Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Magnum Inverter Fault Code Help Needed

Picked up my coach from non powered storage yesterday and my Magnum ME2012 Inverter was displaying this Fault code : Internal NTC (see pic below)
My coach was NOT plugged in and I had the inverter turned off. My 12 volt switch by the door was off and the chassis batteries were turned off.
After a hour or so of pure panic (packing up for a 3 month adventure) I was able to reset the inverter and the code cleared and all has been well for the last 24 hours.

My question is this... what caused this and will it come back.

Thank you for any help with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fault 2018crop.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	210844  
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a warning of a major shift of temperature. It is referring to the internal sensor of the inverter.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This is a warning of a major shift of temperature. It is referring to the internal sensor of the inverter.
That would explain another problem caused by the record high heat this summer in our area. I'll bet the closed up coach has reached temps in the excess of 130. Our daily heat index has been 105-108.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
May need to check the Low Voltage setting in the menu and make sure it is not set to 12.4, as shown on your display. Depending on your house batteries, probably needs to be set somewhere around 11.9, 12.0 or 12.1 - many battery experts on here if you want to list your battery type, make, model to make sure your settings are correct for them.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #5

Update

update..It has been a week and no troubles everything is working fine.
I have a hard time believing Chuck that the temperature would rise fast enough to set the fault code (even in the Florida heat) go figure !!!

Is there anything else I should be doing when I store the coach...I turn of the 12v switch by the door, turn off the inverter and disconnect the chassis batteries .
Is there some way of powering off the inverter so it does not use any voltage?( I thought turning it off did that)

Mwoodofd...thank you, that is not my low voltage setting. I believe it was showing the current state of charge of the batteries.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
I have a hard time believing Chuck that the temperature would rise fast enough to set the fault code (even in the Florida heat) go figure !!!

Is there anything else I should be doing when I store the coach...I turn of the 12v switch by the door, turn off the inverter and disconnect the chassis batteries .
Is there some way of powering off the inverter so it does not use any voltage?( I thought turning it off did that)

Mwoodofd...thank you, that is not my low voltage setting. I believe it was showing the current state of charge of the batteries.

id call Magnum and ask whet the code meant then you could find out what caused the fault if you knew what that code was for
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Assuming your 2012 was the same as subsequent years, there is no positive shutoff for the inverters. The factory installed inverter shutoff switch began in 2017.

The Magnum will use about 400mA of power even when it is "OFF" to keep the remote panel alive. This will drain your batteries in just 3 or 4 weeks.

The only way to prevent this is to disconnect the inverter cable(s) from the battery or to add your own battery shutoff switches.

I've helped others install shutoff switches, here's a diagram for a single whole coach shutoff switch for a single inverter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18in...w?usp=drivesdk

Here's a dual cutoff switch (one for the inverter only, one for the rest of the coach) for a single inverter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AnY...w?usp=drivesdk
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
I've helped others install shutoff switches, here's a diagram for a single whole coach shutoff switch for a single inverter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18in...w?usp=drivesdk

Here's a dual cutoff switch (one for the inverter only, one for the rest of the coach) for a single inverter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AnY...w?usp=drivesdk
Thank you for your help with this, should I install the single or dual cutoff. Not sure I understand the difference. Where I store my coach I have no power so would it be best to install the dual cutoff?
Thank you again for all of your help.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for your help with this, should I install the single or dual cutoff. Not sure I understand the difference. Where I store my coach I have no power so would it be best to install the dual cutoff?
Thank you again for all of your help.
The single switch version will shutdown the entire coach including the inverter. It saves the cost of the second switch.

Dual switch version would be if you wanted to independently shut off the inverter but leave the rest of the coach circuits on - or vise versa. Gives you a bit more flexibility.

If your interest is just saving your batteries while in storage and you don't need anything else to be running (say like a 12 volt powered remote monitoring device), the single switch version shown will be the way to go.

Here is a link to some photos of a switch install on a 2014 Anthem. We went with two switches in this case because there are two inverters and two battery trays. A one switch installation would have worked here also, it was owner preference to have two.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uGezGjMBmXhoxfZY2

FWIW, the 2017 and newer entegra's have a factory installed big switch like in my diagram for each inverter, plus 4 more breaker/switches for the major DC sub circuits. That would be harder to implement on an older coach, but the two switch version of my diagrams would be the closest. See
https://photos.app.goo.gl/484fnWFafptuULdx5

Feel free to contact me via email if you need more guidance.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter