Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Mobley use

My mobley has worked great around the house and on the trips we took last year. This winter we are sitting just east of Ocala and the mobley is randomly but regularily shutting down. I suspect it is a weak signal since all of our AT&T phones have only 1 bar but the signal is stable and no problem with dropouts on the phones.

Just wondered if I was overlooking something else before jumping to the signal strength idea. It is odd because it works great when it is working and there is no hint of a signal issue but all of a sudden the mobley quits. Both LEDs go black. Powering it down and resetting restore the service so it is not broken or anything. I'm assuming the signal did not change during the time I am rebooting the mobley. It comes right back to life after I power it down to reset on the same signal it was getting before.

I have checked the power supply (ebay transformer/adapter plugged into 110 wall socket) and do not see any power interruptions when this occurs. Since I chased the random power loss in the coach all last summer I first thought it had returned but that demon has been exorcised for the time being with the new inverters and batteries. The shore power shows no interruption that i have been able to catch with my latching relay mousetrap.

I have tried a number of different locations in the coach and just when I think it has a better signal it starts dropping out again.

Any ideas I'm missing? Thanks for the consideration!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

You do remember that there is an automatic power off time limit that is set via your computer?
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If BOTH leds go black it is losing power. Try using the code port under the steering.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Al, put the Mobley in your toad using the OBD port and see what happens. Try moving a few feet and see if the signal improves using the access software. One bar on your phones would worry me using it for data.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
If BOTH leds go black it is losing power. Try using the code port under the steering.
No OBD Port on a Diesel without an adapter.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
How long does it typically work before it quits? You might take it with you when you go somewhere else (such as a restaurant) that has a better signal and see whether the stronger signal corrects the problem.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
You do remember that there is an automatic power off time limit that is set via your computer?
X2

Also, different 120V adaptors are better than others. I had one that didn’t work well at all.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #8

I had a Mobley that had to be replaced. I'm having the shutdown problem as well with the replacement unit.

I did change the first one to remain on, for the life of me I couldn't find the same path online to do this on the new one.

If anyone remembers the steps that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
I had a Mobley that had to be replaced. I'm having the shutdown problem as well with the replacement unit.

I did change the first one to remain on, for the life of me I couldn't find the same path online to do this on the new one.

If anyone remembers the steps that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
If you haven't they need to be plugged into a laptop to accomplish this.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #10

Download the AT&T Mobley WIFI Manager. Power up the Mobley then log into the Mobley with the device that you downloaded the Mobley WIFI Manager to. The mobley does not have to be connected to be physically connected to the device. Open the manager the login is attmanager, I think. Please excuse me if I am wrong I am doing this from memory. I no longer use the Mobley device. I moved the sim card to a Netgear 781s, much better device same cost per month $20.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

Does the Netgear 781s have a better antennae than the mobley and/or have you tried the auxiliary antennae available for the 781s? If I acquired a 781s from AT&T will my mobley sim card activate it without any other action? If the 781s can handle the reduced signal strength better it might be my easiest solution. I haven't tried tin foil on the rabbit ears with the mobley, though.

The problem is definitely the signal from what I can tell. Relocating it within practical limitations does not seem to help. It will not even connect in the toad.
I always wondered how the mobley could work so well being so small. We have a less than stellar AT&T signal in our home but the mobley always worked well and would stay connected for days so I had a lot of faith in it before parking here. Leave it up to me to park over the AT&T black hole for the winter.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #12

The 781 has a better antenna and has external antenna ports. I use the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors from Amazon $27.43. The 781 is also dual frequency 2.4 and 5 Mhz. You can also connect 15 devices to the 781s. That is what drove me to check it out, I need to connect 6 devices. My Mobley was already activated. All I did was remove the sim card from the Mobley, put it in the 781 and turn the 781 on. I got my 781 on ebay $25 looks new. When you power up the 781 the display tells you the ssid and login then you can go into the menu and change it. The AT&T manager for it is different than the Mobley, do a search for AT&T 781s WI-FI Manager.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
redcolrado, thank you for that great bit of information! BTW, nice truck.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

I just recently had to repair my ac adapter for the mobley. There was an intermittent connection right at the OBD molded plug which would cause the mobley to drop out and reset. Symptom was no power led. Verified the problem with a fluke meter and while moving the wire.

Cory
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote