Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #1

Loose tag axle wheels

I took the coach in because I had a Clunking sound in the rear frame when i made a sharp right turn.. the problem turned out o be that the Tork Box nuts needed to be torqued Down. During the process the mechanic had both of the tag wheels off the floor. I was standing here and he told me to watch this. He put both hands on top of the wheel and pulled back and forth and the wheel rocked back and forth. He went to the other side and did the same thing. Both tag wheels was loose. He had to replace inter and outer bearing on both sides. He said the the Lock nut holding the wheel in place should have been torqued to 400lbs. They should not be loose with only 7,300 miles on it .Anyway Spartan did take care of it.. So just for the heck of it if anyone ever has their tag wheels off the ground, you might just try to move them back and forth. They are probably all ok, but don't hurt to test..

John & Sandy
2014 Entegra 43RBQ
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up ... that’s interesting on a 14 model and now almost 4 years later you are finding this... good to know and a reminder for us owners to check...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

I check all of mine 3 or 4 times a year. They should be checked for cracks in the aluminum wheels as well. Cracks will look like a thin dirt line, a rust line means the lug nut is loose.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
That is an item in the owners manual that is suppose be re-torqued within the first 5,000 miles.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That is an item in the owners manual that is suppose be re-torqued within the first 5,000 miles.
Does the lock nut need retorqued or just the lug nuts at 5000 miles?

I would think the OP's coach will ride a little bit smoother now that everything is tightened up.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The Tork Box nuts is what I was referring to. I believe there was even a sheet regarding the re-torquing in my bag of many books. The OP's post was a good reminder for those that have not read the owners manuals. Strange and expensive things can happen. I had mine done at Spartan and again at Perry Legends in Columbus MO trying to find why my unit would not steer straight.

If it was his lug nuts that were loose, that is the first I have heard of that happening on an Entegra, but that is what the post sounds like.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
This sounds like the axle nut was loose rather than the wheel lug nuts as he had to replace the the bearings. But maybe not.
Good they found it when they did or he could of had a loose wheel Lucille.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve posted about this before. Two years ago I attended the Spartan school. While at the school I noticed a 2012 Anthem that had been in and out of the shop a lot. The Spartan guys said a recently retired couple bought their dream RV slightly used after a certified RV inspector went thru it. They drove to Spartan to attend the course. On the second day of class their RV went in for the 44 point inspection. They pulled the owner out of the class and showed him the box beam bolts had never been retorqued and the rear axle assembly had shifted about two inches right. You could see it visibly because the wheels were very close to the right side fiberglass sides. The damage was over $30,000 to broken and cracked parts. Luckily the couple got a settlement after a lawyer was used.

I immediately had my box beam bolts retorqued. At that time I had about 12000 miles.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The Tork Box nuts is what I was referring to. I believe there was even a sheet regarding the re-torquing in my bag of many books. The OP's post was a good reminder for those that have not read the owners manuals. Strange and expensive things can happen. I had mine done at Spartan and again at Perry Legends in Columbus MO trying to find why my unit would not steer straight.

If it was his lug nuts that were loose, that is the first I have heard of that happening on an Entegra, but that is what the post sounds like.
On the Tork Box - re-torqueing, is that every 5000 miles or just the first 5000 miles.? I remember doing it on our Anthem. Its the just K2 chassis that has to have this done right? I kept trying to get the local Cummins shop to re-torque our bolts on the K3 and they kept telling me that Spartan said it didn't need done...?? I think it took me three tries to finally get the correct answer... We didn't need it done because we DIDN'T have the same tag suspension as the K2..
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Jeanne, I can't answer that about the K3, they won't let me have one to play with. That would have to come from Spartan or the owners manual.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I dunno about a Cornerstone. As for Anthem I think it is a one time deal.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
"My" 2016 Aspire also does not have a Tork Box. According to Spartan having the box is determined by the amount of weight that will be put on the chassis and type of chassis.To be sure is to look or call Spartan with your Vin.

My chassis check was to have the axle bolts re-torqued.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
This sounds like the axle nut was loose rather than the wheel lug nuts as he had to replace the the bearings. But maybe not.
Good they found it when they did or he could of had a loose wheel Lucille.
That is correct Gasman,,, I know what LUG NUTS are,, It was NOT the lug nuts that was loose. As the mechanic pulled back and forth on the wheel it moved back and forth on the HUB. The large nut (approx 3 inch) that holds the hub onto the swing arm shaft of the tag was Loose..

John
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote