Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Teach the wife how to drive and how everything works on the coach in case something happens to you.

Jon
Wish it was that easy. Wife REFUSES to lean anything outside. I've asked her what she's going to do if something happens to me, she says "sell the MH"! It would be nice to ride and see the scenery when we do get to travel, which isn't very often!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wish it was that easy. Wife REFUSES to lean anything outside. I've asked her what she's going to do if something happens to me, she says "sell the MH"! It would be nice to ride and see the scenery when we do get to travel, which isn't very often!
Our wife's must have read the same book.
Exactly the same answer. I get sick or die and selling the MH is day one.
Oh she enjoys the trips, packs and plans the meals and shopping trips where ever we go but getting her behind the wheel and stepping on the pedals.....that's another story.
I die and my body won't be cold before the transfer papers are signed.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #31

Instead of selling the mh mine would find another driver. She's not done traveling yet!!! Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Even though I do occasionally drive ours, it isn't comfortable. Even with the seat all the way forward, I still have to put a couch pillow behind my back & that's just to get my toes on the pedals. I've sat in many other coaches at RV shows & they're all the same for me.

Why can't these mfr's realize some of us are "height challenged" & make the seats more adjustable, both forward/back as well as up/down? I brought this up at the last FMA nat'l rally I attended & fully intend to follow up at next year's nat'l seeing as FW hasn't accommodated my request yet.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Even though I do occasionally drive ours, it isn't comfortable. Even with the seat all the way forward, I still have to put a couch pillow behind my back & that's just to get my toes on the pedals. I've sat in many other coacheshandled at RV shows & they're all the same for me.

Why can't these mfr's realize some of us are "height challenged" & make the seats more adjustable, both forward/back as well as up/down? I brought this up at the last FMA nat'l rally I attended & fully intend to follow up at next year's nat'l seeing as FW hasn't accommodated my request yet.

L-
We are "newbies" this year, and while John does have his Class B NCDL, I only have my learner's permit. I have test driven it, and Robin of Orlando RVOne also took us for a practise drive when we picked it up. I was really surprised at how well it handled, how easy it was. It is winterized and in storage for now, but I hope to be putting in some miles when we take off for Florida end of Jan. I think that the pedals adjust forward for we "height challenged" people!
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carol drove the last coach but hasn't mustered the courage to drive this one yet. I want her to so that if I need the help she can.

Problem is I can't stand the screaming! Seriously! On two lane roads each time she meets a truck she screams! Same thing is she has to pass one or one passes us, even on the Interstate!

The other thing is she's always crowding the shoulder! I keep telling her that the center line is her friend, but she doesn't hear me over her screaming. I worry that she'll hit a soft shoulder and disaster will strike.

I love her to pieces but she scares me behind the wheel.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Carol drove the last coach but hasn't mustered the courage to drive this one yet. I want her to so that if I need the help she can.

Problem is I can't stand the screaming! Seriously! On two lane roads each time she meets a truck she screams! Same thing is she has to pass one or one passes us, even on the Interstate!

The other thing is she's always crowding the shoulder! I keep telling her that the center line is her friend, but she doesn't hear me over her screaming. I worry that she'll hit a soft shoulder and disaster will strike.

I've been told the "dot" system works for staying in the lane properly. Anyone out there got any info on that?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #36

Lori:

I did a couple of years driving transit after I retired from Boeing. Our fleet was almost all Gillig, and the adjustability of the driver's position on those coaches was amazing. If there are RVs with that kind of set-up, it would be a lot easier for "altitude-challenged" folks. My wife is a tad under 5', mainly short in the legs.

The Gilligs had a Recaro driver's seat. It was on an air-suspension base which was adjustable for height and fore-aft position. The seat itself had seat-back recline and seat base angle adjustment. This was complemented by a double-jointed steering column (one joint close to the floor and another one about 30" below the steering wheel). That top section of the column was adjustable for steering wheel height above the floor and for angle (from almost flat to about 50-degrees).

Just about anyone could get things adjusted to fit. Our group of drivers ranged from 6'8" and 275 pounds down to 5'2" and 120 pounds. Those at the extremes of the range couldn't drive our smaller E450-based mini-buses, but the Gillig 40-footers were no problem.

I could do an 8-hour shift in one of those with no discomfort. Two hours in our Georgetown and I get hamstring cramps. I can exercise them away in about 15 minutes, but they're back again an hour later and don't exercise away for a couple of hours. It limits our daily mileage to around 220. Even when headed home, it's still the same problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
I'm the only one who drives our RV. I took the time last year to get my Class B license to cover us in case of an accident. Hubby doesn't have his license to drive this. This arrangement suits him just fine. He reads, naps, brings me drinks, finds campgrounds and make reservations while on the road. I drive and do the inside stuff. He rides and does the outside stuff. Works for us.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

I dunno about the screaming but side-view cameras help a LOT with "coloring between the lines". Pricey, and ours are OEM rather than aftermarket so I don't know the quality of the aftermarket ones, but perhaps better than driving onto a soft shoulder!

cheers
tilliejacque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver