Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Lesson on Stopping an Entegra Coach!

Was cruising home today on I-20 in East Texas, West Bound just between Longview and Tyler, cruise control on 68, watching 2 other motor homes catching me and both passing me. We came up on a blind hill, and traffic was stopped on the interstate just on the the side, with no warning. I was not watching the on-coming traffic that much like I usually do, so if they were warning of the stopped traffic, we all missed it. I hit the breaks (towing a 14 Jeep Wrangler) and heard my tires lock briefly then before I knew it I was stopped enough to release the pedal and brake to a stop. I am so lucky that I did not run into the back of another vehicle, or have to hit the ditch to the right. The first MH must have stopped, but the second one had to hit the grass off the interstate to the left and passed a few autos before stopping and easing back onto the pavement. My sister was behind me in her C unit, and had time to stop.

The DW and and I said our "Thanks Lord", and we came up on a semi trailer turned over in the median, and the truck cab had jumped over the concrete barrier. There were sign markers of a lane closure, but traffic had backed up far beyond the warning signs. I am very impressed with how quickly this coach will stop in a hard brake situation, and a good reminder of the spacing I want to keep between us and the traffic in front of us! The daughter was sleeping in the bed, and did not wake up

Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Wow .. glad it worked out .. thanks for posting this and reminding us all to be ready for anything out there on the roads. Be safe.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Was cruising home today on I-20 in East Texas, West Bound just between Longview and Tyler, cruise control on 68, watching 2 other motor homes catching me and both passing me. We came up on a blind hill, and traffic was stopped on the interstate just on the the side, with no warning. I was not watching the on-coming traffic that much like I usually do, so if they were warning of the stopped traffic, we all missed it. I hit the breaks (towing a 14 Jeep Wrangler) and heard my tires lock briefly then before I knew it I was stopped enough to release the pedal and brake to a stop. I am so lucky that I did not run into the back of another vehicle, or have to hit the ditch to the right. The first MH must have stopped, but the second one had to hit the grass off the interstate to the left and passed a few autos before stopping and easing back onto the pavement. My sister was behind me in her C unit, and had time to stop.

The DW and and I said our "Thanks Lord", and we came up on a semi trailer turned over in the median, and the truck cab had jumped over the concrete barrier. There were sign markers of a lane closure, but traffic had backed up far beyond the warning signs. I am very impressed with how quickly this coach will stop in a hard brake situation, and a good reminder of the spacing I want to keep between us and the traffic in front of us! The daughter was sleeping in the bed, and did not wake up
Air disc brakes with antilock I assume. In spite of quality claims they are improving RV's in the safety area.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks for posting and thanks Spartan and Entegra for teaming up to make a great coach with great safety features built in that we all take for granted until we see a post like this! PS great reactions and keeping your cool to control your coach to a quick, safe stop! 🚌🚓
Ann n Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Thank goodness all are ok!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I experienced a similar incident in Georgia last year. Sudden unexpected traffic stop on the freeway. I was very impressed with the brakes on our Cornerstone, Stopped straight and quick from 68 mph. Hard to believe you can stop that much weight so quickly. I am sure having the Air Force One System on the toad contributed to the performance.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mark, good to hear about the performance of the braking systems and happy all are ok.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

Wow!

Thank the lord everyones all well
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone, Ralph, I have the InvisiBrake system installed on the Jeep and I have to believe it helped do it's part in the stop. Our stop was straight ahead as well, and I only heard the tires skid a short "Chirp". If the scales were accurate, my traveling weight of the coach only was just over 41,000 lbs, and I believe my jeep is just over 4,000 lbs.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Love air disks! Our 50,000#+ rig stops better than the Dutch Star (all drum brakes) ever did and I haven't had time to hook up the toads brakes to it yet.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
srh

Country Coach Owners Club
Someone was watching over your shoulders! Glad everyone is safe!
I love my VORAD - it not only has light sensors for blind spots on both sides, but has the audio collision warning as well.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Someone was watching over your shoulders! Glad everyone is safe!
I love my VORAD - it not only has light sensors for blind spots on both sides, but has the audio collision warning as well.
We looked at a couple rigs with VORAD but it's about the only option we don't have.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good news indeed. Lived thru a similar experience and really glad we also had the Invsibrake system on our 4K plus Ford Edge. Thanks Lord!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #14

Seems to me the thanks are all going to the wrong entity.