Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Michelin vs Goodyear

Had Michelin tires on all my vehicles for the past 20.

Are there any issues replacing the factory installed Goodyear tires on the Aspire with the Michelin tires specified for the Anthem?

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Had Michelin tires on all my vehicles for the past 20.

Are there any issues replacing the factory installed Goodyear tires on the Aspire with the Michelin tires specified for the Anthem?

Curt

Hi Curt:

Glad to see a Ft Bragg guy online with us.

I will start the firestorm:

1. Both make great tires.
2. I don't own a Anthem, but have an opinion as most have.
3. I have ran both on my coach and have had good and not so good results with both.
4. Michelin RV tires have a reputation for splitting on the sidewall. I had two do that.
5. Goodyears have a habit of "rivering" if the tire pressure is not perfect and so (including myself) say it will happen regardless of how well the pressure is established and maintained. I have had to that did that as well.
6. Goodyear's seem to provide a little firmer ride and more accurate steering "feel."
7. Michelin's seem to ride a little smoother but may provide less feedback steering fell to the driver.
8. Currently I have Goodyear's on the steer and Michelin's on the other six rims. I didn't plan to do it that way. It just happened when I needed to replace my Mich's on the steer axle and the only thing in site was the Goodyear's. All and all, I'm pleased with both. NOT sure if I will maintain this mix, but in consultation with a good friend who is one of the engineers who designed the G670, he assures me that there is NO safety issue with this mix as long as I maintain the same tires on both sides of the same axle.

To answer your question, do what you feel you want to as long as you maintain the same tire on both sides of the same axle. In a perfect world, there appears to be a lot of opinions about what is perfect for YOU and what YOU want from your tires.

I'm almost at the five year point on my tires so when I change them out next year I will probably just go to all Michs because of the FMCA price break.

Cheers
Leo
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info on both manufacturers Leo.

The Anthem comes with (I believe) 315/80R Michelin front tires.

Can those 315/80R tires go on the front of the Aspire?

Curt
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
That may be a stretch. They did increase the tire size on the 2013 Aspires that they used the Anthem chassis with IFS, but that was a weight rating related change, based upon the increased weight on the front end.

The Entegra front page says they use 295s; space is at a premium in that front fender well. I'd check with the factory before I considered the change. By the way, if they have Goodyears, switching to Michelins immediately would be expensive ($3-4K+).

I too have switched to Michelins on all my vehicles over the last several years (especially the Vette) because they were quieter than Goodyears (at least on the Vette)...but I only did it when it was "time" because of the cost of the large Michelin tires.

I do believe this is part of what makes up a better ride with the IFS and the Michelins, with the Anthem, but that is a subjective humble opinion.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post

The Entegra front page says they use 295s; space is at a premium in that front fender well. I'd check with the factory before I considered the change. By the way, if they have Goodyears, switching to Michelins immediately would be expensive ($3-4K+).

I too have switched to Michelins on all my vehicles
Before I call CS -- would like to know if anyone on the forum knows if the larger 315 tire will have a problem in the Aspire front wheel well?

Cost difference between Michelin and Goodyear is a known factor and not an intended part of this thread.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

Anthem has a wider front rim to get the max load rating. If you put the bigger tire on the narrow rim the capcity will be less than that of the Anthem. Also even on the Anthem the clearance is close, if the wheels aren't straight and you drop the coach to level you can crunch the fender. Last point is the mechanical difference of IFS. Suspension clearance may be different.
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMatt View Post
Anthem has a wider front rim to get the max load rating. If you put the bigger tire on the narrow rim the capcity will be less than that of the Anthem. Also even on the Anthem the clearance is close, if the wheels aren't straight and you drop the coach to level you can crunch the fender. Last point is the mechanical difference of IFS. Suspension clearance may be different.
How can I tell from the Entegra website that the Anthem rim is wider than the Aspire rim?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #8

Do not think you can but they ARE wider. On my 2011 Anthem they replaced the 295 tires with 315s AND new, wider rims.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Do not think you can but they ARE wider. On my 2011 Anthem they replaced the 295 tires with 315s AND new, wider rims.
I will call Entegra CS. Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Before I call CS -- would like to know if anyone on the forum knows if the larger 315 tire will have a problem in the Aspire front wheel well?

Cost difference between Michelin and Goodyear is a known factor and not an intended part of this thread.
Sorry the info was not helpful...I give:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:

How can I tell from the Entegra website that the Anthem rim is wider than the Aspire rim?
You can't tell from the web, but the narrow rim is actually on the rear of the anthem. The holes in the rim on the narrow wheel are much larger than the wider rim. So basically if you look at an Aspire, all rims are the same. On Anthems and Cornerstones the front rim has small holes and the rears are the same large holes as the Aspire. The major downside to this setup is the narrow wheels appear to be clear coated and the wide is not so it requires aluminum polish to keep its shine.

Personally, I don't think the extra weight matters given even the smaller tires are so massive. I think they were just covering themselves from the lawyers and complainers. If we were putting 500k miles on these rigs it might matter, but at the rate they get used, its overkill.
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMatt View Post

You can't tell from the web, but the narrow rim is actually on the rear of the anthem. The holes in the rim on the narrow wheel are much larger than the wider rim. So basically if you look at an Aspire, all rims are the same. On Anthems and Cornerstones the front rim has small holes and the rears are the same large holes as the Aspire. The major downside to this setup is the narrow wheels appear to be clear coated and the wide is not so it requires aluminum polish to keep its shine.

Personally, I don't think the extra weight matters given even the smaller tires are so massive. I think they were just covering themselves from the lawyers and complainers. If we were putting 500k miles on these rigs it might matter, but at the rate they get used, its overkill.
With this new information -- Will an Anthem front wheel/rim and 315/80R Michelin tire fit on an Aspire without causing problems?

Curt
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
With this new information -- Will an Anthem front wheel/rim and 315/80R Michelin tire fit on an Aspire without causing problems?

Curt
Color me curious, but you seem to have an insatiable desire to change to the larger tire. Realizing how dangerous incorrect tires/tire pressure are to RV's...wouldn't you want to get the most accurate info possible? Many on this forum are extremely knowledgable....but IMO (and based on the comments above it seems that many of those very knowledgable people believe...) you're messing with something potentially quite dangerous. Call CS and have the experts answer this very important question for you.
Richard20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #14

so what r u trying to accomplish toss out good tires to buy tire you think might be better I don't get it. aren't you getting new tires on the rig
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote