Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Launching a boat

Does anyone regularly pull a boat with their motorhome in place of a toad? I want to pull a ski boat. Earlier in the summer I rented a uhaul pickup truck but that turned into a massive headache just to take the boat from RV park to a dock a few miles away. I'm also really nervous that I'll test out the buoyancy of a entegra motorhome.
rsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a photo of a Class A whose owner backed it up just a bit too far when putting his boat in the water. Entire rear including back basements were submerged.

So, if you do this, be aware of the potential issues and double check your ramp drop off angle :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have launched several boats at ramps with my pickup for MH' s towing boats. A free beer is always nice. Would that work at your ramp?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Let's see. Beer and launching a boat, can't think of a thing that would go wrong.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Pulled my Boston Whaler to Flordia behind out Class C.

Launching the boat was a new experience. Wife on one side and my dad on the other and neither giving good direction. I ultimately was able to back the boat into the water almost jack knifing and straddling the dock but I got it done.

Never again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Let's see. Beer and launching a boat, can't think of a thing that would go wrong.
Didn't say anything about during, did I ? I guess those that never spent summers on a lake beach camping would understand. It's about helping others. Asking around in a lake camping area, it is not hard to find someone that will launch a boat for someone.

Someone pulls in with a MH towing a boat, it's something I would offer to put their boat in for them. If they brought a beer by later to say thank you, it was never turned down.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use to tow a 20' Mirage behind a 40'er we had in the late 90s, we were 65' long from front bumper to outdrive, and now I occasionally tow the dinghy for our big boat which is a 14' Zodiac with a 60 horse with our current 40' coach and find both were easier to back with the long wheelbase over towing with my truck or suv.
kwanwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #8

Yay! someone finally asked the question Ive been dying to know.

I figured it was a bad idea with our boat since getting the boat on our trailer is such a huge pita the whole thing needs to be in the water and there is no shoving the boat forward. Used to launch with my minivan that was fun.

Been thinking about selling the party/fishing boat and getting an aluminum boat or similar. How would all that work out with a class A. I suppose we could just carry it off the trailer lol
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #9

A lot depends on your trailer and the ramp. I have launched plenty of boats with a motor home. Some you may have to winch back on the trailer if the ramp is a very shallow angle Really no different just be aware of conditions before backing down the ramp
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

All the ramps around here would high center an Entegra. A slick ramp frame grounded would make a long day.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #11

Did it with my class c for years but not sure I would do It with my cuttent class a.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #12

I mounted a front receiver hitch on my Sportscoach. Unhook boat from rear hitch, turn around and hook up to the front then push boat to the water, much easier than trying to back in, much better control. If you chose to go this route on the Entegra you would most likely need a custom hitch. The hitch doesn't need the same strength since you aren't pulling on the highway.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #13

I think that problem number one would be getting the Entegra over the cap of the ramp. Those sudden down slopes are not easy for a coach without air ride to deal with. It is possible that the Hadley air system on a Cornerstone might be sufficient to make it over the top change from horizontal to ramp angle, but I would be worried about anything else.

I think the suggestion of asking some other kind soul to put the boat in the water and retrieve it, makes the most sense...... I cant see that 45 footer sitting at the waterline..... not a picture that sits well in my mind.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
I mounted a front receiver hitch on my Sportscoach. Unhook boat from rear hitch, turn around and hook up to the front then push boat to the water, much easier than trying to back in, much better control. If you chose to go this route on the Entegra you would most likely need a custom hitch. The hitch doesn't need the same strength since you aren't pulling on the highway.
That would not be feasible on an Entegra. The front end is all fiberglass, behind that is a very expensive generator, not to mention all of the coach wiring and modules. Wouldn't want that to hit the water launching a boat even with a custom hitch