Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Low Brake Air Pressure and Brake Pedal

Has anyone else experienced this?

My 2018 Aspire shows actual air pressure on the DIC which is much more useful than just the panel gauge. My Rear (right side gauge) shows pressure drop immediately after compressor running up to 132 PSI. Even when just driving and not using brakes, the pressure quickly drops below 120 PSI. Then it slowly drops lower than 115 until finally getting low enough to run the compressor. Using brakes rapidly drops pressure and makes compressor run.

On my last drive I wondered if there might be some leakage from the parking or brake pedal controls. I put my left foot under the brake pedal and noticed a significant difference between the resting position of the pedal and the lifted position. I also noticed the air pressure did not drop rapidly.

So I wonder if the brake pedal return spring or whatever holds it up is not strong enough and results in weight of the brake pedal releasing air pressure.

Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Have you gone thru the steps to adjust the brakes?

jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Process to adjust brakes from Spartan

With coach ready for road travel start coach and release park brakes then apply foot brake one time with full pressure to adjust brakes.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Has anyone else experienced this?

My 2018 Aspire shows actual air pressure on the DIC which is much more useful than just the panel gauge. My Rear (right side gauge) shows pressure drop immediately after compressor running up to 132 PSI. Even when just driving and not using brakes, the pressure quickly drops below 120 PSI. Then it slowly drops lower than 115 until finally getting low enough to run the compressor. Using brakes rapidly drops pressure and makes compressor run.

On my last drive I wondered if there might be some leakage from the parking or brake pedal controls. I put my left foot under the brake pedal and noticed a significant difference between the resting position of the pedal and the lifted position. I also noticed the air pressure did not drop rapidly.

So I wonder if the brake pedal return spring or whatever holds it up is not strong enough and results in weight of the brake pedal releasing air pressure.
That's an interesting observation, but there is obviously a large air leak somewhere. The rear air "right gauge" should hold for days if not weeks. Rear air is only for rear brakes so there should be minimal leakage.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhobbs54 View Post
Process to adjust brakes from Spartan

With coach ready for road travel start coach and release park brakes then apply foot brake one time with full pressure to adjust brakes.

Interesting, thanks, had not seen that.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
That's an interesting observation, but there is obviously a large air leak somewhere. The rear air "right gauge" should hold for days if not weeks. Rear air is only for rear brakes so there should be minimal leakage.

Thanks, good to know I am not in danger of losing brake capability.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My guess is your gauges are backwards. Mine were, and had Spartan correct them.

Normally, the front fluctuates, while the rear is pretty steady (more so). If the guages are connected backwards, the Front will remain pretty steady, while the Rear fluctuates.

Drove me crazy for a while, until someone else on this forum suggested this. Sure enough, they were connected incorrectly.

Cheers
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club

I'm wondering if some of free play / travel is do to adjustable pedals. I notice that on my pickup that has adjustable pedals. Never tried that on the coach.
Gasman 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Guess you missed my where I asked about low air....lots of 2017 Owners have low air warnings. Lots of porpoising, especially at bridges and overpasses.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club

Pat were there any common issues related to the porpoising like just 17s, DEQs of those who reported back?
Do you think the air lost is do to the porpoising because the leveling valves are constantly changing air?
We have a 16 RBQ and I have not noticed the porpoising like you described.
Gasman 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
Guess you missed my where I asked about low air....lots of 2017 Owners have low air warnings. Lots of porpoising, especially at bridges and overpasses.

Pat, I saw and responded. I never get a low air alarm, just lower than optimum air pressure and only on the right gauge. Does that air pressure affect air bags as well as brakes? There is a direct correlation with brake usage.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jerry, Does your front gauge remain steady? Once air'd up, does it move at all? Just curious?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Yeah....the air system is all connected.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Jerry,
I cut and pasted from another post (at the bottom) you made on Pat's thread. The way you describe the Front air pressure gauge is indicative of the Rear Gauge. Yes, the Front air gauge is for the air bags and front brakes but will fluctuate more so as you travel down the road (as the air bags work to release and inflate the bags for a smooth ride), it should never stay steady at above 125 as you described.

However, the Rear Gauge (for the rear brakes) should hover at 125 most of the time, unless you are applying the breaks. So, this is why I suggested earlier that your gauges are backwards. This is not an uncommon mistake from the factory, as Spartan corrected mine this past August. Also, don't expect local shops to trace this connection properly. I asked a local shop to swap the connections and they insisted they were correct. Wrong.

As far as the transitions and roadway, have you done a four corner weight and properly set your tire pressures. We had a similar issue that was solved by lowering the lbs in all tires to the recommended tire manufacturer specs, versus the max pressure recommended on the yellow sticker behind the driver seat. Smoothed out our ride, and with the correct ride height adjustment, kept our coach from acting like a dolphin.

"I don't have a low air pressure warning and my Left gauge (Front) air pressure which I understand is the air bag air pressure stays up above 125 almost all the time. However, I have what I consider to be terrible rebound. I don't know whether to be more disappointed with the Spartan chassis or the terrible condition of our roads."

Hope this helps.

Tags
air, brake