RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

I know I don't have an Entegra but a Discovery and the same should apply. It should really be a non issue if you are used to launching with a truck, a small little jetski type trailer would be a whole different story though. I've been doing it for years, first with a 36' gas MH and now a 40' Discovery. I would say with a gas MH you have the luxury of being able to back down deeper without the rear wheels being in the water but that about the only difference I've encountered. I'm pretty blessed with all the Launch ramps in California that I go to not having a steep drop off at the top which would probably cause me to bottom out. That's really the biggest worry, but in all my years(15) of launching with my MH it has been a non issue.

Like other have mentioned boaters will usually help there fellow boaters out and I sometimes get someone with a truck to pull me out a day early so I don't have to deal with it before leaving home, a few beer's usually does the trick.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So this was in the 90s. Guy backed up too far putting his boat in the water on a lake up in the Adirondaks. We pulled him out with our old Winnie Chieftain. He was oddly un-appreciative: embarrassed I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2234_51676953698_1797_n.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	174309  

Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #17

I came across this video when I was deciding what the odds were that we would put our RV at the bottom of a lake.

I want one of these so bad. If I win the lottery Im getting one just so people can watch and scratch their head after we launch into the water. haha

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #18

Launch a boat with a 42 - 45' $300,000 plus diesel coach? Are you nuts? You couldn't even turn around in most of the public launches I've been at. Good luck.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #19

My experience is that at least 50% of the launch ramps I have used require 4 wheel drive to pull out of when they are wet - which is most of the time.

Even my small Jetski rig has problems at some ramps.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Launching with our MH's used to be quite common when we were running in the range of 36' MH's. Ramp slopes and widths are very important as sometimes it could be a long backup to get to the water. This is a pic of our 36' Pace with a 25' Sea Ray attached. No problem.

I wouldn't want to do it now with the 42' Aspire and my Sea Ray as I would just be asking for problems. Like mentioned, the price of a 6 pack is the way to go. However,an 18 or 20' bass boat I might give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1691.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	174347  
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Many years ago I worked for the Sheriff's Department, River Patrol. Certain times on the weekend when I needed a break I would park at a boat ramp and watch the festivities. I have observed the beginning of many divorces at a boat ramp either by backing down the ramp or watching the loading of a boat on a trailer. This adds a new chapter of entertainment. I consider myself fairly accomplished at boat and trailer handling and I do not think backing down the ramp with your class A is a good idea, just my opinion.
RMatusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #22

I launched our 23' boat with our truck and 11.5' camper many times starting in the early 80s. There were a few times where 4wd was needed, but not generally. With only 2wd in a MH that could be a problem, but I would think that could be identified as a problem before trying to launch.

If it were me, I would find a large open space and practice backing the MH with the boat attached to see how comfortable you were with that. Then find a boat ramp with a gentle slope and try it. Then you will know for certain.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #23

I have no problems launching my fishing boat. The procedure is:
1- Remove boat from basement storage.
2- Inflate
3 - Paddle to the middle of the lake.
=o)
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If you lengthen the trailer tongue, you alleviate backing your mh into the water. You still gotta have the umph to pull the boat and trailer and a few thousand gallons of water outta the lake. I'd do the six pack plan.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatusick View Post
Many years ago I worked for the Sheriff's Department, River Patrol. Certain times on the weekend when I needed a break I would park at a boat ramp and watch the festivities. I have observed the beginning of many divorces at a boat ramp either by backing down the ramp or watching the loading of a boat on a trailer. This adds a new chapter of entertainment. I consider myself fairly accomplished at boat and trailer handling and I do not think backing down the ramp with your class A is a good idea, just my opinion.
I've sat near ramps many times and enjoyed the festivities, sometimes left with my sides hurting from laughing so hard! What never ceases to amaze me is the language you would not expect from ordinary people just trying to launch a boat!

I watched a couple pulling a bass boat out with a 36' Winnebago. Husband backed the trailer in the water, walked over to the dock, got in the boat and got it on the trailer. After securing the boat winch he waved at his wife and told her to go ahead, HUGE mistake!!! Wife put the MH in reverse and floored it, she backed so far down in the water it killed the engine! It took two full size trucks with 4wd to get the coach out of the water, didn't think it was ever going to quit draining, water was in the overhead cabinets in the bedroom!!! Never heard a man cuss his wife that much before, think I felt sorriest for her!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #26

Lmao
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAscubaDude View Post
I have no problems launching my fishing boat. The procedure is:
1- Remove boat from basement storage.
2- Inflate
3 - Paddle to the middle of the lake.
=o)
Ive been looking at inflatables what one do you have? I have a 22ft pontoon fishing boat. Great when we had the kids at home. Its not been getting used much because launching with a truck is a real party, no way am I trying to get that thing back on the trailer on the back of an motorhome lol.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Two Class c's and on 30 ft A launched boats up to 20 feet. A very heavy Ranger Bass boat was the last one. No problem with traction.

A couple of 4x4's under the rear tires and someone in the drivers seat made it easy and safe. I used to launch and retrieve that boat with our Class C by myself. No I never put a tow hitch on the front.

I would not do it with the 40 foot DP just because the ramps I used were too tight to make turns around trees.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote