Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #1

Minor electrical glitches while using generator

2017 Anthem 44B
When running on generator power I have several circuit breakers that seem to pop, not constantly as I usually notice when I have finished my drive (I usually run the generator when driving somewhere). It always seems to affect only those circuit breakers that are GFI circuit breakers. The one other issue I have noticed is that my electric blanket controller gets an error message on it and quits working until I turn it off on back on.
Seems like an intermittent spike or something? any thoughts??
I had a conversation with one person at Entegra CS and he hadn't heard of this happening.
thanks
Van Sayler
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Just seeing another post on electric blanket problems......I would try unplugging the blanket and see if that solved the GFI problem. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/elec...ng-326895.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

That sounds like some kind of issue with the circuit the GFIs are on. Either the GFIs are working correctly, or they aren't. Typically, GFIs are pretty good when first manufactured. However, having one fail from the beginning is a possibility.

An easy step would be to either replace the affected GFI with a new one, or swap with an unaffected "operates normally" GFI. If the problem moves, your GFI is bad. If the problem remains, it's a wiring issue.

If you are electrically savvy, I'd map the circuit and check each outlet individually for any wiring issues. If that checks OK, I would check the connections at the breaker to eliminate that as a problem.

Once you've done these steps, you've greatly narrowed the possibilities. What remains a possibility is that during construction, they nicked a wire inside the wall with a fastener, and its moving enough to touch whenever you're driving.

At this point, I would refer you to Entegra, because you're likely talking a significant repair. I've heard good things about. Atkinson Indoor RVs service, and they welcomed me for service work, even though we didn't buy there. I wound up replacing the window on my own, but will call on them when needed.

Your coach should have a Pure Sine Inverter, so it shouldn't pose any problems for an electric blanket. Are you plugged into the main (larger) inverter? Is this problem all the time, or just when inverting?

I hope this helps,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have issues with Electric Blankets and INVERTERS (MSW) but never with quality generators... And most RV generators in class A's are d quality (Some of the contractor's models are downright scary).

The GFCI may be picking up stray current somewhere and operating as designed. On my coach I found that the Onan 5500 is not "Bonded" that is neutral is not bonded to ground, as it is with shore power.

I know this cause I've measured.. But it has never tripped my GFCI

GFCI's are supposed to work on 2 wires, a bit like a teeter totter or beam balance.
on a beam balance as long as the weight on each pan is the same, the balance is.. Well, balanced

but if the weight in one pan is heavier, it tips

On the GFCI, as long as the current in the Black and White wires is the same, it is well.. balanced.

But if one carries more current, just a tiny bit more, it "Tilts" and tripps.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest tightening all wire connections.

Shorepower to EMS, EMS to transfer switch input, Generator to transfer switch input, Generator to power cable up front, transfer switch output, circuit breaker input, all of the circuit breakers, grounds, and neutrals, inverter connections, etc.

You could have some that worked loose and as moving arching.

Turn off generator to prevent it from starting, turn off shorepower, disconnect your inverter from the house batteries. Don't know if your house battery disconnect also disconnects the inverter/converter, if it doesn't, then pull battery cable.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

I don't have an electric blanket but have had this very same issue as well when running the generator. Was on the phone with someone that was an electrician on these things and he said a common culprit is a loose ground coming from the generator.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

The circuit breakers with GFIs work fine, except when on generator power and then only when its on for maybe 8 hours or so. And then only 1 or 2 will pop. It took 2 days on the generator to blow all 3 and overnight for me to see the electric blanket issue. What I think my next step is to disconnect shore power and start my generator and see if the electric blanket works or fails immediately. It seems to be an intermittent issue so I think I also need to check to see if my wires are tight as noted by two respondents.
thanks to all for the suggestions!
Van

Tags
electrical, generator