Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Lesson learned - Raising the jacks, leaving CG

My DW and I were in a campground for 2+ weeks. Our first time in the 2013 Aspire. I have been religious about jacks first up, then slides in. I noticed on my way out the paved campground the RV rode like a bucking horse. I stopped outside the CG to hookup the toad and top off the tires when I noticed the Entegra was a low rider. I mean the wheels cleared the frame by about 1 inch. That didn't seem right. I couldn't recall the body to wheel clearance but I figured any bump would cause the wheel to rub. I told DW something was wrong...hold the departure. I tried using the tag dump but no action at all. Help......called Entegra CS. P.J. in CS patiently explained to me...."you nitwit ( just kidding), when you break camp always start up the motor, hit the All Retract on the Jacks, then pull in the slides". Turns out I retracted the jacks with the ignition off. The ignition switch energizes the airbag valve which allows the bags to fill. Cycling the jacks off then on with the ignition caused them to air up. It's kinda weird, you want the motor off to extend the jacks and slides and you want it on to retract them. At least you should try to think of how the airbags work. I was lucky the first 6 months and always had enough air in the bags and never ran into flat airbags before. Go figure. Dumb mistake.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a dumb mistake. Just part of that learning curve. Glad no damage.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you ever ride any distance on the "stops" you'll never forget it.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
In our Anthem, I make a visual inspection before moving the coach to make sure the bags have inflated properly and there is wheel well clearance especially for the big 315s up front. There have been times that I thought it was aired up only to go outside and see that they were still filling. I also eyeball all the jacks to confirm they have retracted fully. ...and while I'm walking around the coach, I make sure to lookup to see that I left the awnings out!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
X2. With the following addition....checking the over air antenna (as we've spent a lot of time camping without cable availability.

I'd add that start the engine and fast idle, waiting for the air "pop off" in the rear before pulling in the levelers (don't trust the gauges completely). Pull them in. Get out and check that they are in (anal, I know, but that's the way it is). I then turn the engines off. Completely recheck the inside of the coach with DW prior to pulling in slides. Pull slides in.

Restart engine, again waiting for the pop off. Then exit, pull the on shore power and recheck the levelers are in and that I have tire clearance front and back.

That said, I need to develop a better arrival approach for getting into the campsite). It'll com.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Do you know how you can tell an RV owner? It's from their sloped forehead from going
Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
X2.
I'd add that start the engine and fast idle, waiting for the air "pop off" in the rear before pulling in the levelers. Pull them in. Get out and check that they are in. I then turn the engines off. Completely recheck the inside of the coach with DW prior to pulling in slides. Pull slides in.
This is our procedure and works every time. But I lower the coach each time before leveling so if you do, don't forget to change to STD ride height if this applies to your coach.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
good idea to walk outside and check to make sure the airbags are inflated. Twice we had air bag gauges reading full but had the same bumpy ride hog driver had. Not fun since the first time we were actually out on the road by the time we figured it out. Need to hear that "pop off" sound. If that doesn't happen, don't move and restart everything until bags inflate.
dianestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

That's not dumb :P I don't have an RV yet but now I know from your mistake not to repeat it. If you hadn't have experienced it maybe I would have along with many others down the road that will read this thread
Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing your lesson learned. Different coaches have different sequences sometimes and this will help not only Entegra owners but others as well.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #11

During my am inspection this am I notice a small oil puddle under my DS front jack on my 2013 anthem. Appears to have a small leak either from the hose or jack seal. I can not find the reservoir to check the level. I found equalizer system guide and the fluid type but would like to be able to top off level (3/4) full so I can complete this trip then have it serviced. Can anyone help?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

kfisher--

(574) 361-0034 is the new after hours service number for Entegra
(800) 543-4277 is the after hours service number for Spartan

If these don't work PM me and I may still be able to help you.

Blessings
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisher View Post
During my am inspection this am I notice a small oil puddle under my DS front jack on my 2013 anthem. Appears to have a small leak either from the hose or jack seal. I can not find the reservoir to check the level. I found equalizer system guide and the fluid type but would like to be able to top off level (3/4) full so I can complete this trip then have it serviced. Can anyone help?
I had a leak and it was a plug. Seems they are made for more than one application.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #14

On our first trip we did not air up before leaving campground. Thought if gauges showed air pressure up we were ok.Rode like you said , thought it was the tranny. Called Entegra and Spartan, they had no idea, said to get into Spartan shop. Drove bobbing and weaving around 25mmpg to Mid-South
Cummins in Memphis. They told us that they could not see us for three weeks, we were 1000 miles from home. Called Spartan and even though Mid-south is an authorized dealer they could not get us any sooner. Charlie made a lot of calls and finally got us into a large truck repair facility that runs 24hrs. Charlie was a life saver and Joyce at Entegra Followed up with him and us.They had an incline going into the shop and we bottomed out and had to be towed to get off incline. Had to stay awake all nite, you wait untill called. Did get into shop next morning and they found that one jack was not retracting and not letting coach to air up. Think it was a valve adjustment. Leaned two lessons: Always be aired up before leaving campground. 2. NEVER go to Mid-South cummins for help.

Tags
jacks