Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Locking gas cap

My coach is stored at my brother's house. Went out there to spend the night. Fired up the coach and an alarm went off with a "check engine" error. Looking at the gauges, saw that the fuel level was below E. When I parked it, I had a full tank. So I doubt I have a leak, or there would be a odor from 100 gallons on the ground. I think the AGS would not drain the tank, so all I can assume is it was siphoned. Which is also hard to believe that a gas thief would get every last drop. Maybe my gauge stopped working?
I have seen posts on here where folks posted the locking gas cap size/number but I can't find it. Does anyone have that info handy? How do you get two caps keyed the same?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't waste your money. They only keep out honest thieves. The retirement facility where I used to work had a small passenger van with locking gas cap. Twice the tank was siphoned and both times they simply cut the rubber inlet hose after the cap. Cost more to fix it than the fuel they took.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I think it's an invitation for a determined thief to damage the motor home. Like puncturing the tank to get the 10 gallons he wants.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #4

Autozone or NAPA can match you cap to a locking version. They even sell pairs that are keyed the same. Autozone also has lanyard kits if you don’t want to make your own.

The generator is supposed to draw from a standpipe arrangement that only works to 25% fuel capacity. Ours for some reason goes way beyond that.

The only way to know if you got siphoned would be to ask anyone who may have observed your generator running, or to record generator hours each time you park.

It is quite possible the AGS has stacked a lot of run time if you haven’t been monitoring it. When parked at my parents home, we use AGS extensively and it will burn a tank of fuel faster than you would believe. Approximately 12 gallons a day if it’s fully loaded and running all the time. That scenario will get you just over 6 days. Running 1/2 of the time will get you 12 days, etc.

Just how long has it been since you’ve visited your coach?

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Autozone or NAPA can match you cap to a locking version. They even sell pairs that are keyed the same. Autozone also has lanyard kits if you don’t want to make your own.

The generator is supposed to draw from a standpipe arrangement that only works to 25% fuel capacity. Ours for some reason goes way beyond that.

The only way to know if you got siphoned would be to ask anyone who may have observed your generator running, or to record generator hours each time you park.

It is quite possible the AGS has stacked a lot of run time if you haven’t been monitoring it. When parked at my parents home, we use AGS extensively and it will burn a tank of fuel faster than you would believe. Approximately 12 gallons a day if it’s fully loaded and running all the time. That scenario will get you just over 6 days. Running 1/2 of the time will get you 12 days, etc.

Just how long has it been since you’ve visited your coach?

-Matt
I visit every couple of weeks. I was just out there a few days ago to run the engine and generator but never thought to look at the fuel level (because I knew I had a full tank) or check the generator time... Live and learn...
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Matt, thank you for that information, I was not aware that the AGS on a stored coach would burn that much fuel. Amazing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
My coach is stored at my brother's house. Went out there to spend the night. Fired up the coach and an alarm went off with a "check engine" error. Looking at the gauges, saw that the fuel level was below E. When I parked it, I had a full tank. So I doubt I have a leak, or there would be a odor from 100 gallons on the ground. I think the AGS would not drain the tank, so all I can assume is it was siphoned. Which is also hard to believe that a gas thief would get every last drop. Maybe my gauge stopped working?
I have seen posts on here where folks posted the locking gas cap size/number but I can't find it. Does anyone have that info handy? How do you get two caps keyed the same?
I put locking fuel caps on years ago. If you can make it a little more difficult to siphon out perhaps they will move on to something easier.

At any rate if you want locking fuel caps here is what I used in 2014. I would not think things have changed. Stant 10591D (gives you a green cap).

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Chuck, it’s really hard to say what the AGS would do, especially considering the Inverter settings as provided by Entegra are very conservative and not terribly efficient.

I only know from our experience with our 2 battery coach. About 5-6 hours until AGS fires and it runs for quite a while, even after using Don’s settings.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #9

I am going on memory here, but my memory is that the 12.5 KW Onan will burn 2/3 to 3/4 gallons of diesel per hour in the summer with a full load on the generator (e.g. all three AC units "burning"). If my memory is right, that is ~ 18 gallons a day running all the time. My math indicates that that would be roughly 8 days running all the time. That is a factor that I always consider when considering boondocking overnight at a WalMart while on the road.... generator diesel cost versus RV park cost. Summer is obviously the worst time.

I routinely check my generator hours at the end of each day while on a trip and always note the generator hours, diesel gauge levels, date and time when arriving at a destination or back home in my "Trip Log".

I routinely used Stenz (sp?) locking caps on my Anthem, but decided that they were more bother than good on the Cornerstone so now only use the OEM non-locking caps. Would certainly not like to lose 150 gallons of diesel at todays prices, but I think your chances for theft are rare.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #10

The stant 10591D worked on our 2017.
I put locking caps on for two reasons. First maybe deter someone from siphoning fuel, but probably more important deter someone from walking by and putting something in the fuel tank.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #11

The "Foreign Object in the diesel tank" is a good thought. May resurrect my Stenz or whatever they were named.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Have to agree with Rollin101 about other people inserting foreign objects or things into the fuel tank or the DEF tank. That's my reason for having locks on all of them.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
The stant 10591D worked on our 2017.

I put locking caps on for two reasons. First maybe deter someone from siphoning fuel, but probably more important deter someone from walking by and putting something in the fuel tank.

I agree, I’m more concerned with someone putting dirt in my tank, more costly that lost fuel. Cost me over $500 on my GMC to have the tank clean.
Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Foreign object contamination is why we chose to replace the OEM fuel caps with Stant 10591D.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
BSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas