Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthompson View Post
FYI:I am told the shades are wired in a series of 2 or more shades. If a motor in that series begins to fail, it will affect the downstream shade motors. Seems odd. But I am told it is not the motor that fails, but the limit mechanism.
By limit mechanism, are you refering to the circuit within the motor assembly?
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #44

Roll shades up and Velcro straps work good. We have had 4 rolled up at one time for extended periods
Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I believe they should recall and replace them all till the problem goes away. Thoughts??

Rob Thompson
I can see where that would be a problem now. Some have only had a few motors go out (me) others, numerous motors. I talked to a 2013 Cornerstone owner while in ID. He originally had the green motors, with several failures. All were replaced with yellow motors and not a problem in over 2 years. I can see Entegra's reasoning, where do you draw the line? If I had numerous motor failures and the Red motors turn out to be problem free, then yes I would want all of mine replaced. If I continue to only have a few go out, I am happy with replacement motors and a couple of spares to carry. Traveling with clipped up shades is not cool for a $300,000 plus MH.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Besides, you can clip them up if they won't go up but if they won't go down you can't do that, you are stuck without any shade at all.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
That's going to look cool....hanging my Batman towel in the windshield of a $300,000+ MH for everyone in the RV Park to see.

Noel said they can be unwound against the motor, hard but it can be done. I hope I don't have to try.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
It is difficult for me to see these comments from Entegra about limiting response to shade outages with replacements, given what has be stated by Tadd Jenkins. My sense is they are starting to change their tune (not a surprise); with the switch to MCDs, makes me wonder how much of this is United Shade pushing back, as they just lost their biggest customer, with no hope of getting them back. I think that leaves United with Thor as their only user.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
FYI:I am told the shades are wired in a series of 2 or more shades. If a motor in that series begins to fail, it will affect the downstream shade motors. Seems odd. But I am told it is not the motor that fails, but the limit mechanism.
Not true. If one shade goes out the ones down stream on the same circuit are not affected.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #50

FYI, Lost toll window night shade followed closely by front passenger night shade. Hope to get them both replaced in Bend at Beaver coach on Oct 29th. I took ownership July 20,2015.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Not true. If one shade goes out the ones down stream on the same circuit are not affected.
That is correct. Each shade has its unique channel on a multiplex shade controller. If multiple shades are programmed to a common button they are still on their own unique channel and do not share any common wiring, except for the power source that supplies the 16 channel shade controller.

The programmable limit mechanism is built into each shade motor on a circuit board and is part of the motor assembly. The motor may be fine but if the PCB is bad it will not operate.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The programmable limit mechanism is built into each shade motor on a circuit board and is part of the motor assembly. The motor may be fine but if the PCB is bad it will not operate.
Thanks for that clarification. That was my conclusion after disassembling the one motor. Any idea what is zapping the PCB?
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Voltage fluctuations, static electricity, heat, even interference from fluorescent or LED lighting can mess with some electronics.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Voltage fluctuations, static electricity, heat, even interference from fluorescent or LED lighting can mess with some electronics.

I'm hoping a system sensitive to EMI/RFI/ESI is not the case. This stuff was solved in the 80s.
It must be something simpler.
Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on how "price sensitive" the motors were designed. Maybe the technology in China hasn't caught up yet.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm hoping a system sensitive to EMI/RFI/ESI is not the case. This stuff was solved in the 80s.
It must be something simpler.
Best wishes!
It may have been solved/understood in the 80's, but it doesn't mean that everyone implements these solutions. It always comes down to cost when implementing a new design. The only thing downstream from a design is manufacturing and some/most engineers could give a rats a$$ about this.

When looking at putting something to market, EMI considerations do come into play, but it all depends on where the product will be used. New products, the FCC regulates Class A and Class B emissions. This is for home and commercial use. Going into a motorhome, well it MAY not require any of this testing.....Just a guess on my part....

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote