Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Unfortunately, most young people believe it's their god given right to be online 24/7.
It sounds to me like a lot of older people think that also. The fact is that we are all sharing a limited resource, and if everyone insists on consuming as much as they can, it just won't work. There is not enough bandwidth in existence for everybody in a campground to watch streaming video all evening.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
The major carriers are now moving to gen 5 which opens up the pipe significantly. The hardwired/fiber optic line are too costly to maintain and install. All data will be over the air in a few years ie Verizon sold Fios cable and AT&T bought Direct TV to move them to streaming. Sounds like the big guys are all moving to data over the air. Thats my opinion
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Yes, I see it as the age of consumerism. I can afford it so I'll grab all that I can and not leave much for others. Kind of sad.
Age of consumerism? On an RV forum? I don't understand why I shouldn't expect a business to be honest and deliver the advertised service. Pardon my high standard.
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
The major carriers are now moving to gen 5 which opens up the pipe significantly. The hardwired/fiber optic line are too costly to maintain and install. All data will be over the air in a few years ie Verizon sold Fios cable and AT&T bought Direct TV to move them to streaming. Sounds like the big guys are all moving to data over the air. Thats my opinion
I just read an article about Gen 5 that said its rollout is not expected until 2020. In the meantime we are constrained by current technology limits.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
A copy and paste from AT&T Mobley site. I am only going by the company that makes the rules, their cell towers their rules. If they don't slow speeds....we're all good. If they do, don't complain. I am sure they can end the plan as fast as they stated it. Did anybody have a $20. a month mobile unlimited plan last summer?

AT&T Unlimited PlusSM Never pay overages again.Our best unlimited data deal

ONLY WITH AT&T After 22 GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
Age of consumerism? On an RV forum? I don't understand why I shouldn't expect a business to be honest and deliver the advertised service. Pardon my high standard.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Unfortunately, most young people believe it's their god given right to be online 24/7.

I see you've met my kids.......
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
[snip] One poster bragged about testing it and giving the usage code to 10 other campers creating a park wifi just to see if it would work. [snip)
Chuck, I have read many of your previous posts and actually think you’re a pretty nice guy, however for the life of me I cannot understand your obsession with the fact that I ‘tested’ the capabilities of the Mobley when connected to a router.

This is at least your fourth post incensed with my testing experiment. I answered two of your post explaining what I did and why, but you have never responded to any of those posts.

However, it seems whenever a new Mobley thread pops up, you’re sure to repeat your outrage that someone would have the audacity to test the capabilities of the Mobley when connected to a router.

So, let’s clear up a few points, and if you still have concerns, please post them as a reply rather than dropping a comment into a new thread that I may or may not see.

First of all regarding this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
One poster bragged about testing it and giving the usage code to 10 other campers creating a park wifi just to see if it would work.
I clearly stated it was a test at the Tiffin service center, not a campground. Here was my reply to your concerns:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Chuck, it was a test to see how many devices could be supported using the Mobley through a router to see what affect if any there might be.

The Tiffin service center is not a normal campground. There is a lot of interaction and sharing of all kinds of information between owners. I have no intention of offering this to any standard campgrounds I may visit in the future.

Certainly, many of those that were connected will purchase a Mobley now that they know about it, but isn't that the same thing this thread is doing.
Secondly, I was not 'bragging', but rather simply posting the results of my limited test. At that time we were on a four week trip from NV to pickup our coach in Memphis, travel to Red Bay and then drive home. During that whole time, including the test in Red Bay, we used a total of ~40GB of data.

We frequently have one or more of our grand children traveling with us and taking in account the devices my wife and I have, and then with the addition of what the kids have, we will definitely be over the Mobley's five device limit. That is why I purchased a router and wanted to test it prior to our summer trips.

Please explain to me what I did that was so egregious to get you so upset?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
The tragedy of the commons argument breaks down when we agree that this isn't a public service. It's a private fee for service provider. I'd also like to point out that bandwidth caps and bandwidth bottlenecks are manufactured by the very owners of the infrastructure of whom you're displacing blame.

Having 17 years in public sector network engineering Verizon, Comcast, etc get zero sympathy from me over data caps and QoS abuse. They have ample infrastructure, it's just cheaper to throttle you than allow you to actually get what you paid for.
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, your name was never mentioned, not was one of you posts ever quoted. I avoided your other posts not to start a pissing contest. I still think handing out the Mobley usage by connecting it to a router then allowing those at Camp Tiffin to sign on is going way past the usages intended for the $20. a month. You can call letting 10 people on your system anything you want, it still is not within the service agreement of the Mobley system and it was still creating a "park wifi" even though it was at Camp Tiffin. Please post from AT&T where testing of the Mobley in that matter is acceptable by AT&T's service agreement.
From the way I read the Mobley service agreement is states "connect up to 5 device".

Now that you have tested it with 10 people, how many of those will create a "park wifi" or it's OK it's just in my "neighborhood", and on and on just to show others how cool it is.

I don't agree with the way a lot of people are abusing the Mobley and personally, I don't think the system will last long with the current abuse. If we can't govern ourselves, AT&T probably will. JMO No need to turn this post into any kind of argument, it was just stating the AT&T Service Agreement we all agreed to, which was up to 5 devices, unlimited data, but may be throttled back at 22 GB.

We all complain about RV park Wifi, I wonder why? I remember when park wifi use to work fine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yes, I see it as the age of consumerism. I can afford it so I'll grab all that I can and not leave much for others. Kind of sad.

Terry,
Using that logic you should not be driving a Bounder DP. You should be limited to a Smart Car and only 10K miles per year so there is plenty of fuel for others to use.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Last I noticed, there was no shortage of fuel at the pumps. You can pump all you can hold and so can the guy behind you and the guy behind him. This is totally different than the situation with campground Wifi, where often the more you use, the less there is for everybody else.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I'm not sure why the consumer is getting the bad rap here... Consumers consume and they pay for that consumption. I have unlimited [as a consumer and I pay for that], so if I wanna use 1TB per month, that's what I'm paying for...same for the Mobley that others are using.

CG WiFi is the problem of the CG...they don't want to pay for the bandwidth necessary in today's computing environment. It's no different than the crappy power you get from the pedestal, because they don't want to pay an electrician to maintain the power. But, we're paying for the power too, right?

Cellphone Co's....they make their money on subscribers. Phones are a commodity any more, so they don't make money on those, like they used to. So, they compete with each other on the data services...ie unlimited data, text and talk.

So, no matter how many people is perceived to be abusing data usage, the Cell Co's are not going to undo unlimited service. If Verizon stops unlimited, I'm switching to AT&T...and Verizon knows that.

We're consumers.....we consume...Simple
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #42

If somebody sells me (and I pay for) "unlimited data" I'm going to use as much as I want. Simple as that.