Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Member
 
dianestew's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 30
Lazy Days Driver's confidence course

Just completed the Driver's confidence course put on by Lazy Days. Well worth taking. I actually think I will be "allowed" to drive our new shiny Entegra now. You can get the basic u tube videos to get the idea from BetterRVing - YouTube. But that doesn't let you actually park the rig. Take the class if you are close to Lazy Days. It's free. The dot system seems like a great idea and takes the guess work out of turns.
__________________

__________________
Stew & Diane and Marco Polo, Labradoodle
2015 Cornerstone 45B, Ford Flex toad
Green Valley, AZ
dianestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 102
We review those videos MULTIPLE times before we picked up our coach..We never did the actual driving course, though...
Learned a bunch, coming from a travel trailer
__________________

__________________
Wayne/Cathy/Kaylee
4 feet 4 hands 4 paws
Former Entegra Aspire 2013
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestew View Post
Just completed the Driver's confidence course put on by Lazy Days. Well worth taking. I actually think I will be "allowed" to drive our new shiny Entegra now. You can get the basic u tube videos to get the idea from BetterRVing - YouTube. But that doesn't let you actually park the rig. Take the class if you are close to Lazy Days. It's free. The dot system seems like a great idea and takes the guess work out of turns.
I gotta ask ... "the dot system"?
__________________
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,207
Blog Entries: 2
You can find the course content on line and as you go through the videos, Part 1 to 7, you'll find out what the dot system is...basically a group of point references you put on your coach mirrors and windows to help you drive and park.

By the way, for all, the Spartan RV Owners Course includes a driver confidence course in your coach and then continuation on the road.
__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 167
Thanks Dave ...
__________________
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 19
I highly recommend the the Lazy Days Driver's Training, we have taken it twice. (I am a fan of Lazy Days) I also recommend the Spartan Owners Safety Class, great on road training.
__________________
Mucho
'12 Entegra Aspire RBQ
Mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tnrzryd's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucho View Post
I highly recommend the the Lazy Days Driver's Training, we have taken it twice. (I am a fan of Lazy Days) I also recommend the Spartan Owners Safety Class, great on road training.
I'm curious - how many hours of classroom versus actual in the seat driving is included? What does the actual driving portion cover?
__________________
Tom and Regina
2013 Entegra 44DLQ
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Saltydog44's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lenoir, NC
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
I'm curious - how many hours of classroom versus actual in the seat driving is included? What does the actual driving portion cover?
We spent 9-11 in classroom work. Very informative even though we are on our third coach. The driving was also 2 hours but spread over 6 people and all done in the Lazy Days RV park so you could maneuver turns and such so very little driving. I ceded my time to others, but watched several drivers go through the paces.

As others noted we like the dot system and found the class to be well worth the time. It's free if you buy a coach and, I think, $49 for others.
__________________
Cheryl, Emerson and Rascal (Attack Yorkie)
2018 Cornerstone 45Y
2015 Enclave
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Theluckys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
I gotta ask ... "the dot system"?
There is a five dot system that is taught by the course instructor Bob. My wife and I took the course on May 3, 2013. We had just gotten our Essex, our first DP, and this was our first outing in the MH as well.

There were so many "pearls" that we got in the class that it was VERY worthwhile. From the class we drove directly to Fort Wilderness and for the first time I was able to back into the site on the second attempt.

On our way home from Orlando my wife got in the drivers seat and drove 1/3 the way home. It just so happened that she was able to actually feel comfortable turning the coach when getting on and off of 1-75.

This weekend we went back to Lazy Days and upon leaving the Mrs. drove our MH along the course again with a lot more confidence. I used Bob's technique for backing up and got into our site on the first attempt.

I believe that the back to basic's approach that Bob has makes the class invaluable and I would highly recommend anyone in Florida or who purchases from Lazy Days to set aside a day for this course - you won't be sorry!
__________________
2006 Essex
Theluckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tnrzryd's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You can find the course content on line and as you go through the videos, Part 1 to 7, you'll find out what the dot system is...basically a group of point references you put on your coach mirrors and windows to help you drive and park.

By the way, for all, the Spartan RV Owners Course includes a driver confidence course in your coach and then continuation on the road.
Dave, now that you've been thru the Spartan drivers course, how would you compare it to the Lazydays course?

Have any Entegra owners out there been through the 8 hr course offered by the RV Driving School besides me?
__________________
Tom and Regina
2013 Entegra 44DLQ
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,207
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Dave, now that you've been thru the Spartan drivers course, how would you compare it to the Lazydays course?

Have any Entegra owners out there been through the 8 hr course offered by the RV Driving School besides me?
Spartan Driving Instructor is a former law enforcement officer with great experience in CDL-based instruction. His course is focused more on the solo driver, situational awareness and safety, and defensive driving. His work on the driving course was geared to provide the individual driver, both pilot, and co-pilot the opportunity to work on negotiating a driving course and recognition of cues in your mirrors for turns, backing, and stopping...in your own coach.

Lazy Days course focuses on the "dot" approach formally marking similar cues, albeit different from the Spartan contract instructor.

I found some of the classroom portion of the Spartan driver training tedious, but others thought it on point and a good refresher. For myself, I preferred the Lazy Days, both classroom and driving. A marriage of the two courses would have been the best, for me.

I have no experience with the 8 hour driving course.
__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,319
Another vote for the LD course and the Dot system. The dots really help on turns and positioning the coach for backing into a spot. With a good partner and an understanding of the hand signals you can back a 36-40 footer into some pretty tight places on the first try. When backing into a site I don't even look at the back up camera, I watch my DW exclusively.
Well, the only time I didn't pay attention to DW I almost hit a tree followed by nearly hitting a post and putting a big rut in the campground lawn; very embarrassing.
__________________
Paul, Kathy, and Tux the Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
tnrzryd's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,022
Several years ago, I took the 8 hr class offered by the RV Drive School. www.rvschool.com. In my book, it was invaluable and has saved my bacon numerous times. What I found most valuable was that it was 8 hrs of instruction (split over two days) with me in the drivers seat of my coach. If you go to their website, you'll see the following list of items covered by their instructors.

Pre-trip Inspection
Mirrors - proper adjustment and use
Brakes - testing and safe use - Jake or Exhaust
Backing - how to back straight or into a RV site
Negotiating corners including “swing out”
Driving - in a city, on a freeway, or in mountains
Gas stations - which ones and protocol
Campground maneuvering
So you have a big vehicle - courtesies
Lane management - Staying in your lane
On and off ramps
Proper lane changing
How to properly go up hills
Safe braking down hills
Defensive driving
And more...

Campground maneuvering is definitely important but the most dangerous part of driving a 42' to 45' Entegra is what you do when on the road. How do you handle your speed up and down mountains, how far do you stay behind the guy in front, how to stay in your lane without using dots (which is easy by the way), merging, changing lanes, how to handle a blowout etc. Anyone can read about this stuff or have someone in a classroom talk about it, but personally I learn better by actually doing it myself.

Don't take me wrong here - I'm sure the LD classes are a good place to start but no one can convince me that those classes are better for me than actual experience for several hours, with an instructor, behind the wheel of my coach.

After spending more than $300k for my coach, the cost of these classes is insignificant when weighed against the benefit from hands on instruction.
__________________
Tom and Regina
2013 Entegra 44DLQ
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,207
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Several years ago, I took the 8 hr class offered by the RV Drive School. www.rvschool.com. In my book, it was invaluable and has saved my bacon numerous times. What I found most valuable was that it was 8 hrs of instruction (split over two days) with me in the drivers seat of my coach. If you go to their website, you'll see the following list of items covered by their instructors.

Pre-trip Inspection
Mirrors - proper adjustment and use
Brakes - testing and safe use - Jake or Exhaust
Backing - how to back straight or into a RV site
Negotiating corners including “swing out”
Driving - in a city, on a freeway, or in mountains
Gas stations - which ones and protocol
Campground maneuvering
So you have a big vehicle - courtesies
Lane management - Staying in your lane
On and off ramps
Proper lane changing
How to properly go up hills
Safe braking down hills
Defensive driving
And more...

Campground maneuvering is definitely important but the most dangerous part of driving a 42' to 45' Entegra is what you do when on the road. How do you handle your speed up and down mountains, how far do you stay behind the guy in front, how to stay in your lane without using dots (which is easy by the way), merging, changing lanes, how to handle a blowout etc. Anyone can read about this stuff or have someone in a classroom talk about it, but personally I learn better by actually doing it myself.

Don't take me wrong here - I'm sure the LD classes are a good place to start but no one can convince me that those classes are better for me than actual experience for several hours, with an instructor, behind the wheel of my coach.

After spending more than $300k for my coach, the cost of these classes is insignificant when weighed against the benefit from hands on instruction.
Definitely agree, Tom...just haven't had the opportunity for the course you mention.
__________________

__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.