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I agree, I have the ladder on the TS and I am trying to decide if I will miss it or not. So far it sounds like I will without having to carry a large fold up ladder that takes up a lot of storage space. I will make a stop at Lowes and look at the ladder that has been suggested to see how much space it does take.
Pretty much fills a compartment ... you can fit some small stuff on top of it depending on whether you have any shrouds covering plumbing etc.

My guess is, manufacturing wise, they have figured out us older folks don't go on the roof that much and the ladder is now optional. Also, as the vehicles got taller, and we added more A/C units and solar panels, roof storage really isn't in the mix.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #12

I took my ladder off!

It seemed dangerous being a fixture that was installed in 1990! And I found it easer to fixe leaks on roof with out it and the unused luggage rack.

With that done I find it easy to pull up to any one with a latter and ask to borrow it. But that is just me!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Ladder

My better half bought me a "Little Giant" as a fathers day gift. It is easy to adjust, and the sturdiest ladder I have ever used. It folds up quite compact, and the accessory work platform makes working on the upper side of the RV very comfortable. Although a little pricy, she reasoned that it was less than a visit to the ER.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

NO, I do NOT get on the roof! I have no business being up there. JMHO