Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Lightning Strike: Update and Recommendations

Okay here goes. Sorry but this is going to be rather lengthy. Six weeks ago my wife and I were camping at an RV park in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York. A thunderstorm rolled in and as we sat in the driver’s and passenger’s seats a bolt of lightening struck our 2016 Anthem in the right rear corner (my brother-in-law was camped right behind us and saw the bolt hit). Initially, we didn’t know we had been hit as we felt nothing, only saw the flash and heard the blast of thunder. The lights stayed on but we lost shore power (which happens in thunder storms). My BIL then called to ask why my tail lights were on. The next day we did a damage assessment:

Engine would not start or even crank

Window shades from living room back would not work

Aquahot would not work in either electric or diesel setting

Signal from direct TV would no longer work

Tail lights were permanently on (had to be shut off at chassis switch)

Transmission panel would only read “XX”

Generator would run and generate power but timer continued to tick off time even when not running

One bright headlight was out and one roof running light was out

Remote control for room extenders didn’t work

Energy Management control module that allows you to select 50-30-20 amps didn’t work

The 2800 watt invertor quit inverting

Verizon MI-FI was cooked

All other systems (TV’s, water pump, toilets, stove top, refer, microwave, lights, slideouts, radio/GPS) worked fine.

We were towed 72 miles to Cicero, New York to the closest place listed as a Spartan/Cummins facility only to find out that they did very little diesel engine motorhome work. They, however, stepped up and agreed to try to fix things. We had been dropped off by the tow truck on a Sunday where we were placed on the back of the lot with no water, sewer, and only 20 amp service. We were here for the next 3 weeks. I had to haul water from the shop in 5 gallon jugs and siphon them into the fresh water tank (thank goodness for the gravity fill port on the new Entegras), had to buy a “Honey Wagon” to drag our waste 100 feet to the dump station, and run the generator almost 24/7 since the weather was hot the entire time we were there. For the entire 3 weeks we were here, we would heat water on the stove top and pour it into a small garden sprinkling can for our showers.

Insurance, while slow at first, was very cooperative and repairs finally began after the first week. The crew at the repair facility was wonderful and did everything they could to fix things. Chassis modules had to be ordered one at a time for replacement to see what had to be replaced. All the repairs that this facility could make were finished and the engine would finally start. We still had many problems. We called Entegra to see if we could bring it in for repairs but they were unable to fit us in, however Joyce referred us to All Brand RV repair (Jerry and Corey Hyman) in Elkhart. They agreed to squeeze us in so we headed the 170 miles west without a speedometer, cruise control, and check engine light constantly on. We set up camp on their repair lot and were able to get one ac running at a time. They fixed the generator issue, shades, electric control module, lights, and remote control for slideouts. These are wonderful people and I can’t say enough about how great they were. If you ever need repairs and can’t get into the Entegra facility, this is the place to go.

We still had lots of engine details that needed to be worked on and fortunately last year we had signed up for the Spartan Chassis Training School for August. We drove to Charlotte, Michigan and they began to work their magic. I can’t say enough about this facility. By the time we left on Friday, everything on the coach was working 100%. From the teaching techs (Big Mike, John, Gary, Greg) to the mechanic (Andy), and a special thanks to PJ from Entegra for the amazing help by all of them. I also do not want to forget Joyce back in Middlebury. She went above and beyond to try and help us with whatever we needed.

Here is a picture of most of the modules that were replaced to get us back on the road;

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474844889.783073.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	139959

The ECM, TCM, Chassis Control module, ABS module, shade control modules, remote slide module, and lights (inverter not pictured).

Finally, I want to thank everyone here on this forum (Brobox, Jestal, BUS4US and others) that have followed our saga and shown such genuine concern for our plight. And a big thank you to my wife, Madeline, for hanging in and being such a trooper through all of this. We absolutely needed each other to get through this ordeal and come out smiling in the end. We met a lot of amazing people on this journey that we will never forget and are actually grateful to have had this experience. We are currently in Oklahoma heading to home in California and should be there in a week.

In case you are interested, the total cost for repairs was about $20,000. It could have been much worse. A few years ago, Entegra had a brand new Cornerstone on their lot ready for delivery that was struck. It had a hole in the roof about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and fused wiring. It had to be totaled.

Consensus from those I spoke with feel if you are in an area with lightening you should bring up your jacks, lower your tv and satellite antennas, and unplug and stow your power cord.

Again thanks to everyone for your concern and I hope our experience will help some of you avoid a similar disaster,

Mallory and Madeline Willis
2016 Anthem 44B
Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #2

Thank you for the update.

I know of the CS they totaled a few years ago as I seriously considered picking it up and repairing it. Unfortunately the reserve didn't leave much in the budget.

While I'm sure you've had your fill of Motorhome repairs this year, hopefully you will avoid any serious issues for quite a while.

I'm sure you have contemplated how fortunate you and your wife are.. Because you got struck by lightening after all! Quite a remarkable experience, and something to share around the campfire.

I think we all are grateful you and your wife are physically OK, and wish you a safe journey home.

Best Regards,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Mallory and Madeline:

Thank you for writing the follow up that you just published. A lot of people never tell us "the rest of the story", and in your case, the rest of the story is very important. First, it tells us that you guys have made it, and are still in the coach, and still optimistic for your future motorcoaching. That is really nice to hear. Second, you are telling us that even with massive damage and problems, you have managed to get them fixed for about $20,000 I think to insurance, and finally, you have delineated a policy for dealing with severe thunder storms.... Not an hour ago, I went through a real heavy storm, and did none of that. I will try to reform. I have mentioned previously that I am a ham radio operator and have 100' and 120' towers behind the house and what I have learned is that often, the lightning precedes the storm (I mean at the edges of the storm). That makes it hard because long before you see the ferocity of the storm, lightning at the edges of the storm is already on top of you, and often long before the skies get dark as night and the rain is a torrent.

Really glad to hear you are back on the road..... hope the rest of your travels are fun and uneventful !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Wow, what a story! Thanks for posting the final outcome and glad you are on the road and rolling with everything fixed! Certainly gives one a new appreciation for thunder storms! Hope our paths cross again soon!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Mallory

Amazing story. Sorry you had to go thru that ordeal. I commend your patience and appreciate your follow up. I agree that if I had that many issues I would head to Spartan HQ.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Goosebumps still!

M&M,

Still gives us "chills" reading your story again. We do value and will fully apply your knowledge and direction when in our bus in bad weather, thank you! Not just one "stormy trooper", you both are! It took the two of you to get through this disaster. We will meet again on the road!

Ron & Lover
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mallory,
Thank you for the detailed rundown. Will definitely change our procedures during thunder storms! We enjoyed meeting both you and Madeline at Spartan Training! Safe travels!

BTW, the new Koni's make a difference for the ride on our coach.
Alec & Sheila
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum Mallory and Madeline. Lots of good information and advice for everyone if a similar situation comes up.

You have set the standard for all if having any issues with our expensive traveling home. Your positive attitude and ability to have some fun going through what you did is an example we all need to follow.

Hope you have years of trouble free travel in the future.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

Glad you are dialed back in and most of all YOU GUYS are well.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Mallory & Madeline thank you for sharing your experience!! Matt D mentioned how fortunate you are, after all, your rig was struck by lightening... The comment is so true. My nephew, a former Marine Corps sniper, was riding his horse on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, he was struck by lightening and killed along with his horse; 9/11/ 1999... So yes, the two of you are so fortunate to continue life's journey... Enjoy that Entegra.. Safe travels
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WOW, expensive but repairable and everyone is all right!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #12

Glad you finally got it all fixed, my husband and I met you at Allbrand RV in Elkhart just after Labor Day. I have thought about you often and am happy to hear you're back on the road. You've certainly been through something very few will ever experience! We hope to see you again in Las Vegas!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #13

Do you know where the lightning bolt hit?
Was there physical damage to the body or frame?

That was quite and ordeal you folks went through.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum Mallory and Madeline. Lots of good information and advice for everyone if a similar situation comes up.

You have set the standard for all if having any issues with our expensive traveling home. Your positive attitude and ability to have some fun going through what you did is an example we all need to follow.

Hope you have years of trouble free travel in the future.
I too enjoyed your story documenting the experience. Thanks so much for sharing! I'll remember the tips for future thunderstorms
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light