RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Main engine exhaust tip just fell off

Went to coach in storage to work on some stuff and I find the chrome exhaust tip for 450 engine is sitting on the ground. The connector clamp rusted through and the tip just completely fell off. Would hate to see that happen at 65 MPH and what it would do to the toad and everybody behind.

The tip is rusty too so I go to NorthTrail RV to buy tip and clamp. But the exhaust is 4" diameter and the tip is 4" diameter and the only clamp they have is a reducer clamp. Both parts are from Spartan and that's the only clamp they carry.

The original clamp was a straight clamp so I bought an identical one at a truck shop. I go to install using the straight clamp and the instructions explicitly state do not use to butt clamp -- which is how was originally. I try it anyway and the tip will not tighten up enough with clamp all the way to the stops. The top of the tip actually touches the fiberglass body panel before it butts up to exhaust around all 360 degrees of the joint. It did that with the original too, but there are no melt or scorch marks on the fiberglass.

I tried the reducer clamp and it would not hold tight either. So I then tried to install my first front shade motor. Three hours later I still could not get the damn little short wires right. Replacing motor was a snap with the guidance from pertinent threads here. But the motors have been replaced before by previous owner and the wires are so short. I did the sling thingy too.

So I replaced the windshield wipers with relative ease and declared victory and went home to watch the Saints play tonight!

What is the deal with the exhaust tip and clamp?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

Why not reinstall the tip, drill a couple holes and put screws instead of an unreliable clamp? Since they are the same size, go to a muffler shop and have the make a flange?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

I'll go talk to a truck place about fabbing a collar to slip over both exhaust and tip and drill it as you suggest so I can bolt it on.

Anybody noticed if their Anthem exhaust tip touches the fiberglass body panel?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

My 14 Anthem classics exhaust tip drops about
1 3/4 from the fiberglass cap.
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

I feel your pain! I rolled in last Monday from a trip to the Smokies and discovered my chrome tip missing and a couple of scars on the TOAD! Not sure when I lost it but likely somewhere on I-20 east of Augusta! I have a replacement on order from Summit Racing in 304 Stainless with matching band clamp which is due in tomorrow. If I measured correctly the Summit piece will slip over the exhaust stub and the band clamp is a stepped type which "should" fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6944.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	221989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6951.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	221990  

Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Yes that is the same clamp on my 15 Anthem and the same failure point. The instructions for that clamp says do not use on a butt connection.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Had the same "lost" exhaust tip issue with my 2016 Anthem...within the first 500 miles! As suggested, re-install with screws into exhaust pipe.
Based on experience. don't drive very far without the tip in place...exhaust blast will hit the inside of the rear cap fiberglass which can/will create spider cracks in the finish.
02trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
rbr
Jeep Test Dummy

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02trader View Post

Based on experience. don't drive very far without the tip in place...exhaust blast will hit the inside of the rear cap fiberglass which can/will create spider cracks in the finish.

A friend with a Tiffin recently lost an exhaust tip on a long interstate trip without knowing. Noticed smoke in his rear camera. Pulled over to find his tail lights on that side smoldering and almost ready to flame.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Installed new chrome exhaust tip today. I used an angle grinder to cut four slots in the 4" exhaust pipe that actually is an extension piece of pipe that is connected to the muffler with another one of same clamps that also is showing serious corrosion in the same place! I did not mess with that one because I did not have the parts to fix it anyway.

I beat the exhaust pipe down around the entire circumference so the 4" chrome tip could slide over it and then clamped it with a new clamp of the same type - which specifically states on the instructions to not use on a butt joint. That is why a lot of these chrome tips fall off if it is not failure from corrosion! I know I should also put some screws on both ends of the clamp. I don't see how self tapping screws are going to get through all of the material of the clamp and chrome tip and exhaust pipe. This is not sheet metal stuff. Should I center punch a start and then drill pilot holes?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #10

I recently lost my tip while traveling in Montanna. I discovered 4 tips were hard to find. I finally found a s/s tip to use temporarily, it turned bronze. I ended up ordering a chrome replacement from Spartan, pricey at $200. The tip and pipe were both 4 so I purchased a coupler from Fleet Pride. Used band clamps and sheet metal screws on both. However, the tip does touch the fiberglass so I may have heat issues there.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #11

Drill holes slightly smaller than the minor diameter of the thread of your screws. Please use at least (2) stainless steel screws to hold the tip on, even if you are using a "hose type clamp". Two of these screws will act as a safety if and when the rusty hose clamp fails.
You can buy stainless exhaust "hose" type screw clamps that are designed for your problem. It does take a bit of research to find them.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #12

I initially bought and advocated the purchase of Gibson stainless steel 4" down turn exhaust pipes for my coach but then discovered that stainless, at least Gibson stainless steel down turn exhausts do turn bronze from the temperature that comes out of our exhausts. So that was not the right answer. Gibson stainless down turns are great replacements for the OEM pipes on our Genny and AquaHot pipes.... very elegant and look great installed, but not their down turn exhausts. In fact, they also stopped making them for at least a while.

The 4" chromed steel tips are available from a number of sources. It is a good idea to check the exhausts on a regular basis and ensure that your connections are good and tight.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPaPat View Post
Should I center punch a start and then drill pilot holes?
Yes, I pre-drill most heavier metals so the self tapping screw does not wallow out the hole. Also a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
I it turned bronze. .
Mike you would have been right in style, the new 19's are bronze at the time of delivery and turn darker. They are a new style tip that are no longer round on the exhaust end, more flared looking. Those are probably now $400. from Spartan. I will remember to run screws in mine, I don't want to replace that one.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #14

Chuck

You must have gotten a new fangled downturn pipe on your late spring manufactured coach.... in my early 19 production coach, the downturn seems to be the same as on my Anthem....

What did you get?

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Downturn Exhaust on Cornerstone.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	223088  

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, exhaust