Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If somebody sells me (and I pay for) "unlimited data" I'm going to use as much as I want.
I am sure you will, and so will the next guy and the guy after him. Eventually nobody will get any service. Either the plan will be cancelled because it is not profitable to ATT, or the signals will be so slow as to be useless. Go ahead, kill the golden goose and feast yourself on it. Just don't be surprised when there are no more golden eggs.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Bob, your name was never mentioned, not was one of you posts ever quoted. I avoided your other posts not to start a pissing contest. I still think handing out the Mobley usage by connecting it to a router then allowing those at Camp Tiffin to sign on is going way past the usages intended for the $20. a month. You can call letting 10 people on your system anything you want, it still is not within the service agreement of the Mobley system and it was still creating a "park wifi" even though it was at Camp Tiffin. Please post from AT&T where testing of the Mobley in that matter is acceptable by AT&T's service agreement.
From the way I read the Mobley service agreement is states "connect up to 5 device".

Now that you have tested it with 10 people, how many of those will create a "park wifi" or it's OK it's just in my "neighborhood", and on and on just to show others how cool it is.

I don't agree with the way a lot of people are abusing the Mobley and personally, I don't think the system will last long with the current abuse. If we can't govern ourselves, AT&T probably will. JMO No need to turn this post into any kind of argument, it was just stating the AT&T Service Agreement we all agreed to, which was up to 5 devices, unlimited data, but may be throttled back at 22 GB.

We all complain about RV park Wifi, I wonder why? I remember when park wifi use to work fine.
True you didn't quote me, but you did post the following comment when I first posted about multiple connections:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
[snip]
Bob, I hope giving out Mobley to everybody in Camp Grounds doesn't ruin the unlimited date for everyone else. I have a feeling it will, just like unlimited phone data is being phased out. Those 10 will do it for 10 others, then 10 others and before we know it bye-bye Mobley.
I've already explained what I did and the reason for it so I'm not going to repeat myself.

You say you don't want to get into a pxxxxxg contest, but yet you continue to post about the audacity someone displayed by conducting a test about how many users could connect through a router. What's wrong with having a discussion about the issue?

If you have some sort of user agreement from AT&T that addresses this issue, please post a link as I never received anything like that from them. I purchased the device at Best Buy and received a sim card from AT&T with no additional documentation.

The Mobley itself is only able to physically have five concurrent connections. I didn't hack anything to use a router. The Mobley comes with a port that the router plugs into. That's all I and many others have done.

I simply disagree with you that the number of connections is going to have any affect on the program. However I do agree that the data usage possibly could, but what difference does it make if that data usage is a reflection of 1,000 connections or 5,000 or more? Data usage is data usage, period.

If you want to see some outragious monthly data usage of 100GB to 150GB and more with or without a router by many users, do a search on DSLReports or Howard Forums

Bottom line is it's an unlimited data plan that will be used unlimitedly until and unless AT&T decides otherwise.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
If you went to an all-you-can-eat restaurant buffet, do you you think it would be fair to bring a wheelbarrow and fill it up so you can feed everyone in your neighborhood?

There is using something as intended, and then there is taking unfair advantage of the system. Some people don't know the difference. They will bring the system down sooner or later, or will raise the cost for everybody.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
For those that may have missed it, at the bottom of the page is the AT&T service agreement I was asked to agree to when I signed up with AT&T and I was asked for all of my personal credit information. Nothing made up here and the way I understand how the program works. My program is #2 2AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/de...sku=sku7700323

Originally it was a new vehicle Onstar program (which I was notified about) Enough people complained, it did not take in older model vehicles, so AT&T opened it up to all vehicles. I believe the intent is for vehicle travel as stated in the service agreement first line. If the service is discontinued for too many violations, I still have the new Onstar qualified vehicle that can't be moved into a house for residential use, and it isn't strong enough to supply the entire neighbor with with wifi and there is no place to connect a route. Again, just going what is stated by AT&T.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Stop it you guys.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Stop it you guys.
Yep. I'm done, I am leaving tomorrow.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am sure the wheels are turning inside of ATT to figure out what to do about the fact that it is way too easy for the current Mobley OBD2 hotspot to be used as a general use data hot spot anywhere which has a much higher usage profile than they priced the Connected Car Program at.

I suspect that soon ATT will stop selling the current Mobley and will begin selling a new OBD2 Hot Spot that will only work if there is OBD2 bus data on the OBD2 data bus pins of the connector, to make sure it is plugged into a vehicle eligible for the connected car program.

That will be ATT's way to try to force the device to be used the way that it was intended on the connected car program, only inside of a vehicle and not as a totally portable mobile hotspot.

Of course, clever engineers will eventually invent and sell a power adapter that works around this, but it will be a more expensive power adapter than the current ones available for the Mobley.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #50

I was recently in Everett for a week, our Mobley was unusable due to throttling. We were in a high usage area; I was getting .3 Mbps down for speeds. We had used 23 gigs of data at that point. As soon as we returned home, all was back to normal. Last month we used just over 80 gigs on the Mobley.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
I recently hooked up my new Mobley to my WiFi ranger setup. Haven't had any luck tethering it to the USB input yet. I played with the DNS settings others have posted and so far when attempting to tether all I get is "modem dialing". Using Mobley wifi I'm averaging 1.6 MPS on my setup vs 1.25 mps on the resort WiFi.

So far the Mobley has kept us in the 21st Century. The speed is not amazing but the price is the best out there right now.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matfam1 View Post
I was recently in Everett for a week, our Mobley was unusable due to throttling. We were in a high usage area; I was getting .3 Mbps down for speeds. We had used 23 gigs of data at that point. As soon as we returned home, all was back to normal. Last month we used just over 80 gigs on the Mobley.

I have to question your definition of unusable with a .3 Mbps download speed. That should still be plenty fast to load web pages, send and receive email, and do lots of other things online, with the possible exception of streaming video. Even then .3 mbps is likely enough to play lower resolution short you tube videos, and the like. I know many times when traveling that I would be thankful for a .3 Mbps connection
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I have to question your definition of unusable with a .3 Mbps download speed. That should still be plenty fast to load web pages, send and receive email, and do lots of other things online, with the possible exception of streaming video. Even then .3 mbps is likely enough to play lower resolution short you tube videos, and the like. I know many times when traveling that I would be thankful for a .3 Mbps connection

For my purposes of general web surfing and even this forum my connection was painfully slow. So slow that by my standard, it was unusable.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I am sure the wheels are turning inside of ATT to figure out what to do about the fact that it is way too easy for the current Mobley OBD2 hotspot to be used as a general use data hot spot anywhere which has a much higher usage profile than they priced the Connected Car Program at.

I suspect that soon ATT will stop selling the current Mobley and will begin selling a new OBD2 Hot Spot that will only work if there is OBD2 bus data on the OBD2 data bus pins of the connector, to make sure it is plugged into a vehicle eligible for the connected car program.

That will be ATT's way to try to force the device to be used the way that it was intended on the connected car program, only inside of a vehicle and not as a totally portable mobile hotspot.

Of course, clever engineers will eventually invent and sell a power adapter that works around this, but it will be a more expensive power adapter than the current ones available for the Mobley.
When I went into the ATT store and set up my account they asked me if I wanted an 110v adapter.

Also I just checked and they still have the $20.00 unlimited deal going. I would think if they were worried about it they would have either raised the price or canceled the deal.

I have now gotten my second bill and I love it. Only problem I have is sometime I have to unplug and replug to get it to start working again.
Turbojack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
I just checked and they still have the $20.00 unlimited deal going. I would think if they were worried about it they would have either raised the price or canceled the deal.
ATT is a huge corporation and they move slowly, like a huge ship. But if (or when) they eventually realize that this program is losing money, they will react. This doesn't have to happen, but those who over-work their accounts are making it much more likely.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
When I went into the ATT store and set up my account they asked me if I wanted an 110v adapter.

Also I just checked and they still have the $20.00 unlimited deal going. I would think if they were worried about it they would have either raised the price or canceled the deal.

I have now gotten my second bill and I love it. Only problem I have is sometime I have to unplug and replug to get it to start working again.
I had the same issue having to reboot mine every couple of days and sometimes every day. Called connected car and they couldn't resolve it either. Followed the advice of another forum member and bought a digital timer ($9 at walmart ) and set it to turn off for a few minutes each night while I sleep. Works for me.