Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Lazy Days Driver's confidence course

Just completed the Driver's confidence course put on by Lazy Days. Well worth taking. I actually think I will be "allowed" to drive our new shiny Entegra now. You can get the basic u tube videos to get the idea from BetterRVing - YouTube. But that doesn't let you actually park the rig. Take the class if you are close to Lazy Days. It's free. The dot system seems like a great idea and takes the guess work out of turns.

dianestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

We review those videos MULTIPLE times before we picked up our coach..We never did the actual driving course, though...
Learned a bunch, coming from a travel trailer

Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestew View Post
Just completed the Driver's confidence course put on by Lazy Days. Well worth taking. I actually think I will be "allowed" to drive our new shiny Entegra now. You can get the basic u tube videos to get the idea from BetterRVing - YouTube. But that doesn't let you actually park the rig. Take the class if you are close to Lazy Days. It's free. The dot system seems like a great idea and takes the guess work out of turns.
I gotta ask ... "the dot system"?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You can find the course content on line and as you go through the videos, Part 1 to 7, you'll find out what the dot system is...basically a group of point references you put on your coach mirrors and windows to help you drive and park.

By the way, for all, the Spartan RV Owners Course includes a driver confidence course in your coach and then continuation on the road.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanks Dave ...
Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

I highly recommend the the Lazy Days Driver's Training, we have taken it twice. (I am a fan of Lazy Days) I also recommend the Spartan Owners Safety Class, great on road training.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucho View Post
I highly recommend the the Lazy Days Driver's Training, we have taken it twice. (I am a fan of Lazy Days) I also recommend the Spartan Owners Safety Class, great on road training.
I'm curious - how many hours of classroom versus actual in the seat driving is included? What does the actual driving portion cover?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
I'm curious - how many hours of classroom versus actual in the seat driving is included? What does the actual driving portion cover?
We spent 9-11 in classroom work. Very informative even though we are on our third coach. The driving was also 2 hours but spread over 6 people and all done in the Lazy Days RV park so you could maneuver turns and such so very little driving. I ceded my time to others, but watched several drivers go through the paces.

As others noted we like the dot system and found the class to be well worth the time. It's free if you buy a coach and, I think, $49 for others.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
I gotta ask ... "the dot system"?
There is a five dot system that is taught by the course instructor Bob. My wife and I took the course on May 3, 2013. We had just gotten our Essex, our first DP, and this was our first outing in the MH as well.

There were so many "pearls" that we got in the class that it was VERY worthwhile. From the class we drove directly to Fort Wilderness and for the first time I was able to back into the site on the second attempt.

On our way home from Orlando my wife got in the drivers seat and drove 1/3 the way home. It just so happened that she was able to actually feel comfortable turning the coach when getting on and off of 1-75.

This weekend we went back to Lazy Days and upon leaving the Mrs. drove our MH along the course again with a lot more confidence. I used Bob's technique for backing up and got into our site on the first attempt.

I believe that the back to basic's approach that Bob has makes the class invaluable and I would highly recommend anyone in Florida or who purchases from Lazy Days to set aside a day for this course - you won't be sorry!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You can find the course content on line and as you go through the videos, Part 1 to 7, you'll find out what the dot system is...basically a group of point references you put on your coach mirrors and windows to help you drive and park.

By the way, for all, the Spartan RV Owners Course includes a driver confidence course in your coach and then continuation on the road.
Dave, now that you've been thru the Spartan drivers course, how would you compare it to the Lazydays course?

Have any Entegra owners out there been through the 8 hr course offered by the RV Driving School besides me?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Dave, now that you've been thru the Spartan drivers course, how would you compare it to the Lazydays course?

Have any Entegra owners out there been through the 8 hr course offered by the RV Driving School besides me?
Spartan Driving Instructor is a former law enforcement officer with great experience in CDL-based instruction. His course is focused more on the solo driver, situational awareness and safety, and defensive driving. His work on the driving course was geared to provide the individual driver, both pilot, and co-pilot the opportunity to work on negotiating a driving course and recognition of cues in your mirrors for turns, backing, and stopping...in your own coach.

Lazy Days course focuses on the "dot" approach formally marking similar cues, albeit different from the Spartan contract instructor.

I found some of the classroom portion of the Spartan driver training tedious, but others thought it on point and a good refresher. For myself, I preferred the Lazy Days, both classroom and driving. A marriage of the two courses would have been the best, for me.

I have no experience with the 8 hour driving course.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #12

Another vote for the LD course and the Dot system. The dots really help on turns and positioning the coach for backing into a spot. With a good partner and an understanding of the hand signals you can back a 36-40 footer into some pretty tight places on the first try. When backing into a site I don't even look at the back up camera, I watch my DW exclusively.
Well, the only time I didn't pay attention to DW I almost hit a tree followed by nearly hitting a post and putting a big rut in the campground lawn; very embarrassing.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Several years ago, I took the 8 hr class offered by the RV Drive School. www.rvschool.com. In my book, it was invaluable and has saved my bacon numerous times. What I found most valuable was that it was 8 hrs of instruction (split over two days) with me in the drivers seat of my coach. If you go to their website, you'll see the following list of items covered by their instructors.

Pre-trip Inspection
Mirrors - proper adjustment and use
Brakes - testing and safe use - Jake or Exhaust
Backing - how to back straight or into a RV site
Negotiating corners including “swing out”
Driving - in a city, on a freeway, or in mountains
Gas stations - which ones and protocol
Campground maneuvering
So you have a big vehicle - courtesies
Lane management - Staying in your lane
On and off ramps
Proper lane changing
How to properly go up hills
Safe braking down hills
Defensive driving
And more...

Campground maneuvering is definitely important but the most dangerous part of driving a 42' to 45' Entegra is what you do when on the road. How do you handle your speed up and down mountains, how far do you stay behind the guy in front, how to stay in your lane without using dots (which is easy by the way), merging, changing lanes, how to handle a blowout etc. Anyone can read about this stuff or have someone in a classroom talk about it, but personally I learn better by actually doing it myself.

Don't take me wrong here - I'm sure the LD classes are a good place to start but no one can convince me that those classes are better for me than actual experience for several hours, with an instructor, behind the wheel of my coach.

After spending more than $300k for my coach, the cost of these classes is insignificant when weighed against the benefit from hands on instruction.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Several years ago, I took the 8 hr class offered by the RV Drive School. www.rvschool.com. In my book, it was invaluable and has saved my bacon numerous times. What I found most valuable was that it was 8 hrs of instruction (split over two days) with me in the drivers seat of my coach. If you go to their website, you'll see the following list of items covered by their instructors.

Pre-trip Inspection
Mirrors - proper adjustment and use
Brakes - testing and safe use - Jake or Exhaust
Backing - how to back straight or into a RV site
Negotiating corners including “swing out”
Driving - in a city, on a freeway, or in mountains
Gas stations - which ones and protocol
Campground maneuvering
So you have a big vehicle - courtesies
Lane management - Staying in your lane
On and off ramps
Proper lane changing
How to properly go up hills
Safe braking down hills
Defensive driving
And more...

Campground maneuvering is definitely important but the most dangerous part of driving a 42' to 45' Entegra is what you do when on the road. How do you handle your speed up and down mountains, how far do you stay behind the guy in front, how to stay in your lane without using dots (which is easy by the way), merging, changing lanes, how to handle a blowout etc. Anyone can read about this stuff or have someone in a classroom talk about it, but personally I learn better by actually doing it myself.

Don't take me wrong here - I'm sure the LD classes are a good place to start but no one can convince me that those classes are better for me than actual experience for several hours, with an instructor, behind the wheel of my coach.

After spending more than $300k for my coach, the cost of these classes is insignificant when weighed against the benefit from hands on instruction.
Definitely agree, Tom...just haven't had the opportunity for the course you mention.