Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Entegra Owners Club
I will still weigh my coach loaded if for nothing else than to determine correct tire pressures. Noel, thanks for bringing up this thread as many of us learned from it.

Tom and Regina
2013 Entegra 44DLQ
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Motorhome Weight/CCC

So, just out of curiosity, what is the CCC of a 42RBQ Anthem?

monroesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
i have a 42rbq anthem
the front axel weight is 14850 lb the coach the henderson supension is rated at 14600 this is after spartan had 2 check vales and a regulator installed .is this a safty issue
gadgets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it has a tag. It can be adjusted to take some weight off the front axle.

I hope you have at least 295/80/22.5 or 315/80/22.5 tires.
Any tire smaller would be a safety issue.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
How did they "upgrade" the front axle to 17K? Tires are usually the limiting factor.....
2014 Newmar Essex 4544
2007 Lexus LX470 Toad
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #20

They installed a 17k placard. I'm not sure what the limiting factor is, if any, but it's not the tires. They are rated at over 9k each. I'm not sure any of the components are at the max weight yet. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Bob, on mine, they installed the 315 tires and new 9 inch rims when then uprated the sticker on the coach.
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
9 inch rims? Makes you wonder... the money they get for these things and they can't get the basics right the first time out... makes you wonder...
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Well, I am not sure there were any problems, they just wanted to up the CCC for everyone. I had my coach pretty well loaded, especially on the front and still was not over the CCC for the front axle and tires I had. With the new 315s and bigger rims I am now way under the Max CCC on the front axle. I know some folks had some weight problems on the front axle and Entegra choose to refit all the coaches to give everyone increased CCC. An added bonus, I can now carry less air in the front tires and get a better ride than before when I needed to carry 125 in them to carry the load. All just my experience and opinion.
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
Overweight Front Axle

I strongly advise anyone with an Entegra Coach take their coach to be weighed. Then pay close attention to the combined weight on the front wheels compared to the rating for the front axle.
I have a '12 Aspire on an Anthem chassis that when weighed at Spartan Factory, was overweight on the front axel. I have the 315 tires and had the 9 inch wheels that were removed by Spartan because they said there was a clearance problem, the tie-rod ends hit the wheel weights. My coach was carrying only 1,791 lbs. of cargo (I should be able to carry 8,011 lbs.) The fuel tank, water tank and holding tanks were not full. The solution I am told by Spartan is to place an upgraded sticker on the inside of my coach to a 15,200 lbs. front axle? So if I have a 10,000 lbs. tag, 20,000 lbs drive, and now a 15,200 lbs. front axle I should be able to carry 8,600 lbs. of cargo. So if I was overweight with 1,791 lbs. of cargo how much will I be able to carry before the axle is overweight again?
This is truly a safety issue and I do believe either Entegra or Spartan needs to accept they made a mistake and change out to a heavier front axle.
'12 Entegra Aspire RBQ
Mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
9 inch rims? Makes you wonder... the money they get for these things and they can't get the basics right the first time out... makes you wonder...
Entegra actually started the 2013 year in Nov 2011 as the 2012 Anthem 44 DLQ was over 1500 lbs overweight completely empty except for fuel. They replaced the front end with the same front end as the Cornerstone. But they didn't use the front fenders off the Cornerstone, which makes for a very tight fit in the tire well.
2013 Entegra 44DLQ Ebony Blaze
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited Toad
Shardan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin went through this a few years ago when they had overweight issues on the front axles. Through this I've learned a few things that I'll share.

!0 Chassis componentas are rated per "vocation". Components that get used harder get rated lower so thatthey can last longer. That's why you don't see 600 HP ISX engines in heavy trucks but every RV with the big ISX gets it rated at 600 HP. RVs just don't rack up the miles or tax things that hard. Axles are no different. My 2007 Spartan axle is actually a 22K axle but it is rated at 20K because that's where it would be rated in a truck chassis. They just never bothered to uprate the nameplate for RV usage - at least not at that time.

2) These coaches get heavy with all the amentities, solid surface tops, ceramic tile floors, etc. That puts more stress on the CCC, which keeps going down. A single axle 40' coach can really get stressed on the rear axle. Going to a tag axle gives you more than enough capacity on the rear end so that you have plenty of CCC. The drawback is that the tag axle also transfers weight to the front axle because it uses the drive axle as a fulcrum and transfers some weight forward as the tag pushes down.

3) Tiffin had issues, mainly beginning in the 2008 model year where the 42' Allegro Bus was overweight on the front axle. The axle was rated at 14,320 lbs but that was limited by the 275 tires. Tiffin initially swapped out the 275s for 295s with wider rims (8" versus 7.5") for some customers. That gave them 14,600 lbs of capacity. The real fix came in late 2009 when they went to a 15,600 lb axle. The 295s were easily capable of that but the axles were uprated. The only difference between the two axles was the wheel bearings. The brakes and suspension were identical. Because RV vocations were rated as occaisional use they eventually were given permission to use the same 14,600 lb axles, issue new 15,600 lb stickers and only had to upgrade the tires and rims.

4) A tag/driver axle setup should be proportioned so that 2/3 of the weight is on the drive axle while 1/3 is on the tag. Proportioning valves split the air pressure to the suspension bags to accomplish that. However, if the valve isn't set right everything changes. If the valve is applying excessive pressure to the tag, the tag will pickup more weight than it should. It'll also transfer more weight to the front (steer) axle and that's where the biggest problem occurs. If the front axle is properly spec'd for the coach, then there should be no reason to play games and lower the tag axle pressure in order to relieve the load from the front axle. That's a band-aid that doesn't fix anything, not the correct fix nor the way the chassis was designed to operate.

5) In all practicality, whether your weight placard states a 14K or a 16K front axle capacity it won't make a difference and there won't be a safety issue. You can drive one of each for 20 years and tear them down afterwards and they'll have the same amount of wear. However, tire capacity is critical. There is no room for overloading when it comes to tires and they need to be sized and inflated correctly in order to operate safely. This means that you do have to know how much weight each tire is carrying. Weighing your coach when new is important to establish this. It will also show you if your tag axle proportioning valve is set correctly. I would also recommend rolling it across a truck scale annually to confirm that things haven't changed.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

motorhome, weight